What do you do about a crushed Thumbnail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
So I crushed my thumbnail at work, I can still use my thumb so it's not too bad, but man does it hurt (though hopefully that soon fades) ; this must be what it feels like when someone slams the car door on your thumb

I figured this was another technical question about site changes and thumbnails for pics.

I am not a doctor and I haven't really mashed my thumbnail good before but I did kick a half-buried pipe by mistake while walking across a field and it broke my big toenail, which is basically the thumb of your foot. Ideally, you just mashed yours and it hurts, rather than having broken the nail beneath the cuticle. If there is bleeding beneath your nail, you may need to relieve pressure. I wound up drilling in carefully with the tip of a sterilized knife. I would only consider this if there is substantial blood showing beneath the nail and if swelling and pain persist into the next day and beyond.

If the nail is broken, you will have to let it grow out to fix it. I suspect the risk of an ingrown toenail is higher than a thumbnail given the pressure and very frequent use. Still, keep an eye on how it is growing out if it has broken. You may have to cut it to the quick (ouch!) in order to keep it in line and get it back on a healthy growth track.

I sure hope none of these complications arise for you and it will feel better in a day or two.

It doesn't appear to be bleeding, it just hurts a lot from throbbing pain, it hurts of I use it, it hurts if I dont use it.

But I'm at work and will have to work through the pain.

It looks like it should heal fine though.

how is your thumb getting on? Is there blood (a black patch) under the nail?

Well, it never got black, but it was looking an ugly bruised purplish color, and the pain was getting worse; so I ended up having to relieve the pressure and almost immediately the pain went down 2 notches, I think i should be pain free within a day or two and the whole thing should be healed not too long afterwards.

After I've done a job on a thumb or finger, I often wrap a bandage around it, just to protect it. Of course, I'm using the finger or thumb the next day playing piano, so wrapping the injured appendage with a plastic band aid seems to help a little.

Been there, done that!!!

IT looks ugly and will only go away after as the nail grows out.

It's been a little over a week. How are you doing?

Trevor said:
It's been a little over a week. How are you doing?
It's almost completely healed and there is almost no pain (probably like a 1/10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back