Fairy Tales and other Old Wives sayings.

Moonshot

Est. Contributor
Did your parents ever say things to you as children to get you not to do things?

When I was young I was fascinated by fire. I remember poking camp fires with a stick and stirring up the embers to get the sparks to fly. My mother would say to me "Little boys who play with fires wet their bed at night" as a way to stop me from playing with the fire.

I don't remember wetting the bed at night because I played with the fire. In fact I think I may have nervously made a point of trying to prove it wasn't a fact.

Well, tonight i am burning some old bills in the fireplace and wearing an ABU Space diapers just in case....I do still like sitting by a fire in the dark and looking into the embers. I just don't stir them up anymore...unless they need to be.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
My mom told me that if I didn't behave, I'd get coal in my Christmas stocking. I guess it actually happened to my grandmother. My mom had a lot of expressions like he who throws dirt only gets dirty.

I think a lot of 'old wives tales' originated in factual observations that later were twisted into beliefs about cause and effect. Not that one causes the other, but researchers are still debating the statistical link between bed wetting and pyromania.