Powder, ointment, or both?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike497

Contributor
I have been accustomed to wearing diapers at night for quite a while for bedwetting. I use a good quality brief that for me can last 8 hours plus, I used to just use a bit of powder to cut down on diaper sweat and clamminess. Having started to wear during daytime now I found out the hard way that powder alone isn't cutting it and ended up with a nasty rash and something that looks like elephant skin between my inner thighs. I couldn't take the pain and had to make an emergency run to Walmart.. the only place open at that hour and pick up a tube of desitin. Relief was almost instant desitin works well, but now for my question.. what do most IC people here use cream or powder or both to prevent rash? I have been using the desitin at every change since then and my rash is clearing up is it best to use this stuff at every change? Don't know if using both defeats the purpose of one or the other because the powder sticks to wherever the desitin is on my lower.. guess I will just use cream for now and maybe powder later for summer and heat. Any advice for a newbie? Thanks

Ringer

Est. Contributor
Mike
You will find this depends on how active you are and what the weather is.
In the winter I use only Desitin and then only where needed. This along with a dusting of powder on my bottom is usually enough.
In the warm months I tend to use a lot more powder and a coating of cream.
The trick to diaper rash is to keep clean and as dry as possible. Prevention, as you have found out is better than cure.
If you can find a way air out every day. I spend at least an hour on a pad with no diaper every day.
Hope everything clears up ok.

BabyToddler

Est. Contributor
During the summer time I use Johnson & Johnson baby powder the cornstarch one. If I had a bad rash I will use A+D Treat Diaper Rash Cream. For some reason that one works really good on my skin. They also have a Prevent Diaper Rash Cream but that one did not work for me. The only thing that did prevent me from having another diaper rash was three things that work. One was a little Vaseline Pure Petroleum Jelly that work great on my skin. Second was JOHNSON'S Baby Lotion with Aloe Vera & Vitamin E this also work good. And third thing is after a used diaper try to change it quick if you can. It will help cut down on the diaper rashes. Oh and another thing that also work for me was the Huggies One & Done baby wipes cucumber and green tea scent. Sometimes I have those little tiny sap balls on my skin and it was always good to wipe those off.

oleman72

Est. Contributor
In the morning after I get out of the shower and get ready for my first diaper of the day. I use Balmex diaper rash cream on my inner thighs and through my crotch. I also apply J&J cornstarch powder. Normally my first diaper
is when I'm out and about and most active. The rest of my changes through the day and into my overnight diaper I use only the powder. I find this works best for me.

Inconinmiss

Est. Contributor
I have found that for me the likelihood of getting a diaper rash depends in large part on the brand of disposable I'm wearing. I'm much more likely to get a rash if I'm wearing a Bambino or Tena than if I'm wearing an Abena. So you might want to try different brands and see if you can find one that is less likely to produce a rash. Provided I'm wearing an Abena, all I generally need to prevent a rash is to clean myself thoroughly with baby wipes during each diaper change. Powder and ointments are not necessary for me.

jdinvirginia

Est. Contributor
Mike,

You may find that ordinary Vaseline works well as a barrier cream when used as a preventative (and is much less expensive). Save the Desitin for when any rash problems first begin. Then try a more aggressive product such as Triple Butt Paste when you really have a bad rash.

When you can , try to wash at each change.

--JD

incontinentGM24

Est. Contributor
Mike,

You may find that ordinary Vaseline works well as a barrier cream when used as a preventative (and is much less expensive). Save the Desitin for when any rash problems first begin. Then try a more aggressive product such as Triple Butt Paste when you really have a bad rash.

When you can , try to wash at each change.

--JD
I never even gave that I thought. Thank you for the idea! I think I'll be using that starting…Tomorrow.

Resplasboy

Est. Contributor
although not IC, when I've worn diapers for an extended time I use plenty of sudocream (here in UK), its like a barrier cream, saves getting a rash.

Descolada

Est. Contributor
I usually just use liberal amounts of powder. When I'm padding up overnight or doubling up, I'll sometimes opt to use some ointment, depending on whether I've been wearing a lot recently. Basically if my skin feels at all irritated, I'll use extra precautions, and I virtually never get diaper rash.

As for the powder AND the ointment, I've personally never tried. It would seem pointless to me, as far as I can figure you'd just be thickening whatever ointment you used with baby powder, and possibly creating some sort of caked-on mess to deal with later. From my personal experience and from reading above, I'd say stick to one or the other, bearing in mind you really can't be too careful when it comes to avoiding a rash.

EDIT: I suppose you could effectively use both if you chose the locations strategically. (I.E. Cream on the leg cuffs or wherever irritation is worst, and then powder on the waistband area to prevent sweatyness/chafing.)

Waddles

Est. Contributor
Surprisingly, the recommendation is to avoid the use of baby powder now, linked to UTI's, respiratory problems from inhaling the airborne particles, the possible link to Cervical Cancer (not confirmed from what I read), along with getting infection in skin tears and breakdown areas. Not absolutely sure on the accuracy of this but found info on multiple websites. The local hospital here banned it from the building, along with most of the rest in the area's hospitals, a barrier cream is sufficient to avoid any problems with rashes etc, that is what I have done for years and have very few outbreaks of rashes. Poke around and search info, it is interesting what you can find, but it is up to you.

Bigbabybret

Est. Contributor
Surprisingly, the recommendation is to avoid the use of baby powder now, linked to UTI's, respiratory problems from inhaling the airborne particles, the possible link to Cervical Cancer (not confirmed from what I read), along with getting infection in skin tears and breakdown areas. Not absolutely sure on the accuracy of this but found info on multiple websites. The local hospital here banned it from the building, along with most of the rest in the area's hospitals, a barrier cream is sufficient to avoid any problems with rashes etc, that is what I have done for years and have very few outbreaks of rashes. Poke around and search info, it is interesting what you can find, but it is up to you.
Yes,

You are correct...talc is bad stuff...and even worse is the amount of other minerals in there...some of those are even worse!

But, fear not, you can still get the same smell and feeling from j&j corn starch baby powder...

Works pert near the same...smells good...without all the cancer and such... :)

When I read about this years ago...it was rediculous...they knew it was bad, but kept producing it...

Not quite as bad a cigarettes...but!

Preston

Est. Contributor
Prevention is always the best course to take. Since diaper rash is a yeast infection caused by Candida, I wash my diaper area with Head & Shoulders shampoo about once a week. The active ingredient is an anti-fungal. I try to let it sit for a few minutes before rinsing it off. So far, it seems to be working. Haven't had a rash - even in summer - for several years.

downtide

Est. Contributor
To be honest I rarely use either. I'll use a bit of powder in the summer if the weather is very hot but otherwise I just wash with soap and water after every change, and in nearly 2 years of being 24/7 I've yet to have a rash.

mattyd

Est. Contributor
Since I live in the south, it even gets in the 70s in winter sometimes. I almost always use destin cream, the good smelling one. The few times I don't, I've got a rash. When that happens, I use the other destin cream that smells nasty. I do powder often due to the smell and it helps in the heat. I also stay shaved usually, helps with cleanup and I tend to get less rashes. I find destin cream also helps reduce itching after shaving too.

Rogers

Est. Contributor
^^mattyd "the good smelling" I think is the max strength Desitin in the purple tube, works great and is really thick shtuff.

I use a topical steroidal ointment (Dr. prescribed) and Desitin (regular or max strength when needed) I generally don't use powder because of the caking effect it has. I try to keep my self clean and dry so I change if I wet as soon as I possibly can. I use baby wipes and try to stray away from using lots of soap (unless am bathing when I can rinse really well) being that they can actual dry out my skin and also cause a rash which I battle with already.

checkingoutall

Est. Contributor
Using something for diaper rash prevention depends on what type of diaper I am wearing and for how long I before I am going to be changed. I have found that when I wear my Abena that I dare not use any type of diaper cream or oils because it causes the diaper to break apart. So when I wear Abena I use nothing. If I wear cheaper cloth backed diapers, I have to use diaper rash cream because I do get raw around the leg opening area. I have found that Walmart's Equate Diaper Rash cream, the purple one, has 40% Zinc as active ingredient is the best for me. When I use it, I will also use powder so that the diaper doesn't stick to the cream. I have found that on some adult diapers is using just cream, it sometimes clogs the diaper up and they don't absorb as much. But when I put powder over the cream, then things work out o.k.

Status
Not open for further replies.