Did I do the right thing?

Fireband

Est. Contributor
I am so angry right now I can't even see straight!

I was out for a drink two hours ago, when I saw and old friend. Normally, I would say that is impossible because that friend died two years ago (or so I thought). It turns out the rat [email protected] faked his death to get himself out of debt so he could live the good life.

Thanks to him faking said death, his fiance (my childhood friend has been in a mental hospital for two years, after trying to take her life. I thought I missed this ass. He was such a good guy as a kid. There's a special place in hell for him.

He comes up to me, with a pretty crappy disguise (new hair color, some ink, etc.), and asks me how I've been for the past too years. He's been hitchhiking all over with about 7 fake IDs and wanted to see his "hometown" one last time before he skips the country. I was furious, but kept my cool and did what I felt was right.

I bought him a few drinks to keep him busy, and while he was drinking I called the police. Several squad cars pull up to the bar and arrest him. Turns out faking his own death wasn't the only crime he'd done.

He's facing dozens of charges, and I did end up getting some closure knowing he's looking at 10-20 at least if convicted. I hate him for what he did to his family, his fiance, his friends. He tore apart so many people's lives, but he was the first friend I ever made in my hometown. I'm torn on whether I made the right choice, or did I let my hate consume me.

I know I had to follow the law, but the reason I turned him in was hate. But, does that make what I did right?

Any thoughts would be appreciated, I've talked to everyone else IRL and they've been no help. You guys are the only people I trust.

Thank you for your time...

Fireband (the one and only)

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
I would say yes you did the right thing, though not for the best of reasons, I mean hate can be a pretty bad thing; but I think this guy deserves all your hate and more for "tearing apart peoples lives" as you put it and faking his death to try and live "the good life".

Leio

Est. Contributor
You did the right thing. Full stop. End of story. Your motivations may not be spotless, but it boils down to the guy deserved the end result. I guess in a way, you're now an antihero?

parcelboy2

Est. Contributor
You've done the right things , as he inadvertently put the life of some one you loved as severe risk

also isn't faking one's death for financial gain a Federal offence ? In the Uk it is as its classed as Fraud

Scotland

Contributor
Freebird you most certainly the right thing he is just getting his Due Deserts!! Here is the UK he would face numerous Criminal Changes + Prison Time (Personally even a BAD Infection!!) Just my opinion [emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

littlemoosey

Est. Contributor
No doubt, it was the right thing. Change the question, had you let him slide because you still really liked him and he was still your friend, would that have been the "RIGHT" thing.

The "right" thing is not situational, it is either right or wrong.

You did the "RIGHT" thing, it took allot of courage, congratulations.

Bass

Est. Contributor
Rest easy, friend. Either you would’ve done it, or karma would’ve caught up in another way. Sounds like a selfish, stupid asshole. How he cheated the system that long is beyond me, but returning home? He was asking for it. There should be no question at all for you. You just helped Karma catch up to him.

WoodlandWanderer

Est. Contributor
In this case, the guy has caused serious harm to another of your friends and left without caring. At that point I don't think he's your friend anymore and you shouldn't feel bad about reporting him. Personally, I'd congratulate you on having the guts to do it. Whether the motivation (anger / revenge) was entirely noble or not, it was the right thing to do.

The issue is really a moral question over whether it's right to inform on someone that you know has done something wrong. Everyone has their own line determining where they're going to get involved or walk away, and when it's a friend that's a much harder choice to make.

diapernh

Est. Contributor
Yeah you did the right thing. Think about it... had you not done this you would be carrying around the guilt of knowing that he wasn't dead, possibly getting yourself implicated in his scam too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TB333

Est. Contributor
You did the right thing
Also, have you talked to anyone about movie rights? Id watch thats

Safariwolf

Est. Contributor
I believe you did the right thing like you said faking his own death wasn't the only thing he did wrong and if the police weren't called something else could of happened in the future of he is capable of succeeding in faking his own death think of what else he would be capable of it took a lot of courage to do what you did and for that I congratulate you maybe in the past he was a friend but as of now the person you knew is dead what left is someone totally different just keep the good memories and don't beat yourself up because of what happened

Entity

Est. Contributor
Here's one of my two cents: I believe you did the right thing. This person you speak of committed crimes out of self interest; crimes that have done nothing other than to harm the livelihoods of those around him. This man is deservant of his conviction.

But that's not the answer you're looking for isn't it? This is where philosophy can help. Cue the second of two cents:

You are having an existential crisis here. First and foremost I am very happy that you sought to express your turmoil unto us; it will help to heal your emotional wounds. Second, I am NOT trained in the least bit in the field of psychology. Just because my college transcript says I took the class doesn't mean my advice is in any way valid. I plead unto you: Should this significantly affect your daily life, SEEK PROFESSIONAL HELP!!!

Let us touch upon what you had thought when you executed your plan to facilitate this persons arrest. You made the call out of a range of emotions including but not limited to: rage, fury, anger, and spite. Since these emotions are generally regarded as self deprecating and overall non-constructive, it's easy to see that you did indeed make a poor judgment call, utterly contrasting an otherwise logically sound decision. In short; you are wrong.

But, we are human; and dissonant thoughts will always permeate our minds. And to counter our wrath we turn to others for support; so you have come here for aid in helping to heal a wound upon your psyche that would otherwise fester if left unattended. Don't lose sight of your goals just because some guy got the best of you for a long time; and don't back-pedal just because you feel like a terrible person (it takes one to know one; and I am one). Go talk to your friends, keep talking to us, confide with your family, and most of all, keep your chin up. Even though I totally accused you for a thought crime; I do not mean to hold it against you. Too few nasty people get beat at their own game, and you just made the world a better place in showing that it can be done.

To sum this post up:

What you did was right.
Why you did it was wrong.
But we are here for you. Don't give up.

TonkaToy

Est. Contributor
After many years of watching talkshows and also receiving my psychology degree in a box of cracker jacks I believe I’m highly qualified to answer this question. What you did was absolutely right irregardless of the motivation. Your anger was completely justified because his actions harmed others. I’m sure most would agree one would be terribly angry at a drunk driver and turn them in. The same goes for a corrupt cop, a child molester, a woman beater etc etc. He was committing a crime and he caused harm to others in the process. Both your anger and your actions were the correct human response. Good job!

RubberJin

Est. Contributor
What he did was incredibly shitty to his friends & family, not to mention fraudulent, and you don't say what OTHER crimes he'd committed but potentially you have helped take a really bad person off the streets, so you should feel 100% justified in your actions.