Cerebral Palsy

lilshelly

Est. Contributor
I know this topic has been visited in the past and I have gone over some of the threads concerning it. I am wondering out of the older group what might happen as I get older. I know one of the obvious things for me is going to be use of a walker cane or wheelchair at some point. I am 39 and I still get around okay but I do notice a few things
1. I drag my feet or foot more than I used to.
2. I also don't always stand up straight but I was always bad about that when I was younger it is something that I had to think about.
3. I have been known to fall. I try to minimize the risks of that but it still happens every once in a while.

My current position that I work, my supervisors would rather I sit at the desk and wait for others to get the orders in which I am needing. I on the other hand like to hit the floor and walk as much as I can. I generally walk around three miles a day. While I still take a chance on falling and I tend to go through a pair of shoes every six months or so I am afraid that if I don't keep walking I will lose the ability to hence the reason that I try and walk as much as I do. I wear diapers for the simple fact that I may not be able to make it to the bathroom in time when I do have to go and James my fiancee knows that when I get in a hurry to get somewhere because I drag my feet I am at grater risk of falling. He suggested the diapers as a preventative way to take care of that. If I make it to the bathroom good if I don't then well that is why the diaper. Right now the only time I really wear is when I am out of the house. I figure that I can make it to the bathroom when I am at home.
Sorry for the long post. I was wondering what I might have to look forward to with the CP. When I was born they pretty much told my mom not to expect much but aside from the way I walk I do everything like everyone else. The only thing that has really changed in the last few years is I have to sit from time to time. Not all the time but from time to time for a short period of time. These days I find it bothers me more to stay still than it does to keep myself moving.
Thanks Shelly

caitianx

Est. Contributor
I know this topic has been visited in the past and I have gone over some of the threads concerning it. I am wondering out of the older group what might happen as I get older. I know one of the obvious things for me is going to be use of a walker cane or wheelchair at some point. I am 39 and I still get around okay but I do notice a few things
1. I drag my feet or foot more than I used to.
2. I also don't always stand up straight but I was always bad about that when I was younger it is something that I had to think about.
3. I have been known to fall. I try to minimize the risks of that but it still happens every once in a while.

My current position that I work, my supervisors would rather I sit at the desk and wait for others to get the orders in which I am needing. I on the other hand like to hit the floor and walk as much as I can. I generally walk around three miles a day. While I still take a chance on falling and I tend to go through a pair of shoes every six months or so I am afraid that if I don't keep walking I will lose the ability to hence the reason that I try and walk as much as I do. I wear diapers for the simple fact that I may not be able to make it to the bathroom in time when I do have to go and James my fiancee knows that when I get in a hurry to get somewhere because I drag my feet I am at grater risk of falling. He suggested the diapers as a preventative way to take care of that. If I make it to the bathroom good if I don't then well that is why the diaper. Right now the only time I really wear is when I am out of the house. I figure that I can make it to the bathroom when I am at home.
Sorry for the long post. I was wondering what I might have to look forward to with the CP. When I was born they pretty much told my mom not to expect much but aside from the way I walk I do everything like everyone else. The only thing that has really changed in the last few years is I have to sit from time to time. Not all the time but from time to time for a short period of time. These days I find it bothers me more to stay still than it does to keep myself moving.
Thanks Shelly
With My Mild CP, which only affects my legs, as I got into my 30's, I lost my most advanced motor skill of being able to ride a bicycle without training wheels.
In my 40's, I just got slower and got tired easier.
By the time I got to age 50, it got a lot harder to walk for any long distance.
That is when I transitioned to using Loftstrand Crutches for my long distance mobility needs.
I never get to the toilet in time to stay dry and clean.
Therefore I am in diapers 24/7.
At 60, I am scared of falling, especially in the Winter.
I do admit to some depression, related to my ageing body, and my having lost my ability to drive, even using adaptive hand-controls.
Despite being able to see okay out of both eyes, I have double vision, and I am a danger to myself and everybody else on the road.
Sigh...
A major loss of personal freedom.
I am so dependent upon others to get me out into the community.
My toilet here at home has safety rails and a raised toilet seat to make it easier for me to lower myself onto the toilet for diaper changes and to use my arm strength to aid me in pushing myself up to stand.
I am also becoming quite dependent upon my couple of "Reacher Tools" to pick things up off the floors to not "bend over" and lose my balance.
The last 8 years, I have also required partial-length side safety rails on my bed to prevent falls.
I am trying to stay out of a wheelchair myself.