Not open for further replies.

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Which do you like more?

Why?

What are your favorite Animes?

I have to say theres a lot of different Animes I have watch from the 90s (growing up), to recent years.

I'm sort of mixed, unable to really say I strongly prefer Older or Newer Anime and enjoying both; but of course older stuff always hold a special place in my heart and memories.

I would say my 2 favorites growing up were FullMetal Alchemist/Brotherhood (I feel like Brotherhood is better, but the original was pretty good too), and Inuyasha/The Final Act; but I also enjoyed Yu-Yu Hakusho (although when i was re-watching it there was a lot I didn't remember after The Dark Tournament).

And of course I still like Dragon Ball, Z, Super, and I even liked GT (even if its irrelevant to the rest of the series there were some good parts to it).

I also loved most of Bleach, Naruto/Shippuden/Boruto, and One Piece, all of these and Dragon Ball/onward kind of span the space between older stuff and newer stuff, having some version/seasons on for a long time.

I've watched countless other Animes, but the ones I listed have lasted a long time (compared to some Anike with only 1 or 2 dozen episodes) and will always hold a special place in my heart.

More recently I have watched My Hero Academia, Black Clover. Overlord, How Not To Summon a Demon Lord, High School DXD and me and my brother were watching Miss Kobayashis Dragon Maid last night.

Of these I like the 1st 2 the most.

One of my all time fave series is Kimagure Orange Road, from the 80’s. I also love Kino’s Journey, Haibane Renmei, and Paranoia Agent, all from the 80’s/90’s

I liked Paranoia Agent as well, very interesting (also dark), also Desert Punk and Trigun and Trinity Blood I all enjoyed as well.

I think theres something to be learned from how well done these older Animes were for their time (very good art style, plot/story, interesting characters, etc; which some newer Animes simply fail at)

Honestly, I'm in the older anime camp. After analyzing and doing a deep dive on older anime shows and movies, I find them to be just much more diverse and nuanced when compared to their modern day counterparts. Old anime had many different styles, individual senses of charm and iconic characters that have stood the test of time.

I know people criticize the art style of retro anime, but I honestly love the detail of that old cel animation, the intricacies of the backgrounds, the fact that every fight scene worth paying attention to was skillfully hand drawn and painted, there's so much charm to old-school anime aesthetics even if the designs have fallen out of fashion. I'll take the artwork of a classic Gundam show or a Trigun or an Outlaw Star to anything produced today. I want my hyper detailed backgrounds, the elaborate costuming, the clean character designs, the unique and diverse styles way more than that hyper shiny, giant eyed, plastic, Moe look complete with anatomical abominations and laughably limited animation with glaring and obvious short cuts (although to be fair, older anime, especially from the 70's and even the 80's and 90's used it's fair share of recycled animation as well, Sailor Moon anyone?)

I have also heard people say that the pace of old anime shows is off. While some older animes struggled with pacing to an extent, I don't think it's a significant problem. In fact I find the pace of many early animes to simply be more measured and slow, they took their time, built character, developed worlds, gradually dispensed details. Nowadays, so many modern animes just bombard you with details and new characters to the point where you are overwhelmed or they take so long to get things moving, you completely clock out.

I think it's the variety that endures me to older shows however, there are so many different genres and types; classic shonen, supernatural, mystery, sci-fi, mech, adaptations of Western/European literature, sports, cyberpunk, samurai, et cetera, etc. Nowadays it's all Harems or historical dramas or zany comedies or school day, slice of life, romcoms, or video game/fantasy nonsense. I'm not saying there aren't good shows within those very genres, but I am saying that by and large, a lot of shows fitting those types are garbage both artistically and narratively and it seems every one and their brother is making another series to capitalize on these popular, average and simply overdone trends.

There are some newer anime series that I enjoy immensely; Megalo Box (funny as most of its success is because of its attempts to be retro), My Hero Academia, Kill La Kill, Mob Psycho 100, Hunter X Hunter, Parasyte (Based on a super old manga), but they are far and few between, the needle in a haystack of schoolgirls, harems and fantasy RPG's.

My absolute favourite anime of all time is probably Cowboy Bebop and I also really like Gurren Lagann, Mushishi, Samurai Champloo, Outlaw Star, Nadia Secret of Blue Water, Escaflowne, Galaxy Express 999, 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother, Eureka Seven, Noir, Trigun, Noein, Serial Experiments Lain, Paranoia Agent, Yu Yu Hakusho and the original Full Metal Alchemist. The diversity across these shows, all made pre-2010, demonstrates how much better, more varied and exciting older anime was. The newer anime series that I have seen, even the good ones, have nothing on the shows I just listed.

Last edited:
I enjoy a few old anime (Trigun, Escaflowne, Rave Master) but for the most part I'm in the New anime camp. Some of my favorite anime have come out fairly recently and I really enjoy the smoothness of the animation.

I'm in both camps. I like the older stuff and the newer stuff. I'm currently watching an older series, Saint Seiya. Lots of fighting, lots of guys in armor fighting, a surprisingly high body count, and a lot of heart.

I'm a fan of both old and new. I enjoy to see the different styles and genres throughout the years.

Some of my favorites includes Digimon, Toradore!, ReLife, Say "I Love You", Pokémon (Up to a specific point), and Madoka Magica.

My favorite anime are Ghost in the Shell and Ronma 1/2
I was also a fan of Birdy the Mighty. Even though it only lasted the 3/4 first episodes
Cowboy Bebop is also vary well illustrated.
I've never been able to get into DragonBal

Definitely room in my life for both older and brand new Anime.

Gundam, Macross and Full Metal Panic are my favourite giant mecha (favourite genre) but I love all sorts of Anime.

Gotta get to Tiger and Bunny as I love Superheroes as well, my too watch list grows faster than my completed list lol.

I had almost completely forgot about Digimon (i even played all the Digimon World games) since it hadn't been on in a long time (I was watching the newest series while it was on TV, then it seemed to just disappear like the 2nd Avatar Series, which was on the same channel), and I forgot about Hunter X Hunter as well (though I watched the newer version, not the older one, and I so hope they keep it going)

Newer for me. I am a huge fan of drama and suspense in anime. I love trying to invest myself in the situation. Combine that with my love of art in general, the cleaner, more pristine and detailed the better.
I call them visual spectacles, but animations like fight scenes of Darling in the franxx, My Hero Academia, Blood Blockade battlefront, Fate Stay Night, and many more.

Blood blockade for exampt at first glance is a typical anime comedy. If you stop and really observe everything, look at the background. Full cities drawn in detail, numerous people and objects, lighting effects that add to the feel, smoke, motions of dozens of objects. All amazingly orchestrated into a normally overlooked symphony.
More familiar and socially popular ones like Your Name and Garden of Words can be observed too.

I have watched some of the older anime, but the older styles and quality sometimes get to me. Classics like Howls moving Castle, spirited away, and Neon Genesis are all ones that I quite enjoyed.

I honestly think it comes down to personal tastes haha. Since I love art, I go towards the newer ones. (Even though yes the older ones have good art too, I find it a bit too "soft" for me (not sure that made sense lol)

But yes some of my favorites are:
Hunter x Hunter
Pokemon (don't judge lol)
Blood Blockade Battlefront
My Hero Academia
Charlotte
Ouran Host Club (lol yes I'm a guy I love it's comedy)
Noragami
Erased
Angel Beats

I'll stop there......I've never written this much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back