Just had my surgery, slill in hosp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope you make it thru this ordeal with some great improvements, Slomo. Keep us updated on how you feel now that the prostate is completely gone.

Well, it looks like my release from the hospital was a little too early. Fun fact, did you know that general anesthesia not only puts you to sleep, but it will also shut down you're intestinal tract as well- and for up to an additional 72 hours after you wake up too. Not only that, but when it starts to come back online, it happens in sections, and that sometimes those sections can actually be trying to push food in the wrong direction. It call intestinal ileus.

Well, that happened to me. And when my digested food hit this reverse section, it was like a literal, temporary, blockage which caused everything to back up and build in pressure. The pressure was quite painful, more so than the surgical incisions I have. I wen't back to the ER, and they gave me some IV meds to calm things down and cut out the pain. I still can't poop yet, but it's expected that could take up to another full day to happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and the crazy thing is when I got out of the car at the ER, my wife got a wheel chair for me. I was doubling over and crying out from the pain, in a true level 8 pain on the 1-10 scale (you don't want to know what level 10 is). Anyways, the sidewalk curb has those yellow dots for blind people. They also managed to really jostle things down there for me. So much so that without any warning or feeling I pooped my diaper. It was all liquid and gas, but still a relief. Right there and then my pain level was cut back by two points.

Well I guess that comes under the heading of good news/bad news. The real pain will begin when you start getting the bills for all of this. I had two cataracts removed in January. They tell you it will cost $385.00 per eye which it did. What they didn't tell me was that after my insurance covered most of the expenses, I still had to pay $600.00 for the eye drops and this week I got a + $1000.00 bill for the anesthesia. I'm hoping that was for both surgeries, but the surgeries were two weeks apart and I'm fearing another $1000.00 bill coming in the mail. My fixed income is going to have to stretch.

Anyway, I'm glad things are going in "the right direction". Hopefully the pain will get less and less, the physical pain, that is. Good luck.

dogboy said:
Well I guess that comes under the heading of good news/bad news. The real pain will begin when you start getting the bills for all of this. I had two cataracts removed in January. They tell you it will cost $385.00 per eye which it did. What they didn't tell me was that after my insurance covered most of the expenses, I still had to pay $600.00 for the eye drops and this week I got a + $1000.00 bill for the anesthesia. I'm hoping that was for both surgeries, but the surgeries were two weeks apart and I'm fearing another $1000.00 bill coming in the mail. My fixed income is going to have to stretch.

Anyway, I'm glad things are going in "the right direction". Hopefully the pain will get less and less, the physical pain, that is. Good luck.

I try not to rub it in, but copays for military retirees are ridiculously small. I doubt I'll even get a $100 bill from the hospital. But yeah, If I got hurt as a civilian then I probably wouldn't even had been allowed to have insurance before the Affordable Care Act. Heck, I'd probably be dead from not being able to afford my necessary care.

Slomo said:
I try not to rub it in, but copays for military retirees are ridiculously small. I doubt I'll even get a $100 bill from the hospital. But yeah, If I got hurt as a civilian then I probably wouldn't even had been allowed to have insurance before the Affordable Care Act. Heck, I'd probably be dead from not being able to afford my necessary care.

I suppose I could be jealous, but with all you've gone through, I'm very glad your medical expenses will be covered. You've gone through enough.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Agreed. Hope you get well soon

My recovery continues slowly. I was finally able to pass a little bm this morning, but still feeling bloated. My incisions are healing about as expected, and bruising has started to show on my abdomen (as expected). I still have a little blood leaking past my catheter, this too is expected so I'm still wearing a diaper for that. I'm still needing pain pills every 4-6 hours, and still sleeping 12+ hours each day.

Still no early indication if the surgery was a success of failure, but I don't expect to get that for a couple more weeks when the catheter comes out.

Wishing you a speedy recovery, Slomo. The tiredness is a pain after general anaesthetic; last time I had surgery it was three weeks before I stopped wanting to just sleep all the time.

Hi Slomo, just want to let you know that I'm thinking of you and wish you a speedy recovery. Get well soon.

I hope you’re recovering better and faster.

Slomo, thanks for sharing. Wishing patience and a full recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back