Hospital stay

jasonm03

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
So tonight I’m lying in my bed at the VA hospital went to ER this morning with massive abdominal pain woke up early morning with it. ER did a ultrasound but found nothing had to poop really badly all it was is blood and hurt real bad coming out. So sent me upstairs couple hours later dr is doing colonoscopy tomorrow I asked what does he think it is told me not to worry I pressed him really hard he thinks it’s colitis or IBD. At 1800 wife and child showed up 2030 nurse told them they had to leave visiting hours ended at 2000 hrs. So I’m lying here is my diaper with at t shirts on (wife brought clothes) waiting to fall asleep kind of funny how much you sleep in hospitals from sheer boredom in 10 mins nurse will check on me one last time and tell me I need to go to bed. I’m just can’t get a break I’ve had hard stools lately thought nothing of them but today it’s been painful

Oh geez that sounds hard hope you feel better soon

I'm sorry you're going through that.

Colitis is no fun, but with medication and sometimes lifestyle and/or diet changes is usually pretty manageable.

I wish you all the best, and I hope they're able to figure out what's going on quickly and find a treatment that works well for you.

Check out the carnivore diet. Lots of people have totally cured gi issues including chrohns and ulcerative colitis. I am one who had horrible IBS and pain. Been carnivore for 6 months, and I am 100% good now. Also lost some excess weight and my mental stability has never been better all my life. Some people just dont handle plants and or dairy well. Turns out if I cheat and eat anything except meat, I suffer.

Any word on the colonoscopy? Hopefully you get good news from it!

One problem with colonoscopy is that the doc always seems to come to give you results before all the meds wear off. I usually remember it when I've been given Versed, but my scope last Monday I got propafol and have no memories until I was back in my room hours later. I'll have to call my GI b next week to find out what they saw; meanwhile my UC flare continues.

Best wishes for a wonderful recovery!

Sorry for no update pretty out of it today colonoscopy at 0900 results around 1400 it’s IBD doc says keeping me until Monday to remove polyps their not cancerous wants to remove the four they found

you mean he did not take them while you was out the first time last scope they did on me they took them out while they had me out to save putting me back out

dwayne said:
you mean he did not take them while you was out the first time last scope they did on me they took them out while they had me out to save putting me back out
apparently not I’m not sure why but going to do it tomorrow I asked dr same question he didn’t have an answer for he said he’d talk to dr that did the colonoscopy seeing he wasn’t the one who did guess that’s the VA hospital for you

dwayne said:

They are legally not allowed to. When you go in for a colonoscopy, all you've authorized is for them to look at you. They need consent to actually operate, but remember you're out cold. Your doctor took sensible action, but also set himself up for a lawsuit by doing that.

I’ll be heading home in a couple of hours got the all clear to leave just waiting for them to discharge me I will be glad to leave. The first thing I’m doing is having a real meal with no nurse checking up on me. I’m still a little drowsy just waiting for med to wear off them I gone

If they have found polyps it sounds more like Diverticulitus than Irritable bowel. diverticulitis can produce the odd bloody stool but is more normally associated with cramping, pain, lots of gas and distension and you sometimes pass what appears to be mucous, like most things it's a case of finding what your triggers arae and trying to keep away from them (Parsnips is one of mine).

Ulcerative colitis robbed me of 10 years of my life. Horrible disease. 10 times worse than IBS. I had my colon removed giving me my life back. For the weeks before my surgery i couldn't safely leave the house without having a nappy on. I had multiple accidents and the nappies saved me each time. Messing myself was degrading and something i would never do on purpose.

Sorry to hear that Woolybobs. I havvevarious spinal and asociated nerve problems and have a totally incontinent bladder so also wear 24/7. Due to a new problem I've also started having the the odd bowel accident and whilst I was doubly incontinent until I was 14, i never did get over the feeling of humilation and now as a 63 year old it is that much worse.

Slomo said:
They are legally not allowed to. When you go in for a colonoscopy, all you've authorized is for them to look at you. They need consent to actually operate, but remember you're out cold. Your doctor took sensible action, but also set himself up for a lawsuit by doing that.

It would seem that rules differ across the pond.
I had a coloscopy 2 years ago for internal bleeding, they told me if they would find polips they would remove those instantly in one go.
It's inconvenient to have to sedate a patient a second time.
I did not have to sign a paper to give my authorisation for this, hospital procedures occured according to Belgian laws.

Reactions: Preciouslitlboy
Im sorry to hear this :( i was diagnosed with crohns last year and i dont have many problems yet and no pain but maybe thats due to my high pain tollerance, its not curable but i talked with the doc in the hospital and i asked him what we could do he said the only thing that could help is meds, but i told him in a very dominant way that i will never take meds because i dont trust the pharmacy industry and all they wanna do is make money... and those meds will only make you sicker, the side effects scare me and thats what ive told him i will not take any meds because it can cause lots of things to your bones etc! And he said alright if it gets worse it gets worse( actually i dont care its not curable anyway so) and i will never accept any surgery either... maybe its sounds wierd but its against my principles( and yes i know there is a risk of getting bowel incontinence... yes it would suck... but atleast ive have an excuse to wear diapers...) (ive liked diapers before my crohns)

I wish you alot of luck and i hope there is something they could do to help you...👍🏻

Last edited:
winterheart01 said:
I had a coloscopy 2 years ago for internal bleeding, they told me if they would find polips they would remove those instantly in one go.
I did not have to sign a paper to give my authorisation for this, hospital procedures occured according to Belgian laws.

You are from belgium?

winterheart01 said:

You might be right, though if you think about it they DID tell you before hand on if they would find polips they would remove them. The same follows for the US, as long as you're warned before hand then they can continue. If not, well our system in the USA is set up WAY to legally. Almost no doctor here is willing to do the right thing- not unless they have prior consent AND a clear indication it will improve or save their life.

I’ve had a couple of colonoscopies done where I live in the Toronto region of Canada. The consent forms that I signed specified that any polyps found would be removed.

Back