What do you miss in society from years/decades past?

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
One thing I miss is local, in person, couch gaming parties, like if you wanted to play Mario Kart/Party/other multiplayer games you used to need people right there.

Since the advent of online gaming hardly anyone ever gets together with anybody except for maybe once or twice a year if there is a party going on or a family gathering; most online gaming is largely done with strangers that happened to get thrown in a match with/against you; and to me sometimes it makes for a better experience to know who you are playing and the inevitable trash talking and gloating.

In Super Mario Party for the Switch they only did a lame half-measure towards playing online - the mini games; like if they made it FULL GAME playable online, that would have been much better.

Not that you CANT still do these same gaming focused parties, it's just that usually if you ask people to come over for these events either they are too busy or just dont want to.

Another thing I had been missing until recently was how you didn't used to need huge amounts of memory on a gaming systems; but the PS4 and Xbone generation changed that with 50+ GB games where the full game downloads to your system, a lot of features require online connectivity, and they try to update the games in ways you don't even notice most of the time too often.

Like for my PS4 the 500GB got gobbled up and I needed more storage, so I got a 4TB hard drive and I'm set for a long time

Meanwhile I don't think I'm close to using the 32 GB on my Switch (Yet), but just in case I got a Switch compatible 128 GB memory card (and it was on sale for $20)

So what do you miss in society from years/decades past?

dogboy

Est. Contributor
This year I started to miss my vinyl records, so for an early self Christmas gift, I bought a new turntable and dug out some of my Christmas records. Listening to them has resurfaced a lot of memories, some from when I was first married, and some much earlier, junior high through college. Some of the memories have been painful, but I've felt better later, glad that I did this. I can't find my rock records though. I have no idea where they are in the house, though I suspect, somewhere in the basement....sigh.

I miss seeing the older cars. One had no trouble telling the make of a car whether it was a Chevy, a Ford or Chrysler product. Now, they all look alike and they're from all over the world, not just American made.

I miss the house I grew up in, and all my furniture and the things I collected as a child. I miss the first house my wife and I purchased. It was an old two story frame. When you climbed up the stairs to the second floor, you came to a landing and there was a door with a glass doorknob that gave you entrance to the hallway, two bedrooms and the one and only bathroom.

I miss the train sets that kids had out during the Christmas season. Almost every kid had a train set. That was the high technology of the 1950's. I miss the old, big incandescent town Christmas lights.

I'm very appreciative of modern technology. It gives us so many wonderful things. It also has allowed us to live longer as it's an important part of medical science. I wouldn't go back to the 50's or 60's, but it did have its charm in some places.

parcelboy2

Est. Contributor
When I was a kid in early 80's I lived in a village of about 300 people and the road I lived only had 16 houses and every one knew every one else all the kids played out side together our parents talked to each other ,
In the summer there would be a Fate on the village green which every one went to

Azie

Poofhoof Princess!
Est. Contributor
One thing I miss is local, in person, couch gaming parties, like if you wanted to play Mario Kart/Party/other multiplayer games you used to need people right there.

Since the advent of online gaming hardly anyone ever gets together with anybody except for maybe once or twice a year if there is a party going on or a family gathering; most online gaming is largely done with strangers that happened to get thrown in a match with/against you; and to me sometimes it makes for a better experience to know who you are playing and the inevitable trash talking and gloating.

In Super Mario Party for the Switch they only did a lame half-measure towards playing online - the mini games; like if they made it FULL GAME playable online, that would have been much better.

Not that you CANT still do these same gaming focused parties, it's just that usually if you ask people to come over for these events either they are too busy or just dont want to.

Another thing I had been missing until recently was how you didn't used to need huge amounts of memory on a gaming systems; but the PS4 and Xbone generation changed that with 50+ GB games where the full game downloads to your system, a lot of features require online connectivity, and they try to update the games in ways you don't even notice most of the time too often.

Like for my PS4 the 500GB got gobbled up and I needed more storage, so I got a 4TB hard drive and I'm set for a long time

Meanwhile I don't think I'm close to using the 32 GB on my Switch (Yet), but just in case I got a Switch compatible 128 GB memory card (and it was on sale for $20)

So what do you miss in society from years/decades past?
Omg, yes, something to can both passionately agree on! I miss gaming with people in person. I got some of that with a gaming convention I went to last summer with my Daddy and my friend, and it was great. Wish it could happen more. That, and more table top gaming/rpg stuff.

sallyanne

Est. Contributor
Civility.

Thicker skin. The ability of some people to be offended by almost everything is most annoying.

The ability to eat somewhere without loud music.

RubberJin

Est. Contributor
Facebook not being invented and the internet having a slightly higher entry barrier.

Also old computer games and having the damn time to play them!

However, I certainly don't miss the old days of much more racism, sexism, intolerance, and isolation - before forums like this existed you could spend your whole life as an ABDL (or whatever your kink / inclination) thinking you were the only one on the planet, so gotta look at the positives. Things are better than they've ever been, almost universally.

LittleManAlex

Est. Contributor
Probably that very brief window, where we started to see less race, gender, sexual orientation and more people as individuals... and then the train of thought seems to have been driven of a cliff and now we have to think certain things because of our Identity Groupings.

"The individual is the most oppressed minority"

Wooden school desks that could protect you from atomic bombs.

Women who knew their place. (at the top of the food chain)

Seeing sex as too dirty for public display, making it more exciting.

Friending others on the street.

Not having the word "Friending".

15 cent hamburgers, 5 cent pop, 5 cent ice cream, and other affordable, healthy food.

The bonding from nearly everyone having the same day of rest from the rat race.

parcelboy2

Est. Contributor
And a teacher who was a good shot with a chalk board rubber

15 cent hamburgers, 5 cent pop, 5 cent ice cream, and other affordable, healthy food.

\

tiny

Est. Contributor
They days of having a cloth nappy pinned on me for bed, along with the "rubber knickers" (plastic pants).

Being able to play in the street without all the cars getting in the way.

Windows XP. (Best Microsoft OS ever.)
Windows 95/98 on work PCs. (Most hackable OS ever.)

The time before Autotune.

Watching TV together as a family, as an after-dinner treat, knowing that tomorrow at school, half the kids would have watched the same programme because there were only 3 TV channels.

Illegal raves on industrial estates.

The breakdown of social class barriers as a result of raves; a time of more social harmony and upward mobility.

Hedgehog flavour crisps.

The analogue TV filters in hotels that you could bypass to get all the pay-per-view channels free.

Not seeing the same chains of shops on every High Street.

Being able to buy plastic-backed Abena M3 and M4 diapers... back when they were really good.
Being able to buy Kolibri Comslip diapers when they were plastic-backed and AMAZING.
Being able to buy ANY adult diaper, KNOWING that it would be plastic-backed, and THINKING that would never change.

Magic mushrooms being legal.

Chemistry sets that contained proper dangerous chemicals.

Children's TV programmes being slow-paced, educational, and surreally amateur.

When home computers were educational, and you could learn to code in ten minutes.

Knowing no one was cheating in a pub quiz.

Going out and there being no way for anyone to contact you or know where you are.

Political leadership.

littlemoosey

Est. Contributor

Personal responsibility

teachers actually teaching and not indoctrinating

newspapers where it was easy to tell where opinion and news were not blurred

making friends at a bar, because people would talk to each other and not be glued to their tablet or phone

NO PARTICIPATION TROPHIES

NO PC HR departments at work

the ability to talk to or hug someone without fear of a lawsuit

customer service

people that actually took pride in their trade

coaches that could actually "tell it like it is"

NO CELL PHONES!

All of the above and a million more things like them.

Orange

Est. Contributor
No social media, no typing with thumbs, not being constantly available for whoeverthefuck to get ahold of, people having social skills and talking in person.