botox injections

Slomo said:
Well it's go to hear it works for at least some people. If it was truly a failure on most everyone I can't imagine they would still be offering the botox at all.
No doubt. But even if the success rate is 80%, that implies a failure rate of 20%. And if you are part of the latter group, your personal failure rate is 100%. As someone suggested in another post, the people you are likely to find on this forum are those who did not achieve success. So experiences posted here will be a bit skewed. But they are worth hearing for someone considering such treatment. With some treatments, failure may mean nothing changes. But with Botox (at least for OAB), it's possible you may end up retaining and require catheterization. So failure may mean the original problem is gone - except now have have a new problem.

DanielW said:
Botox is also usually not a permanent fix - people may need follow-up injections and each of those carries the same risk of failure.
true, my sphincter was happy for a long period, but after a while the effects worn out completely and it slowly reverted.
After that they did very minor incisions in secondary nerves in the urethral sphincter to allow it to relax better, to serve as a more permanent solution.
This continued to work for 8 years, and it still does, but i get the impression some nerve pathways have been redirected as some symptoms are reappearing.

DanielW said:
Botox is also usually not a permanent fix - people may need follow-up injections and each of those carries the same risk of failure.

People who respond to the first Botox treatment generally respond to subsequent ones as well. Those who don't respond to the first one rarely get additional ones.

Botox doesn't solve all my bladder control problems, but it sure helps cut down on the level of pain and reduces the number of accidents I have. I have to self cath, but that's nothing compared to spending all my time in severe pain from my interstitial cystitis.

Back