Body Image and IC

Leio

Est. Contributor
So...

People here probably know that I've been having issues with IC, and I wear diapers 24/7 due to it.

In my journey to come to terms with it, the latest hurdle that I've been facing is feelings less attractive because of the fact that I wear diapers. This is especially true as I have a romantic partner. I logically know that diapers are just another form of underwear and all that... It's an unusual feeling for me as I do enjoy my diapers and I am part of the ABDL community.

It's illogical that I think that diapers would look cute or attractive on someone else, but I can't see myself as attractive in them.

It doesn't help that in the past, I've had body image issues. When I was a young teenager, I struggled with an eating disorder... more specifically anorexia. I've been in recovery from my eating disorder for many years now, but the vestiges of the eating disorder, in the form of a negative body image, has persisted. My body image has gotten better with the help of therapy, but this has challenged my progress.

My question is: How have you come to terms with your incontinence in the realm of body image and romantic relationships?

Thank you for your time

Ehorton

Est. Contributor
It’s not easy and hard to accept the fact Diapers are truly just another form of underwear. Perhaps a little bigger and much cuter in my opinion. I’ve had a couple of conversations with my wife about how I feel like less of a man in diapers. I use to hide and apologize when ever she would see me in a diaper. Heck I wouldn’t even carry a dry one in front of her. She kept telling me it’s fine. I don’t care and they don’t change my opinion of you. She still loves me for me regardless of where I go the bathroom or what I’m wearing. Your partner will look right pst the diapers and see you for you if they truly care for you!! I’m sure you look amazing and don’t ever shame yourself because your incontinent and have to wear special underwear (diapers). Hope that helps!! Happy Holidays

Spaz

Est. Contributor
My question is: How have you come to terms with your incontinence in the realm of body image and romantic relationships?
It's a good question. I have a love/hate thing going with my body. Sometimes I think I look great, other times I think I look ugly. It's the same thing with diapers. Sometimes I love them and other times not so much. Even if you have a time when you think you look good in your diapers, it doesn't mean your partner will. I think this is the big fear. Feedback from your partner will go a long way to helping you get past this. But, you should probably start by looking at yourself in the mirror and liking what your see.

The biggest problem in my experience with my wife is the loss of intimacy because diapers aren't her thing. Period. I put a diaper on and she thinks it says, "he's going to bed or not interested in me" when that's not necessarily the case. It's just that I wear diapers! Jeez, it's not that big of a deal...well okay, yeah it is to some people. It will help to have a partner who doesn't see it as a big deal or is even thrilled to see you wearing your diapers. I'm jealous of those who have the latter.

rennecfox

Est. Contributor
attractiveness is subjective, whats important is being able to come to terms with self-acceptance. You have to wear diapers, doesn't mean you cant find some you like appearance wise, or something to wear over them if it helps you feel better about yourself.

Elenwen

Est. Contributor
Now, that's a hard one... I can't say I myself have any particular problems with body image, but you know... I've been approached by several guys and they kind of drifted away over a short period of time, after learning of my IC... I'm not entirely sure what was the exact reason, though. I never asked. But I guess that's the reason (apart from the fact, that I also find others in diapers kind of cute) I want to find an ABDL boyfriend, who'll like this side of me.

As for your case, I think you should share your worries with your partner. Tell him how you feel, what you think about it all. Ask him what he thinks. If he understands your problem and tries to help you overcome it, that's great! If not... Well, I know it can be hard, but maybe he just isn't the one you need...
That's just about all I can suggest...

Slomo

Est. Contributor
I'm the odd one out here then. I've always seen myself, and my body image, as being diaper dependent. It's just a part of who I am. Every reltionship I've had has also been made with this in mind too. And my diapers has not had any negative impact on my 16 year marriage either, more like the opposite.

mickdl

Est. Contributor
I now you can say thinks like "real beauty comes from the inside" or other consoling words but to be honest - since my IC started I had a lot of problems with my body image. For me it's a complete different think to find that others looking cute in a diaper or to _have_ to wear them by myself. I makes me feel somehow disabled and decrease my self-confidence. I'm not sure how it would be if I am a women - but I guess - even a forum like this wouldn't give my the right confirmation despite the fact that there are several hundreds of man who most likely turned on by the fact that I'm IC.
It's because I would be loved for who I am and not for my disability - and unfortunately this disability is not really accepted in a world a perfect functioning body's. And this often makes me really sad.

Luckily my wife understand me and in the 24 years of relationship we went thru a lot hights and lows. Probably it's a bigger problem for me but for her - how ever I still have problems to accept that I _need_ diapers now when we went out.

Last edited:

daylight

Est. Contributor
I can speculate that it is easier if a relationship is already established prior to issues with incontinence (or any) than starting with. In my case, was well into married with children when I won the incontinence lottery so, well past the dating show.

Leio, my heartfelt support to you. You speak (write) well and that reflects on your intelligence and kindness. Recognize your strengths, and happiness in who you are.

sallyanne

Est. Contributor
Body image issues afflict a lot of people and diapers only make it worse. if you are no ABDL then a diaper is simply a medical device that no matter how hard they try... are not sexy or attractive and infact, downright ugly. So body-image issues are forefront. If you are ABDL, you dont find diapers unattractive per se, but many of us find that WE look unattractive in them. Most of use dont have great fit and trim bodies with good looks. We are not Thor in a diaper. So finding that we dont feel or look attractive in a diaper is common even if we love wearing them. And then you have someone like me who is a sissy baby girl but also a 50 something adult man. When dressed in baby attire I avoid mirrors because my internal image is a 12mo baby girl and my external image could never match that even with a Chris Hemsworth body.

Body image dysphoria is impossible to ignore in diaper wearers and worse for ABDLs. Thats why we simply must address our personal self-image and acceptance so that the unavoidable body-image discrepancies become annoying rather than destructive.

Yeah I know... easier said than done, but the hardest job starts with 'saying it'.

caitianx

Est. Contributor
I admit to feeling ugly, and dirty wearing diapers 24/7.
but, it is a necessary "medical garment" I require to not have urine-soaked bedsheets and clothing.
I just deal with it.

sallyanne

Est. Contributor
I admit to feeling ugly, and dirty wearing diapers 24/7.
but, it is a necessary "medical garment" I require to not have urine-soaked bedsheets and clothing.
I just deal with it.
Are you ABDL? Coz if so, that usually makes it a lot easier to wear diapers.

NotTheAverageMan

Est. Contributor
I can speculate that it is easier if a relationship is already established prior to issues with incontinence (or any) than starting with. In my case, was well into married with children when I won the incontinence lottery so, well past the dating show.

Leio, my heartfelt support to you. You speak (write) well and that reflects on your intelligence and kindness. Recognize your strengths, and happiness in who you are.
Just as was my situation as well.
I could not imagine being on the dating market as IC.

dwayne

Est. Contributor
not in the dating thing myself being double ic and in a wheelchair and needing so much help i have a hard time asking for help with the aides that come to help me let alone asking a girl friend for the same help i just could not do it

TB333

Est. Contributor
I feel everyone should be ok with there own bodys inside and out. Honstly screw what other people think, even thought humans act like a hivemind somtimes. Theres always people out there who care and some who are going through simular things. Thats how ive always thought anyway.

mkinko

Est. Contributor
@Leio
I wish you the best in finding peace with your body. I‘m a 50+ years old man, so I guess (for me) the wish sounds easier to come true than it actually is (I have a daughter who is 26 years old...). Just one thing: The diapers you wear are not a part of your body, and you‘re romantic partner loves you just the way you are!

Personally, I try to make my IC in daily life as little of an issue as possible. My wife seldom sees me wearing diapers, and, whenever possible, I enjoy our romantic and intimate moments just naked. Knowing the patterns of my IC this is a question of organization.

Apart from that, I‘m not worried abiut my body image, but then again, this might be a question of age and gender.

mkinko

Est. Contributor
My body image did not change because of my IC. However I think that diapers have an impact on romance in a relationship. Therefore I‘m quite discreet about me wearing them also at home. Of course my wife knows about my IC and everything, still she does not have to see me walking around in diapers. When we share intimate moments I usually take them off; I know my bladder well enough and can „take the risk“ to spend some time without protection.

Leio, I hope you‘ll find peace with your body. I‘m sure your partner loves you just the way you are.

Dinotopian2002

Est. Contributor
I’ve struggled with wearing diapers 24/7 for medical needs for 11 years, and it can be really hard. The trick is to not let it bring your self-esteem down. After writing myself off in terms of dating for 3 years, I’ve turned a corner. Incontinence is like any disability - the physical aspects can be dealt with easily enough but adjusting to it is hard.

Breathe Deep, Seek Peace
Dinotopian2002

jasonm03

Est. Contributor
I liked reading everybody’s post and would like to say I try not to let it bother me that I need diapers I too think people can see my diaper under my clothes and that they are judging me.

HeronimusM

Est. Contributor
So...

People here probably know that I've been having issues with IC, and I wear diapers 24/7 due to it.

In my journey to come to terms with it, the latest hurdle that I've been facing is feelings less attractive because of the fact that I wear diapers. This is especially true as I have a romantic partner. I logically know that diapers are just another form of underwear and all that... It's an unusual feeling for me as I do enjoy my diapers and I am part of the ABDL community.

It's illogical that I think that diapers would look cute or attractive on someone else, but I can't see myself as attractive in them.

It doesn't help that in the past, I've had body image issues. When I was a young teenager, I struggled with an eating disorder... more specifically anorexia. I've been in recovery from my eating disorder for many years now, but the vestiges of the eating disorder, in the form of a negative body image, has persisted. My body image has gotten better with the help of therapy, but this has challenged my progress.

Thank you for your time
Hi Leio,

what a coincedence, having the same feeling,

i'm kinda struggling with the same stuff...

my body image is not present at all, and i do hate my body,
i'm almost 4 decades Ur incontinent, and realizing that i'm "Def" incontinent for the last 2.5 years in a progressive state...

for me in a romantic situation with the best partner i can think of, being urinary incontinent is one thing, but coping with BM incontinence is a real struggle...
just the idea to mess uncontrollable in the middle of a nice evening and being affectional toward my partner, is just killing all romance...
feeling really bad and just give my absolute hate towards my body an enormous boost.. Killing my selfconfidence, trust in my own body and just feeling awfull, and feeling not attractive and guilty towards my partner.

because i'm also a transwoman, i'm trying to be as feminine as possible and having a lot of tricks to look as attractive as possible.
like instead of getting some granny underwear to "cover up" my diaper and pvc pants, trying to get some underwear with lace or something as feminine als possible..

so back to your question,
i have to come in terms with my incontinence, as in arranging diaperchanges into my daily routine, being prepared with supplies when going out, and just living the best way i can,

my body image and romantic relationship, is suffering quite a bit, but my partner is the best i can have...
it's a very hard job to feel good and feeling attractive and romantic, good thing is my partner is the most loving i can imagene