Incontinence Advice

Incontinence2017

James
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
This thread is for anyone who may need advice dealing with there incontinence.

Hi, my name is James, I have been dealing with incontinence for about 3 years and have faced many obstacles along the way, I mostly spend my time alone (out side of work) and have decided to join this site in hopes of meeting and conversing with others who deal with incontinence, I have been rather successful in this endeavor and hope that my exsperince can aid you with your situation.

Please drop any questions and comments down below, I will do my best to stay active, I do have 2 jobs so it will be difficult.

Incontinence2017.

I am incontinent and wear nappies 24/7 and always happy to chat on here.

How to budget for incontinence:
Let's assume your using adult diapers to manage your incontinence. Let's assume you use 4 diapers per day and the average case of diapers comes with 96 of them and cost about 35 to 50 dollars, you should be able to budget 85 dollars a month for your diapers, if your using a top of the line brand you likely need to budget 140, to 250 dollars a month. Let's also assume your budgeting for for things like wips and cream, that will be another 20 to 30 dollars based on what brand you buy. Over all its good idea to budget at least 300 dollars per month to manage your incontinence. How much do you spend per month? I Only spend about 80 dollars per month, sometimes more when I purchased condom catheters. Hope you found this bit helpful.

Incontinence 2017 AKA James.

Hey James, I don't have that bad incontinence although I have trouble making it to the bathroom from time to time because of my cerebral palsy so I wear diapers just in case. I look forward to talking with you.

Hi James
your right dealing with incontinence issues is not cheap my budget is probably around 240 per month now and growing as my IC issue has grown worse over time and the cost of premium diapers keeps rising.

its the one line in our budget that can not be cut only expanded

Incontinence2017 said:
Let's assume your using adult diapers to manage your incontinence. Let's assume you use 4 diapers per day and the average case of diapers comes with 96 of them and cost about 35 to 50 dollars, you should be able to budget 85 dollars a month for your diapers, if your using a top of the line brand you likely need to budget 140, to 250 dollars a month. Let's also assume your budgeting for for things like wips and cream, that will be another 20 to 30 dollars based on what brand you buy. Over all its good idea to budget at least 300 dollars per month to manage your incontinence. How much do you spend per month? I Only spend about 80 dollars per month, sometimes more when I purchased condom catheters. Hope you found this bit helpful.

Fortunately in the UK once you are diagnosed with incontinence and refered to the NHS Continence service you get help with nappies and cream etc.

Incontinence2017 said:

250 a month for premium diapers, $300? Where did you get se numbers from?

I splurge for Crinklz, but assuming you wouldn't want the slightly added cost lets look at betterdry. They cost $99 for 60, or $1.65 each. You only need 2 of these diapers per 24 hours, so that's $3.30 per day. For 30 days that's still just $99.

Compared to your $80+ per month, they aren't that far off in cost. Plus I get the added bonus of using a diaper that doesn't leak anywhere near as often like other diapers, and I only have to change half as often as you (including the once in the middle of the night you'd need to change).

As for wipes, creams, etc. You don't need to use all of that with every single change. Heck, I only use it when I have a rash. Which is seldom. I doubt I have to spend even $5 a month on diaper related supplies. So already you're spending at least $110 per month where I only need to spend $105. So tell me again how do you figure someone needs to budget for $300 per month......

I spend about $3 per month. Basically I buy huggies baby wipes in bulk. Diapers and ointment are free thanks to the v.a. But if I did buy them, it would be around $100 or less per month.

Its, a number that I through out there based on usage statistics, I hardly ever spend more than $85, its all based on a ball point number, its not just for diapers, also includes other products like catheters, its based on your needs.

Incontinence2017 AKA James...

Incontinence2017 said:
Its, a number that I through out there based on usage statistics, I hardly ever spend more than $85, its all based on a ball point number, its not just for diapers, also includes other products like catheters, its based on your needs.

Incontinence2017 AKA James...

Most anyone shouldn't be spending more than around $150-$175 per month on incontinence supplies- for any reason (unless they actually want to at least). You and I are both fully urinary incontinent, yet don't come close to even that. And you're probably lower still because you still use catheters. Throwing $300 out there like that was complete misinformation, especually given you had no proof, statistics, or actual reasoning behind it.

I spend $250 to $300 per month on diapers. I usually use 3 BetterDry diapers per day. I live in Canada, and name brand diapers are more expensive than in the States.

Inconinmiss said:
I spend $250 to $300 per month on diapers. I usually use 3 BetterDry diapers per day. I live in Canada, and name brand diapers are more expensive than in the States.

Wow, ouch. Sorry to hear that. That has to be costing you about $3 per diaper, which is insanely high.

That's why I through 300 dollars out there as a budget figure, because some people pay close to that number

Unfortunately Betterdry or Crinklz diapers are extremely expensive here in Canada due to the limited availability and the fact theres only one company that’s directly impoting the diapers from Thrustvector in Germany. its easy to spend north of $300 per month if you order the Crinklz version.

Fortunately Diapers are a tax deductible at least a percentage of the cost is but the household budget takes a big hit every year.

We are very lucky in the UK as one diagnosed we get a supply free from the NHS Continence service. I buy any extras I need from ebay.

I wish I could be diagnosed with incontinence so I could get help with getting my diapers I only spend about 120 for everything I need to get by which is severe bedwetting and moderate leakage in the day or actually when I am up and about

Rob110 said:
Hi James
your right dealing with incontinence issues is not cheap my budget is probably around 240 per month now and growing as my IC issue has grown worse over time and the cost of premium diapers keeps rising.

its the one line in our budget that can not be cut only expanded

There are 2 brands that cost 15 dollars and have 40 per bag, assurance stretch briefs available at Walmart and a walgreens Curtanty unisex briefs, both are good inexpensive brands u usual spend about 30 bucks a month for 80 diapers about 3 per day, even if you need to buy 4 packs per month, you will save money.

Luckily I can get by using only two disposable diapers a day, and a cloth diaper for nighttime, and my disposables aren't the top line premium diapers other use. I pay for my own diapers and all the accessories going with being in diapers around the clock. This despite I'm incontinent and it's in my records.

Here's how I manage to keep my diaper budget down to a reasonable level.
Clothdiapers and cloth diaper boosters have an initial cost, which may seem high, but if you gradually start to purchase a couple of adult clothdiapers, and cloth diaper boosters (you can get really good ones on eBay, for a bargain), then you'll start to see your diaper budget declining. Because of two things; your now using a superior diaper booster with your disposable diaper, which enhances the diapers wicking capabilities, while boosting your diaper holding capacity. This means you can begin using cheaper diapers on a daily basis.

For instance, I'm using a branch called Seguna Maxi, buying them from saveexpress in Germany.

18 diapers for 10.99€, I usually use two packs a month. It's a nice diaper, it's Plastic backed, and with my cloth diaper booster it matches and even outperforms Betterdry and a lot of the other top notch high capacity diapers out there, which cost twice of what the Seguna Maxi costs, and for less quantities.

Weekends I use Seni Quattro, if I'm not just using pure cloth diapers, depending on the plans for my weekend. Going out etc.
So add two packs of Seni Quattro to the budget, each of these costs 7.99€

Which means my monthly diaper budget hovers around 38€ a month, for diapers only.
Then there's rash creme, and waterproof pants, I use Gary wear actively. Waterproof pants will set you back 24$ per pair, you need three pairs, and they will last you years if you take proper care for them.
Rash creme, sudo creme, costs around 12€, and lasts two months minimum. Which then increases my budget to 44€ a month. A far cry from the 250-300$ others mentioned, as their monthly diaper budgets.

Sure, if you do want to only use the high priced premium diapers, it is likely the budget will increase to these high levels.
But I get the same capacity from less expensive diapers combined with what I found was helpful. And my diaper combination makes sure the whole diaper has been used, before I need to change. Something even the high level premium diapers struggle with, before they start to leak.

Reactions: Incontinence2017
Incontinence2017 said:
There are 2 brands that cost 15 dollars and have 40 per bag, assurance stretch briefs available at Walmart and a walgreens Curtanty unisex briefs, both are good inexpensive brands u usual spend about 30 bucks a month for 80 diapers about 3 per day, even if you need to buy 4 packs per month, you will save money.

I have tried different brands of diapers in an attempt to reduce costs but have not found any that donot leak on a regular basis, for me I would rather pay a bit more for a premium diaper I can trust to do its job then deal with cheaper diapers that do not work as well.
since switching to betterdry diapers my day time leaks are as close to zero as you can get and night time leaks are also reduced.

I guess if my bladder issue changes from full floods to a constant drip a more budget friendly diaper may work but for now the peace of mind of knowing my diaper will do its job is worth the expense.

Rob110 said:
I have tried different brands of diapers in an attempt to reduce costs but have not found any that donot leak on a regular basis, for me I would rather pay a bit more for a premium diaper I can trust to do its job then deal with cheaper diapers that do not work as well.
since switching to betterdry diapers my day time leaks are as close to zero as you can get and night time leaks are also reduced.

I guess if my bladder issue changes from full floods to a constant drip a more budget friendly diaper may work but for now the peace of mind of knowing my diaper will do its job is worth the expense.
I also flood sometimes, though not the volume as I used to, when I became incontinent. My choice of diapers, medium level, do not hold as much as a premium diaper, but add a cloth diaper booster and they will surpass a premium diaper, at half the cost.
I also used premium high capacity diapers in the beginning, but they never achieved the volume they advertised, not even close. Then I stumbled on an advice on another forum, suggesting using cloth in a disposable.
I never looked back ever since.
Compared to the diaper budgets I read in here, I'm satisfied with my budget, and level of protection.
I can get tthrough an entire workday plus commute time, without having to change before coming home.
That means a good 9-10 hours. I'm currently wearing my daytime diaper, put it on 5.30am and only now, am I starting to feel wetness creaping up in the back of my diaper. So I need to get changed.

Back