EMDR Therapy

KimbaWolfNagihiko

Est. Contributor
After spending nearly two years in therapy, there's a chance I might finally be getting somewhere.

My therapist asked me what I needed her help with, and I told her, it's all the pain I feel. The multiple emotional traumas I've suffered that have left me with wounds that never heal, and a need to find stability, comfort, and control through regression. Basically the same stuff I've been telling her all along, but now she's proposed trying EMDR on me: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_movement_desensitization_and_reprocessing. I figure I've got nothing to lose, except the pain...

I said to her though, will fixing the pain make the regression go away? Because I do enjoy it, despite the reasons behind it. She's of the mind that maybe we can make the need go away, but leave the want.

I know there are people into AB/DL who are much more emotionally healthy than I am, and whose inclinations don't have a history of trauma behind them. It's just more of a foreign concept to me, when a lot of my regressive tendencies stem from pain.

Anybody done EMDR? Successes? Failures? Thoughts?

HeronimusM

Est. Contributor
Hi Kimba,

i've had EMDR, i've had a succes but also the knowledge that some stuff can't be "repaired"
be prepared to have things go very deep, and know things resurface, and painfull... this is all in the recovery and final "placement"

i've had some great succes, and it can really help to "turn pages" of a endless chapter, and be able to kinda "move on"
the end result can take a while, but sure feels great.

Feel free to PM me for more private info...

Best of luck !

RamblinMan

Est. Contributor
Hi Kimba, I too have had EMDR, though I do not feel I could actually tell if it worked or not, I found it confusing, and in the end felt it was a waste of my time but I hope that your experience is different. Take Care

Sapphyre

Est. Contributor
My therapist is trying this with me. Maybe we can compare notes? ^.^ Thus far, it has helped me to process some of my past traumas, and "connect the dots" as to specifically why they impacted me in the ways that they did. Rather than simply saying that I feel unable to engage in the world, disconnected, I can actually explain why my experiences would leave me with such a feeling.

RubberJin

Est. Contributor
Well, I've helped make an EMDR device for a friend as they're ridiculously expensive for what is basically a string of WS2812 LED's in a stick and a very basic microcontroller.

If you ever need to buy one, save your money, buy an LED string and a Raspberry Pi and do a little code ;)

Isle

Est. Contributor
Surprised to see EMDR now comes with equipment. I had this work done years ago and no equipment required.
I could not tell if it was effective or not as I was doing other work at the time. Overall though I came out of my dark nights feeling healed.

Keep up your efforts to get well. You will get better if you put in the effort and get help, as you are.

KimbaWolfNagihiko

Est. Contributor
I have yet to start EMDR, we got kind of off-topic for a couple appointments but I'm hoping to begin soon. She has me practicing meditation as a coping skill.