3-D Printed Bladders

Leio

Est. Contributor
Well...

I've recently come across some news articles about how scientists have been growing bladder replacements in a lab and implanting them in a few people. There's also news that 3-D printing would form a sort of scaffold for bladder tissue to grow around and then the scaffolding would break down naturally as it's made from biodegradable material.

Being daytime IC can get... annoying at times... but I'm not sure if I'd do this. I guess that this fix only works for cases where incontinence originates from the bladder itself and may not work for cases where IC originates from elsewhere.

https://3dprintingindustry.com/news...-continues-to-function-after-14-years-139631/

jasonm03

Est. Contributor
I read the article it seems interesting although I don’t think I would do something like that. Like you daytime incontient can sometimes be annoying also being diapered 24/7 can be a hassle when out and about having to stop what you’re doing to change yourself can be a hassle so yes I know how you feel

P.S. thanks for the link

GeraldRoss

Est. Contributor
Interesting. I wonder, though, would it ever be possible to move 3D printing onto the next level, making it possible to print through solid objects? This could eliminate the necessity for many surgeries and allow, for example, to repair nerve tissue damage, enabling higher chances of rehabilitation for incontinent and para-/quadri- plegic people and much, much more...

dogboy

Est. Contributor
They've been doing that for a number of years. They started out with bladders for babies who were born with malformed bladders. They could use their own stem cells.

Slomo

Est. Contributor
That's what I was thinking. Scients have been using a scaffold and donor stem cells to grow new bladders for some time. (The heart too for that matter). It's only for when the bladder itself is the problem and literally needs replacing for whatever reason. It seems to work, but only in limited test cases so far.

Thats actually pretty cool, Im a 3d printing nerd, its one of my hobbies, but I think its still a ways away before it becomes a practical solution, but it has its applications.