90's console gaming

TB333

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
I just got the sega genasis collection for my switch, and yeah, its concentrated 90's gaming. Its an amazing mix of games that im kind of nostalgic for (I mostly had nintendo systems when I was a kid). So my question to all who care, Sega or Nintendo? 

Sega does what NintenDont!!!.....I like both but Sega is my favorite. I find I like playing games more on my Genesis than my Super Nintendo. Of course I'm probably a bit biased since I had a Sega as my first console when i was 5 or 6, that and looking at both companies histories Sega just seemed like a cooler company than Nintendo. Nintendo did have an awesome soundchip in their SNES though.

genesis were able to take more chances with their “bad boys of gaming” image. Games like Dune, General Chaos, Toejam & Earl, and Zero Tolerance were amazing games that either started a type of gaming or were just their own crazy thing.

Wasn't allowed a console, had an Amiga 1200... Cannon Fodder, Skidmarks, Lemmings, Syndicate, Sim City, Theme Park, K240, UFO: Enemy Unknown, Gravity Power, thems were the days!

In my early gaming days (late 90s and early 00s) I had a Nintendo 64, as well as a PlayStation one, I have had 1 or 2 Segas back in the day but I dont remember much about them other than the portable one having a Power Rangers Game (which I really liked) these days theres a few remaster I like but I am also very much into modern gaming (theres many good things modern gaming has that hasn't been thought of and wouldnt have been possible decades ago)

I got a Genesis for Christmas in '89, and then bought myself a Super Nintendo in '93--which I still have. In hindsight, there's a lot to appreciate about the Genesis/Megadrive and its library of games. When I got mine, though, it was hard for me to leave all of my favorite NES franchises behind, so I sort of knew I'd be coming back to Nintendo at some point.

These days, while I often think of myself as a fairly hardcore retro gamer, that hardcore-ness is expressed mainly in unusual ways, e.g. through hardware hacking of the old systems and contributing to emulator and chiptune software projects. It's like...being strung out on crack as a kid, and then growing up and finding amusement studying the molecular structure of crack. :)

Grew up with a Genesis. Never touched an NES or SNES but got some other Nintendo products down the line.

I also have some fond early-childhood memories of playing games like Crash Bandicoot and Spryo the Dragon on my half brother's PlayStation.

Cottontail said:
I got a Genesis for Christmas in '89, and then bought myself a Super Nintendo in '93--which I still have. In hindsight, there's a lot to appreciate about the Genesis/Megadrive and its library of games. When I got mine, though, it was hard for me to leave all of my favorite NES franchises behind, so I sort of knew I'd be coming back to Nintendo at some point.

These days, while I often think of myself as a fairly hardcore retro gamer, that hardcore-ness is expressed mainly in unusual ways, e.g. through hardware hacking of the old systems and contributing to emulator and chiptune software projects. It's like...being strung out on crack as a kid, and then growing up and finding amusement studying the molecular structure of crack. :)

I can totally relate to that last part. Everything i enjoyed as a kid i now enjoy as an adult but in a different way. I have always been fascinated by video games and electronics just playing with them but now i want to learn how they work and make them better like modifying an old TV to have RGB inputs so i can watch sonic bounce around uncontrollably in more vibrant sharp color!

The Sega MegaDrive was really popular over here. As soon as Sonic the Hedgehog came out, that was it for Nintendo.

What really annoyed me about Sonic is that, for the EU market, they ported the code without adjusting the sync rate from 60Hz NTSC to 50Hz PAL. So Sonic runs at 5/6ths of the proper speed in the EU. :-/

But Sega still wins :)

[video=youtube;RnvhjlR9kwg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnvhjlR9kwg[/video]

tiny said:
The Sega MegaDrive was really popular over here. As soon as Sonic the Hedgehog came out, that was it for Nintendo.

What really annoyed me about Sonic is that, for the EU market, they ported the code without adjusting the sync rate from 60Hz NTSC to 50Hz PAL. So Sonic runs at 5/6ths of the proper speed in the EU. :-/

But Sega still wins :)
Probably the code was full of 60Hz optimizations, making the change nontrivial. Well, it's forgivable. "Blast Processing" was obviously still in its infancy. :)

Last edited:
Growing up I had an N64 and a PlayStation. I did not have that many PS1 titles. All I had back then was Final Fantasy IX and Crash Bandicoot 2 & 3. I was way more in favor in Nintendo. I had Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Body Harvest, Gex, Banjo-Kazooie, Ocarina of Time, Star Fox 64, Pokemon Stadium, Star Wars; Rogue Squadron, Donkey Kong, and 40 other games.

In high school I dug out my cousin's SNES, she said I could have it & all the games included. There was Super Mario World, BattleShip, DK Country 1, 2, & 3, Street Fighter 2, Wordtris, and a few others I can't recall.

It was the beginning of this year that I bought another N64, and my PS3 still works. I play Final Fantasy VII, VIII, & IX, Siphon Filter, Mario Party, Banjo-Tooie, Mystical Ninja, Spyro The Dragon, Shadows Of The Empire, Doom, and a few others. I prefer retro games over modern games.

Back