Taco Bell Employee refused service to customer not ordering in Spanish

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
http://amp.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/hialeah/article218395910.html

So this Taco Bell employee (now fired) apparently didn't speak any English (or so the news stories say about her), and she would take customers orders in Spanish, that much I am fine with (Taco Bell is far from true Authentic Mexican Food, but it has the title of "Best Mexican Restaurant in The United States" in a survey because of how many locations there are).

https://theharrispoll.com/taco-bell-is-americas-favorite-mexican-restaurant/

There is a full "best of list" of different categories somewhere online (I forgot the link)

But this was taken a step further and while the customer was out late ordering Taco Bell, the employee taking her order refused to do so in English and even said there was NOBODY else there at the time and the customer HAD TO ORDER IN SPANISH or get no service.

I'm fine with keeping your language and culture alive, but the majority of people at a chain restaurant IN THE UNITED STATES are going to speak English; and you cant require otherwise; if they are fluent in that language and want to speak it to order, it should be easy for an employee to fulfill that role.

But to require that is just unfair and unjustified, it is like if you go to any restaurant with a certain country of food as its specialty, be in Mexican, Italian, Indian, etc; how many of you could easily make an order in that language at any time? I could learn a language and order in that language at a restaurant like that; but in a diverse country like The United States you cant require such a thing to happen.

CrinklyConnor

Est. Contributor
Well, until people stop harassing and assaulting people for speaking their own language to their own family members and friends, I have no sympathy.

I’m sure there’s more to this story that wasn’t being told or reported on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PCPilot

Est. Contributor
I don't see what the problem is. The employee was unreasonable, got fired, problem solved. How is that different from an employee just being lazy and inattentive and no taking people's orders?

CrinklyConnor

Est. Contributor
I don't see what the problem is. The employee was unreasonable, got fired, problem solved. How is that different from an employee just being lazy and inattentive and no taking people's orders?
^^

Exactly. Not sure why this is a big deal considering he was dealt with internally.

CuddleWoozle

Est. Contributor
That's what I'm thinking about....I wonder what else was going on?

Even so, she's been fired. Doesn't matter much now, does it? (And Taco Bell does terrible things to my belly. :lol: )

Sapphyre

Est. Contributor
That's what I'm thinking about....I wonder what else was going on?

Even so, she's been fired. Doesn't matter much now, does it? (And Taco Bell does terrible things to my belly. :lol: )
Likewise. If I'm strict about it, Taco Bell doesn't even qualify as "food" for me, it has a negative caloric value. My body burns more energy expelling it than it absorbs in return. There isn't a net gain in nutrients upon consumption, so it's not food. o.o

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
I'm not saying the Employee getting fired is a big deal, I'm saying it is a Big Deal somebody would ask such a thing of a customer at a restaurant like that, and of course Taco Bell was right in Firing Her.

I believe one can keep their language and culture alive, but if you are Living in The United States, you should be good with English too, and not try forcing people to speak your language.

It's like would you expect to HAVE to speak Italian at an Italian Restaurant? How about to speak Indian at an Indian Restaurant?

Point is nobody is saying someone has to forget about their language and culture, you can keep that alive while also speaking English, and that should especially be a requirement working at a place like a Restaurant where you have to take peoples orders in a more commonly spoken language.

CrinklyConnor

Est. Contributor
I think this thread is a useless thread as a topic, because it’s meant to incite negative conversation rather than to provide actual discussion.

This happened. So what?

It happens everywhere, for any language, race, sexual orientation, and whatever else.

Don’t like it? Take your business elsewhere, just like gay people have to take our business to other cake bakeries.

Stop whining about it.

IMO, this thread should be closed because no civil discussion can be made on this. Only discourse.

Unless you prefer to hear an echo chamber.

ORBaby

Est. Contributor
Why is this even getting a news story? There was bad service at a Taco Bell, employee was fired. They should have only hired someone who is bi-lingual.

This customer was being argumentative, over 3 minutes were recorded, how was the customer acting before starting the recording? My guess is she was being even worse before recording. She called the store manager the next day and complained, that should have been the end of it. This is just more of the victim mentality. The poor dear, she was not able to get some Taco Bell at 10:30pm. Taco Bell offered her a $100 gift card. She told the news station "A gift card is not gonna just solve the problem, it's not gonna give me justice" What kind of justice does this woman want?

AnalogRTO

Est. Contributor
The basic outrage that the customer has is overblown. Seriously, this is Taco Bell. The employee in question is fired, and they're giving you $100 gift card because you couldn't get a bean burrito at 10:30 at night. What justice do these people want? They're probably discussing a lawsuit because they couldn't get food at that time, and some lawyer may be willing to take the case.

I filed a small claims court against my utility because when I went online and hit the "EDIT PAYMENT" button to change my monthly payment, it added a new payment and overdrew my account, making me late on several other things that cost me money, and it took close to a dozen hours of my personal time to get it resolved (ever have to explain basic accounting to their accounting rep on the phone?). I was pissed at them, because they were adamant that I should have known the button marked 'EDIT PAYMENT' would simply add a new payment on top of what I had scheduled and refused to take responsibility, then when I asked for a refund of overpayment, they screwed up my account balance. I sued them for all of my late charges, plus $100 per hour for my time. I thought that to be fair.

Now, I can't get a taco because I don't speak the right language at the local Taco Bell, and how much of my time and money does it cost me? Or do you want to claim emotional pain and suffering?

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
I had no clue the customer was offer $100 gift card and they are trying to sue Taco Bell, that is ridiculous considering Taco Bell did what they should have done and went beyond that by offering $100 gift card.

I mean yeah it might have made me angry if I was in that situation and I might get a bit mad, but once the problem employee is fired, and especially if I got $100 gift card after that I would have been very happy.

Sapphyre

Est. Contributor
I think this thread is a useless thread as a topic, because it’s meant to incite negative conversation rather than to provide actual discussion.

This happened. So what?

It happens everywhere, for any language, race, sexual orientation, and whatever else.

Don’t like it? Take your business elsewhere, just like gay people have to take our business to other cake bakeries.

Stop whining about it.

IMO, this thread should be closed because no civil discussion can be made on this. Only discourse.

Unless you prefer to hear an echo chamber.

We certainly have bigger fish to fry here in the U.S. If I'd been a customer I'd likely have found it funny.

AnalogRTO

Est. Contributor
I had no clue the customer was offer $100 gift card and they are trying to sue Taco Bell, that is ridiculous considering Taco Bell did what they should have done and went beyond that by offering $100 gift card.

I mean yeah it might have made me angry if I was in that situation and I might get a bit mad, but once the problem employee is fired, and especially if I got $100 gift card after that I would have been very happy.
I do not know that they are trying to sue--given the attitude most have in this country and the comments made about getting "justice", I see it as a very real likelihood. The employee being fired and the customer offered the $100 gift card are both mentioned in the article, however.

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
I do not know that they are trying to sue--given the attitude most have in this country and the comments made about getting "justice", I see it as a very real likelihood. The employee being fired and the customer offered the $100 gift card are both mentioned in the article, however.
I guess that depends on what one feels "justice", however I dont think the Customer has some high Moral Compass.

The situation must have sucked for the customer at the time of the incident, but it's not such a big deal that it belongs going to court.

dogboy

Distinguished Contributor
Distinguished Contributor
It looks like to me if one is going to be regular customer at Taco Bell, they'll have to learn how to say Fuck You in Spanish. That would have been my response had I been denied services. Wouldn't it have been fun to own one of those monstrous trucks that they load ore or coal into, and run it through the Taco Bell store. I see a movie script here somewhere.

CrinklyConnor

Est. Contributor
It looks like to me if one is going to be regular customer at Taco Bell, they'll have to learn how to say Fuck You in Spanish. That would have been my response had I been denied services. Wouldn't it have been fun to own one of those monstrous trucks that they load ore or coal into, and run it through the Taco Bell store. I see a movie script here somewhere.
“Mierda tú”

Calico

Est. Contributor
Okay, when my mom and I went to Mexico or France, we ordered our food by pointing to the menu. Surprisingly many people in Mexico also speak English but I think it depends where you are. if you are in a city that is full of tourists, places there might require their employers to speak English and Spanish. The lady should have gone inside to order. Also why was the employee hired in the first place if she only spoke Spanish? English is the main language in our country. I have seen places in my area requiring bilingual language upon hiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.