botox injections

Harleyrider89

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
i got botox injections in my bladder today and i know its early but how long does it usually take them to take effect. since the surgery it almost seems like i am having more issues but that could be just because i have drinking a lot of water.

From what I've read, too much botox can actually make you incontinent. Usually it works so see what happens tomorrow. It should work relatively soon I would think.

Harleyrider89 said:
i got botox injections in my bladder today and i know its early but how long does it usually take them to take effect. since the surgery it almost seems like i am having more issues but that could be just because i have drinking a lot of water.

Interesting, please keep us updated. My urologist has talked with me about this treatment and I have been too gunshy to pursue it thus far. How bad were your issues leading up to this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had my bladder Botoxed about 2 years ago. What a nightmare. Never again! I had to have a foley catheter inserted so I could drain, but still had damn bladder spasms, so I'd urinate around/past the catheter. I was still in diapers even after because of that. I'd rather have my damn sphincter Botoxed so that I don't naturally fight the spasms.

worst thing right know since having it done is the slight pain when peeing. Mayhem when you had yours done how fast did it take effect.

mayhem said:
I had my bladder Botoxed about 2 years ago. What a nightmare. Never again! I had to have a foley catheter inserted so I could drain, but still had damn bladder spasms, so I'd urinate around/past the catheter. I was still in diapers even after because of that. I'd rather have my damn sphincter Botoxed so that I don't naturally fight the spasms.

Mayhem, I’m curious to hear you elaborate as well - as this is a treatment I’ve been considering.

Do not forget to take into consideration the possible side effects, it is very important to check that it can be present, it is necessary to consider the risks and their percentage, not what usually once the side effects present it can be difficult (heavy surgery) even impossible to get rid of it. The question is are you ready to support the consequences of a complication that may be much worse than the original cause, and the complications may include the original problem obviously.

- - - Updated - - -

mayhem said:

I think it's not you who will contradict me on this point :)

Leio said:
Hm... I've been following this thread as I have become urinary incontinent and I was considering trying Botox for it. Mayhem, could you please elaborate on your experiences?

I have neurogenic bladder (my bladder goes into uncontrollable spasms). I have little to no time at all to get to a bathroom. Sometimes I don't even know that I have wet myself.
I went to several urologists, neurologists, etc. they decided that Botox would be a good shit for me. So I had several injections (I think it was 30 or 40 shots) of Botox (100 in what ever measurements they use).
After the surgery I went home, still wetting myself because the Botox has not started to work yet (and I was peeing blood from the shots). About 2 days later it started to work and things were great for another day. Then the 4th day I could not empty my bladder all the way and still had spasms.
I could not tell that I was full and I ended up holding back 1,480 ml? and emoting about half of that involuntarily. Because my bladder was so full it was pushing in other organs and messing up the works. I had to have a Foley catheter inserted to drain everything.
With the bladder spasms still going on I still had to use a diaper because I’d pee around the catheter. The leg bag did not work well because it would fill and slide down my leg. Besides pulling out leg hair, it would pull on the catheter (that hurt like hell and causeeven worse spasms).
My urologist said that I could just drain directly into the diaper as long as I stay well hydrated and that there would be little risk of infection as long as I’m clean. It took about 9 months to wear off and I still catherterize myself with a Foley catheter. It seems to help with the spasms in the way that I don’t naturally fight to hold it. So that is my experience in a nut shell.

mayhem said:
I have neurogenic bladder (my bladder goes into uncontrollable spasms). I have little to no time at all to get to a bathroom. Sometimes I don't even know that I have wet myself.
I went to several urologists, neurologists, etc. they decided that Botox would be a good shit for me. So I had several injections (I think it was 30 or 40 shots) of Botox (100 in what ever measurements they use).
After the surgery I went home, still wetting myself because the Botox has not started to work yet (and I was peeing blood from the shots). About 2 days later it started to work and things were great for another day. Then the 4th day I could not empty my bladder all the way and still had spasms.
I could not tell that I was full and I ended up holding back 1,480 ml? and emoting about half of that involuntarily. Because my bladder was so full it was pushing in other organs and messing up the works. I had to have a Foley catheter inserted to drain everything.
With the bladder spasms still going on I still had to use a diaper because I’d pee around the catheter. The leg bag did not work well because it would fill and slide down my leg. Besides pulling out leg hair, it would pull on the catheter (that hurt like hell and causeeven worse spasms).
My urologist said that I could just drain directly into the diaper as long as I stay well hydrated and that there would be little risk of infection as long as I’m clean. It took about 9 months to wear off and I still catherterize myself with a Foley catheter. It seems to help with the spasms in the way that I don’t naturally fight to hold it. So that is my experience in a nut shell.

This kind of result Make you want to do it (sarcasm), seriously good luck :)

Last edited:
trysexiea said:
This kind of result makes you want, seriously good luck :)

I’m not sure what you mean by “want”.

mayhem said:
I’m not sure what you mean by “want”.

I was tired, I just wanted to say sarcastically that this is not a motivating result, unfortunately

But he did not find a surgery or something to correct the spasms?

I get Botox injections in my bladder 3-4 times a year. It's been wonderful for me.

I have interstitial cystitis (the "other" IC), which causes bladder pain, which in turn causes spasms. The bottom calms all that down, leaving me free of bladder pain that's otherwise constant.

I do have to self cath to empty my bladder fully. For a while after the Botox it's six times a day, then takes to once or twice a day. Self cathing is very easy and painless once you're used to it.

It usually takes nearly two weeks for the Botox to really take effect in my bladder. I'll start to feel some relief after about four days, and I improve slowly but steadily after that.

Opinions vary on Botox because it does have some significant side effects. For me, though, the side effects are with it for the opportunity to be free of constant bladder pain.

trysexiea said:
I was tired, I just wanted to say sarcastically that this is not a motivating result, unfortunately

But he did not find a surgery or something to correct the spasms?

No worries. I figured it was something of that nature. They haven’t found anything that stops the spasms. I’ve tried every med and hey all had terrible side effects or worked for a month and just stopped working. They can’t find the cause of the spasms either but know for sure that it’s definitly happening.

I'm a little late to the party, but have also had botox injections done twice. Back then I had sever urge incontinence, combined with a neurogenic sphincter blockage.

The first time I had it injected into my bladder wall lining. I too peed blood for a day or two, but that was no big deal. It calmed my urges by about 80%, but had the effect of also tightening up my sphincter. That made it nearly impossible for me to pee so I had to have a folley catheter in place till it wore off. That took about two months. I too had let my catheter drain into my diaper. I didn't tell my urologist that time, but did stay well hydrated and had no problems.

The second time I had the botox injected into my sphincter. It too took a day or two to take effect, with the same blood at first too. Also no big deal. The injections were supposed to make it easier for me to pee, but again made it much worse. So again I had to be catheterized till it wore off. That again lasted about two months.

It's worth noting, botox can only be done once every three months as it is a surgical procedure. It typically only lasts two months too, so even it it does work you will be left out for that third month every time. Your body will also adapt to the botox toxin too, so with each injection it becomes less and less effective. So even IF it does work, it's only good as a stop gap bandaid. Work or not though, keep looking for other treatement options.

Slomo said:
It's worth noting, botox can only be done once every three months as it is a surgical procedure. It typically only lasts two months too, so even it it does work you will be left out for that third month every time. Your body will also adapt to the botox toxin too, so with each injection it becomes less and less effective. So even IF it does work, it's only good as a stop gap bandaid. Work or not though, keep looking for other treatement options.

That has not been the case for me. My previous round of Botox (my sixth) lasted for fifteen months. Other rounds have consistently lasted three to four months. It depends on the individual patient, the specifics of the injections, and probably some other factors. As always, your mileage may vary.

Just figured I would update. My botox treatment has helped a little on frequency of going and surprisingly it did help a little bit with the leaking but it is sometimes hard to go know got an appointment with my urologist today for a follow-up

Slomo said:
I'm a little late to the party, but have also had botox injections done twice. Back then I had sever urge incontinence, combined with a neurogenic sphincter blockage.

The first time I had it injected into my bladder wall lining. I too peed blood for a day or two, but that was no big deal. It calmed my urges by about 80%, but had the effect of also tightening up my sphincter. That made it nearly impossible for me to pee so I had to have a folley catheter in place till it wore off. That took about two months. I too had let my catheter drain into my diaper. I didn't tell my urologist that time, but did stay well hydrated and had no problems.

The second time I had the botox injected into my sphincter. It too took a day or two to take effect, with the same blood at first too. Also no big deal. The injections were supposed to make it easier for me to pee, but again made it much worse. So again I had to be catheterized till it wore off. That again lasted about two months.

I'm sorry to hear you had such a negative experience with that treatment :(
For me it changed everything. I had botox injected only once into my urethral sphincters 12 years ago, because they had spasmic contractions and would close aggressively at the least urge. This was caused by a TURP (prostate resection) and one of the nerves got hit.
It took a week or 2 before the medicine worked properly, which is also what the doctor verified, but for me it worked about a year and a half (well, not really, botox only works for 6 months but the sphincter was affected long enough to adapt).

After that I also had done a plethora of sphincter relaxation phisiotherapy and I no longer have such severe case of spasms.
I don't think repeated botox would benefit much more though, and if it isn't working for you I'd definitly look into other areas.

It also depends on the skill of the surgeon, I had 8 urethrotomies and 2 of those included a TURP, of those only 1 had a very low scar tissue regrowth, (different hospital, different surgeon).
In my case having it injected into the bladder itself would be fatal, I already had severe atonic bladder after one of the surgeries and they removed the catheter, I could not void anymore and the next day had to rush off to ER for drainage :s

winterheart01 said:
I'm sorry to hear you had such a negative experience with that treatment :(
For me it changed everything. I had botox injected only once into my urethral sphincters 12 years ago, because they had spasmic contractions and would close aggressively at the least urge. This was caused by a TURP (prostate resection) and one of the nerves got hit.
It took a week or 2 before the medicine worked properly, which is also what the doctor verified, but for me it worked about a year and a half (well, not really, botox only works for 6 months but the sphincter was affected long enough to adapt).

After that I also had done a plethora of sphincter relaxation phisiotherapy and I no longer have such severe case of spasms.
I don't think repeated botox would benefit much more though, and if it isn't working for you I'd definitly look into other areas.

It also depends on the skill of the surgeon, I had 8 urethrotomies and 2 of those included a TURP, of those only 1 had a very low scar tissue regrowth, (different hospital, different surgeon).
In my case having it injected into the bladder itself would be fatal, I already had severe atonic bladder after one of the surgeries and they removed the catheter, I could not void anymore and the next day had to rush off to ER for drainage :s

Well it's go to hear it works for at least some people. If it was truly a failure on most everyone I can't imagine they would still be offering the botox at all.

Back