Okay, I don't know what is so offensive about not knowing what pronouns to use

dogboy

Est. Contributor
. People that wore no underwear but didn't want to be addressed as leakers would be required to have a hole in their clothes large enough to show they were bare down below. People with a hole would be called "A-holes" unless they had a tattoo on their butt specifying their preferred gender.

Problem solved! What's next on the list - global warming?
So what you're saying is that politicians don't wear underwear?

lilshelly

Est. Contributor
Okay so I will weigh in on this. As a transgender person MtF I have gotten to the point that I ignore it for the most part. I look female and wear age appropriate clothing dresses at times. I find that most people with correct themselves if I don't react to the use of a wrong pronoun. Maybe I am not as sensitive as some because I have learned to have a thicker skin. Now I will admit that I have mis gendered a person just at a glance but I correct myself quickly. I will even admit sometimes it is hard to gender someone when they are dressed in such away that you can't tell male or female or they are so obviously not the gender they are presenting themselves to be. I still no matter what try to be considerate of others. It has gotten hard these days. As for the pronouns yeah it also has to do with the way most people were raised. It was a sign of respect to use Sir or Miss or something to that effect.

Calico

Est. Contributor
Okay so I will weigh in on this. As a transgender person MtF I have gotten to the point that I ignore it for the most part. I look female and wear age appropriate clothing dresses at times. I find that most people with correct themselves if I don't react to the use of a wrong pronoun. Maybe I am not as sensitive as some because I have learned to have a thicker skin. Now I will admit that I have mis gendered a person just at a glance but I correct myself quickly. I will even admit sometimes it is hard to gender someone when they are dressed in such away that you can't tell male or female or they are so obviously not the gender they are presenting themselves to be. I still no matter what try to be considerate of others. It has gotten hard these days. As for the pronouns yeah it also has to do with the way most people were raised. It was a sign of respect to use Sir or Miss or something to that effect.
I am glad someone here understands.

Some trans people act like you misgender them on purpose or get offended when you don't know what pronouns to use and when you are afraid of getting them all offended if you guess wrong.

I have no idea if these two haters were trans. I looked at their profiles and they were like she/them or lesbian and she.

trysexiea

Est. Contributor
I am glad someone here understands.

Some trans people act like you misgender them on purpose or get offended when you don't know what pronouns to use and when you are afraid of getting them all offended if you guess wrong.

I have no idea if these two haters were trans. I looked at their profiles and they were like she/them or lesbian and she.
When you're usually trans, the first thing you'll try to do is to look like the most you want, so you usually feel bad about to be called by the opposite gender. Generally you take it as a slap shot, tried to take a slap when talking to you I do not know if you will be in a good mood after;)

- - - Updated - - -

To know how to protect oneself is good, after having to be careful not to overprotect oneself, to overprotect oneself is very easy but is rarely interesting, it is necessary to find a balance :)

I will even admit sometimes it is hard to gender someone when they are dressed in such away that you can't tell male or female or they are so obviously not the gender they are presenting themselves to be.
I'm not disagreeing with you here but that's an interesting statement coming from a transgender person. Transgender implies two distinct genders, one physical and one psychological. Correct me if I'm wrong but it's been my impression that transgenders are insisting the psychological gender is the true gender. To say a person is obviously not the gender they present implies true gender is determined by the physical characteristics.

LittleManAlex

Est. Contributor
For a group of people I'll use "guys" if I must, to me it just means people, but it's probably me exerting my toxic male masculinity patriarchal oppression or some other BS.

In general, I'll use "Sir" or "Mam" depending on what seems appropriate with no malicious intent. I am also willing to use "They/them"

But if I am compelled to use pronouns, I refuse on principle. If they throw a tantrum, I'll refuse. If they demand I use Zhey or Qhey or some other ridiculous pronoun I will refuse. I will try to treat everyone with civility... but I refuse to allow anyone to control the words I say.

CutePrincess

Est. Contributor
Be your self, the person can correct you in a way that is not over drama, some people do this to troll.

At the same time people troll others by ignoring the request, so sometimes what happens beforehand is missed.

If you are scared about offending people all the time, it is hard to live life, get off walking on eggshells.