• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

100 stored messages regardless how many folders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur,
Since we can create folders, can't we have, say, 100 per, instead of 100 total messages?

Also, if we have 100 mssgs stored, what happens to new ones? Returned to sender? Buffered somewhere?

Role
Private
Just delete old messages? Surely a message over 3 months old isn't worth keeping. I do that after I read/reply to a message and I also delete out my sent message as well. Nevertheless, I don't think I've received 100PMs ever, in all my time here. *snubs everyone* :(

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
THe limit has been set for various reasons, one of them to keep down server and bandwidth size, and another reason would be to encourage people to either talk on the forum or use IM services rather than forum PM. So lifting the limits, or letting people sneak around it by creating folders, would go against the reasons for having a limit in the first place.

If you want more storage space, just download the old messages to your hard drive (there's a very convenient download function that lets you download all of your PM messages in text, html or xml files), then delete them. That way, you can still access your old messages while they get removed off the ADISC servers.

Peachy

LittleAdam

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Incontinent
Hmmm, my PM storage limit is 500...I remember that got changed by RJ somewhere along the line

Point

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little
Nevertheless, I don't think I've received 100PMs ever, in all my time here. *snubs everyone* :(
Hey! I know I've sent you at least one! And that's pretty darn good considering we have 4,731 members!

Also, I've never understood the limit on PMs. Do they take up that much space that they need to be limited?

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur,
"Sneak" around limits? I would've called it "a creative solution and thinking outside the box..." But the point is taken. I suspected there might be a good reason or 2 for the limit... other than software default settings... I will hoard my messages on my hard drive then...

*Edit* It seems I magically have a storage limit increase to 500 now. But my other question remains unanswered: if one is at one's limit, what happens to new messages? Do they vanish into the ether? Buffered in the dead letter office? Sent onto the next member with available space (in alphabetical order?) Does the system keep trying to send them forever until the space opens up?

Last edited:

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
*Edit* It seems I magically have a storage limit increase to 500 now. But my other question remains unanswered: if one is at one's limit, what happens to new messages? Do they vanish into the ether? Buffered in the dead letter office? Sent onto the next member with available space (in alphabetical order?) Does the system keep trying to send them forever until the space opens up?
I beleive the messages would bounce back saying "You can't send the pm to XYZ" It might say due to their PM box being full. Or not say anything at all. I don't know how it's set up and I'm not familiar with vB forums that much. Also, I beleive certain members (i.e. Admins and maybe Mods) Can pm you still and override that bouncing back feature. So it will say something like 101/100 :p.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur,
yes,yes, that would make sense; I was merely curious. Though I thought the dead letter office, probably an admin folder, made sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.