3 hour dentist appointment

Slip92

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent
I’m having some major dental work tomorrow, so much so that its taking 3 hours under local anaesthetic - this is bad enough, but also have the misfortune of being heavily incontinent.

I’m concerned about my nappy situation, particularly as I’m likely to use it excessively if I experience any pain whilst my mouth gets worked on. Even on a quiet day, I generally fill my nappy within about 3 hours and have to change. Even when I wear a onesie, I generally have a huuuuuuuge bulge from the wetness which I reckon will only be emphasised when led in a dentists chair!

Advice and support welcomed and appreciated!

BobbiSueEllen

A sweet AB toddler girl in diapers
Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Sissy
If it helps, you might want to double-diaper...if you wear disposables, that means perforating the outer lining of the inner diaper, of course. Do you have plastic pants? Those might be a good idea, too.

One thing that'll really help: when you go, take a small bottle of water and 3 ibuprofens with you, leave 'em in the car. When you get out from the dentist, immediately tuck the ibuprofens into your mouth onto your tongue, then pour some water carefully in your mouth and swallow. This will really help with the pain once the local anesthetic starts wearing off. I did this 5 times in the summer of 2018 when I had all my teeth removed...it pulled me through nicely. Hope that helps! Good luck!

daylight

Est. Contributor
Role
Incontinent
My dentist asks for medical disclosures that said, I don't disclose. You may want to in your case with the duration of the work and because of the awkward angle that you are in. Best of luck with the dental work.

Not to add stress, about 15 years ago, I had a longer procedure in the reclined position, the protection (pull up) didn't work and the top of the pants and shirt was wet. Cringe still today about that. I would note that a diaper may not fair either without some additional geometry considerations. So, this maybe a case to use a lot more than you normally would.

Brandi

Est. Contributor
Role
Incontinent
Slip92, if this is causing you worry, it is a good time to disclose. You can ask to talk to your dentist privately. Then just use reasonable precautions. Your body is naturally on the dehydrated side when you awake in the morning. Don't drink much before the appointment. Wear a good diaper to the appointment. Most long procedures have opportunities for a break, which you can use to change. You can take a small bag with an extra diaper and some clothing. Most offices have a staff restroom somewhere out of sight. Your dentist will probably let you use it to change if you are wet after the procedure--you just have to ask. Don't think you are their only patient with this problem. But they can't help you if you don't tell them that you have a problem.

Slomo

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Incontinent
I'd also recommend you use a booster or otherwise double diaper. Or possibly better yet, if you have them then wear your overnight diapers during the procedure (or get some if you don't have any). You will have confidentiality privledges with a dentist, so being up front with needing diapers can save you from even much worse embarrasement later on.

I'm sure my dentist has noticed my diaper bulge, even in spite of my clothing being adapted for the added padding (incontinence is in my chart too). Especially when I've been in a crinklz all day at work then immediately go for a 5:30pm cleaning. As long as I don't smell or leak nothing is ever said. So take the precautions you need to and don't worry about it.

Oh, I too would recomment taking a pain med immediately after the procedure. That local wearing off can be a serious pain (literally). You won't feel like you need to, but it will help.

RMS401

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Having also worn and used diapers in the dentist's chair, I would recommend a booster (cloth or disposable) placed toward the top of the diaper, perpendicular to the crotch, which will create a barrier that should help with waistband leaks. Ideally, you want a waterproof barrier, but that could just redirect the urine elsewhere. An absorbent one stands a better chance of helping by absorbing any northbound streams.

-RMS

KitsuneFox

> Likes Cuddles <
Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent, Carer
Forcing yourself to pee right before the procedure helps ... also not drinking anything for 3 - 4 hours before it starts .
There are quite a few options for high capacity diapers + boosters.

SoCalIncon

Contributor
Role
Incontinent
If youre drinking normal amounts of fluid a high quality diaper like better dry or rearz should easily last. Id say limit your fluid intake b4 the appointment. Add a booster.