Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
  4. Carer
  5. Other
So,
I've been thinking about what could've made a healthy 22-year old male incontinent, and I have a theory. I was wandering if anyone could confer this possibility.

A year ago, while in a pretty nasty fight. I was stabbed right below the stomach-mark near the waist. I was treated right away, but never suffered any residual effects til half a year ago. Could that stab wound have screwed something up? I'm trying to find the source so I can A: get better protection B: get a diagnosis from my doc when I see him in a month or C: all the above.

Any input would be appreciated.
thank you.

If, indeed, your injury is a reason, it's really strange, that the effect only showed half a year after it.
But you know, I've read many times, how a person got an injury of a spinal cord and only after a few days or weeks something serious (like inability to walk or something) actually manifested... So maybe you had some important nerve damaged and it still worked for some time before actually failing? Maybe it wasn't the spine, but as far as I know, there are lots of nerves in that region...

The most important thing I think is to wait for the exam results in the first place, always considered what's on health websites with very little consideration, but the most important first is to wait for exam results, not to stress unnecessarily :)

it may be possible but only your Doctor can tell you if its a possibility there are many causes for incontinence issues, theres no harm in upping your protection level now premium absorbant diapers are allways worth the cost as they give you peace of mind that they will do thier job and keep your pants dry.

Fire Band,Leio

The biggest risk of becoming IC is actually our NSD diagnosis this is stated fact from the medical society. for others theres a whole range of reasons why said IC develops . The best advice i can give is get some good diapers and some good PVC /PUL pants and await youre doctors appointment dear

Missy1 said:
Fire Band,Leio

The biggest risk of becoming IC is actually our NSD diagnosis this is stated fact from the medical society. for others theres a whole range of reasons why said IC develops . The best advice i can give is get some good diapers and some good PVC /PUL pants and await youre doctors appointment dear

There is really no reason to take a plastic slip, from the moment you respect it's recommendations> https://www.adisc.org/forum/showthread.php/120547-How-frequent-should-you-change-your-diaper There is no reason to have leaks or any problem, if you have doubts always take the highest absorption.

I can respect that BUT im rather more safe then sorry = i wear IC pants over the diapers as well

Missy1 said:
I can respect that BUT im rather more safe then sorry = i wear IC pants over the diapers as well

I say that because it can be scary, for a person who has just started to be incontinent, I mean it's not really essential, the disposable diaper is essential, but she can be self-sufficient :)

Fare enough im with you on that one :hug: And also of course its a matter of how severe said IC is and if its only Urine or fecal also.

Hi it's unlikely your stabbing would have caused theses symptoms so long after the injury. It could be psychological and no that doesn't make you mad, the body and brain sometimes have odd ways of dealing with things like stress, PTSD etc. You really need a full urolological run up. this normally comprises three different appointments. UroDynamics where you will be asked to turn up with a full bladder, you then have a pressure sensor inserted in your back passage (uncomfortable but not painful) and then urinate into a special bowl or pail. you will then be catheterised (again uncomfortable) and water will be injected into your bladder until you start to feel pain.

The second set of tests are two ultrasound scans so just cold, you again have to turn up with a full bladder, the first scan is done and then you are allowed to relieve yourself before the 2nd scan.

The final test is usually a Cystoscopy and can be painful. A small flexible camera is inserted into the urethra and the guided down through the bladder sphincters (that's the bit that can be painful) into the bladder so the doctor or technician can have a look for internal bladder problems. Hopefully one or more will produce results that can be treated.

you should also keep a diary and log every time you have an accident, approx how much urine you pass and whether you end up with wet clothes, sheets etc. If you are already using pads or nappies for you loss of control, weigh them when dry together with a small bin bag. when you wet them, put them in the bag and weigh them again this will let the doctor or Continence nurse know approx how much you pass when you have an accident. If you live in the UK and do have a problem your pads will be provided free of charge by the NHS.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm totally bladdder incontinent and always use waterproof pants over my dispopsable nappies even when I use Abri-form L4's I also tend to wear a plain coloured onesie if I am going to be out of the house for any length of time.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4719897/
In conclusion, we described a case of a male patient with tetanus whose UDS showed impaired urethral sphincter function, bladder sensation, and detrusor contractility, indicating abnormal motor neuron system function in the thoracic and sacral spinal cord. Hence, voiding dysfunction due to tetanus might be considered in the differential diagnosis of patients with a neurogenic bladder of unidentified causes and as an initial symptom of tetanus.

Tetanus can indeed cause the symptoms described, but unless urgent treatment is given to someone wh hasn't had a tetanus booster in the last 10 years to could also prove fatal.

do not turn this post into "Doctissimo" thanks!

Trysexia, who do you mean? Firstly my wife was a qualified nurse and I was a qualified Paramedic, I'm also totally bladder incontinent and have gone through all the various tests for incontinence including mri's so i do have some idea of what I'm talking about.

PCBaby said:
Trysexia, who do you mean? Firstly my wife was a qualified nurse and I was a qualified Paramedic, I'm also totally bladder incontinent and have gone through all the various tests for incontinence including mri's so i do have some idea of what I'm talking about.

Let the person do their medical exam, avoid unnecessary stress.

trysexiea said:
Let the person do their medical exam, avoid unnecessary stress.

pe3rsonally I like to know what is involved before I go for an exam or procedure. Sometimes the info you are given doesn't point out exactly what to expect, also it can be very stressful not knowing what is going to happen.

PCBaby said:
pe3rsonally I like to know what is involved before I go for an exam or procedure. Sometimes the info you are given doesn't point out exactly what to expect, also it can be very stressful not knowing what is going to happen.

It is also a good way to bring bad information. What is to be avoided no ?

Bad information no, i always try to give information based on current UK treatment guidelines or from personal experience.

My medication causes my incontinence and over active bladder just urinary though

Back