anyone else who hated cartoons as a kid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
I've absolutely hated cartoons for at least as long as I can remember. when I say cartoons I include anime because contrary to what some may think anime is cartoons The absolute worst cartoons ever were the ones made by Disney. that cutesy wholesomeness has always irritated the living crap out of me. seriously for me the only way Disney World would ever be the happiest place on earth is if it burned to the ground.

You don't like cartoons???

But ... but ... WHY?! :sadno:

I love all kinds of animation so I can not relate at all.

No i general watch cartoons. Im 36 yrs old ab all the way

I think I understand what you are saying.

I liked the Loony Tones and Hanna Barbara stuff from the 60's when I was little. Then the politically correct craze started in the early seventies and the shows started to get "boring'

I still do not understand what is so bad about the Road Runner?

[video=youtube;WWaLxFIVX1s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s[/video]

Cartoons and anime are the best!!!

Yeah, I'm afraid I've always loved cartoons as well. Oddly enough, so did my daughter, and we used to watch them together. When I was a little kid and television was relatively new, they showed a lot of the old cartoons, some of which came from the silent movie era. Many of those were scary. The old Disney and Warner Brothers cartoons were well animated. Back then, each panel was drawn by hand.

Now I watch fun, happy and innocent cartoons like Aqua Teen, Hunger Force.

It's one of those things I don't think is possible to be perfectly honest. I have heard some people say they hate anime for example, but their reasoning behind it never makes a whole lot of sense. So when you extend it to cartoons as a whole, I think it makes even less sense.

Don't like the art? Well, not all cartoons have the same art style, so this would mean you don't like art in general if you hate all cartoons, because it would mean you hate all art styles.
Don't like the stories? Well, guess that means you don't like books, shows, or movies either. The stories and genres for cartoons are just as vast as any media.

Basically every part of a cartoon you hate would imply you also hate something much larger. The only thing cartoons have that no other medium does not is animation (Although CG and visual effects in movies are not exactly cartoons and have to be animated to, but in a different manner). Hating animation though is sort of odd, and if it's not the animation part that you hate ... then chances are you do not hate cartoons, you just have yet to find one you like.

What happens more often than not is you decide you don't like something and so you never actually give it any chance. It's sort of like how a DC fan may hate Marvel, or a Playstation fan may hate xbox. It's all down to psychology. You hate it, because you say you do, but the reality is ... you wouldn't hate it if you where not so caught up in trying to hate it. There maybe certain aspects you don't like, but that applies to everyone.

brabbit1987 said:
It's one of those things I don't think is possible to be perfectly honest. I have heard some people say they hate anime for example, but their reasoning behind it never makes a whole lot of sense. So when you extend it to cartoons as a whole, I think it makes even less sense.

Don't like the art? Well, not all cartoons have the same art style, so this would mean you don't like art in general if you hate all cartoons, because it would mean you hate all art styles.
Don't like the stories? Well, guess that means you don't like books, shows, or movies either. The stories and genres for cartoons are just as vast as any media.

Basically every part of a cartoon you hate would imply you also hate something much larger. The only thing cartoons have that no other medium does not is animation (Although CG and visual effects in movies are not exactly cartoons and have to be animated to, but in a different manner). Hating animation though is sort of odd, and if it's not the animation part that you hate ... then chances are you do not hate cartoons, you just have yet to find one you like.

What happens more often than not is you decide you don't like something and so you never actually give it any chance. It's sort of like how a DC fan may hate Marvel, or a Playstation fan may hate xbox. It's all down to psychology. You hate it, because you say you do, but the reality is ... you wouldn't hate it if you where not so caught up in trying to hate it. There maybe certain aspects you don't like, but that applies to everyone.

I just always had a strong dislike for things that weren't real. As a kid I felt that fiction of any kind was a lie and I've always hated being lied to. I refused to read fiction and believe or not I instinctively knew my parents were lying about Santa claus, easter bunny, tooth fairy, where babies came from etc even though they kept insisting it was all true

MitchThaToddler said:
I just always had a strong dislike for things that weren't real. As a kid I felt that fiction of any kind was a lie and I've always hated being lied to. I refused to read fiction and believe or not I instinctively knew my parents were lying about Santa claus, easter bunny, tooth fairy, where babies came from etc even though they kept insisting it was all true

Actually, that's sort of interesting. As a child, I always had a wild imagination, so I enjoy fiction, but I see where you're coming from. Everyone is different and everyone's brain is unique, at least to some degree. I was going to suggest to you that you see Disney's new version of The Jungle Book, but that of course is fiction and very unreal.

The thing about most fiction is that though they are fictional stories, they almost always tell a truth and many truths about who we are as people, what makes us happy and what hurts us. When I wrote "Coffee Stop" for this site, it's ridiculously unreal since it deals with some very nasty demons, but much of what the antagonist feels concerning diapers and his "little" self is about me when I was growing up. In fact, most of what he has to reveal to his psychiatrist were things that happened to me when I was growing up. Fiction is all about real life, even Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd.

Anyway, I respect your likes and dislikes, and you're perfectly entitled to not like cartoons, but like Brrabbit said, there's all kind of animation and some of it is really cool.

egor said:
I think I understand what you are saying.

I liked the Loony Tones and Hanna Barbara stuff from the 60's when I was little. Then the politically correct craze started in the early seventies and the shows started to get "boring'

You've never watched 90s Nickelodeon. Ren and Stimpy was far from politically correct. Rocko's Modern Life wasn't very innocent. Animaniacs. SpongeBob has so many hidden dirty jokes in it.

MitchThaToddler said:

So in other words, you hate fiction entirely? Not just cartoons?

Anyway, it's a very very odd thing to dislike and your reasoning seems sort of weird too. In order for something to be a lie it, would need to be told in a manner as if it's the truth. Most fictional works, are told in a way that makes it pretty obvious it is not true. So, your hate for being lied to is all in your head, because it's not actually happening.

I mean, I myself am a pretty big skeptic. I hate being lied too as well, and I also really never believed in Santa, but I don't see how that has anything to do with a works of fiction when you know it's fiction. In plus, real life is boring as hell ... all stories you ever read is going to be partly fiction to some extent due to this. Even true stories have fictional elements to them to liven them up. Also, even your memories tend to be a work of fiction due to the way our brains work. Things rarely happened exactly the way we remember them.

See, I thought it was absurd that you hated cartoons, but now you are telling me you hate all fictional works. That's nuts, and also extremely sad if true. This must mean you also hate most if not all video games as well, or maybe I should say entertainment in general.

egor said:

Perhaps you own shares of stock in Acme Corp? :)

I don't think we should be hard on Mitch for disliking fiction. Sure, it's unusual, but there is nothing intrinsically wrong with that.

I love fiction and the never ending possibilites of the immagination. I even hold the radical belief that a life vertual experiences are every bit as valid as real ones. Howerver, with todays glut of media, escapeism has become the opiate of the masses. We are entranced and transfixed by a never ending deluge of movies and games, and woefully ignorant of the world around us. In such a milieu it is perhaps laudable to be immune to these glamours.

Fiction in any form is a blatant lie. Whether it's cartoons, santa, literature, etc none of it's true thus it's lies. For as long as i can remember my favorite show has been the news. I spent recess reading dictionaries, encyclopedias, and high school textbooks that i borrowed from my older brother. Other kids would play pretend but that did nothing but irritate me. Hell when my little sister was 7 and still believed in santa claus i set up a camera in the hallway on christmas eve to catch our parents hauling the presents downstairs. I showed her the video the next day after presents were opened. That was 2007 and never felt even remotely sorry at any point since.

That's interesting. It makes me wonder if you are on the autism spectrum. I have read that a hatered of fiction is a common characteristic in people with autism. Despite this most diagnosed autists I have talked to have some interest in fiction, if not a full on obsession with a certain genre or character.

I disagree that fiction is a lie, however. Lies are mistruths posing as truths. Fiction is mistruth posing as mistruth. Ethically speaking, they belong to two totally different categories.

I find it interesting that you identify yourself as and AB and little though, since both of those labels conotate a level of makebelieve that one is an age they are not.

CuddleFish said:
That's interesting. It makes me wonder if you are on the autism spectrum. I have read that a hatered of fiction is a common characteristic in people with autism. Despite this most diagnosed autists I have talked to have some interest in fiction, if not a full on obsession with a certain genre or character.

I disagree that fiction is a lie, however. Lies are mistruths posing as truths. Fiction is mistruth posing as mistruth. Ethically speaking, they belong to two totally different categories.

I find it interesting that you identify yourself as and AB and little though, since both of those labels conotate a level of makebelieve that one is an age they are not.

I was diagnosed with aspergers when I was 10. Mistruths are lies PERIOD regardless of how they are posed. I'm not AB I'm strictly DL and quite frankly I've gradually been losing the L part for the past few months. I was never a kid even when I was a kid and I'll be damned if I'll be one as an adult. seriously if I ever have offspring I can guarantee you they will have adult minds by the time puberty rolls around.

MitchThaToddler said:
I was diagnosed with aspergers when I was 10. Mistruths are lies PERIOD regardless of how they are posed. I'm not AB I'm strictly DL and quite frankly I've gradually been losing the L part for the past few months. I was never a kid even when I was a kid and I'll be damned if I'll be one as an adult. seriously if I ever have offspring I can guarantee you they will have adult minds by the time puberty rolls around.

You certainly seem worked up about it (to be fair, I see a number of posters here who are worked up the other way). I don't think there's anything wrong with favoring non-fiction. I know people who feel their time is better spent on learning facts and accounts of things that really happened. I believe I've learned much from well-written fiction, from how to tell a story (true or not) well to insights on human nature and interaction.

As to lies, there is a definition of "lie" that is an intentionally false statement. To me, there's more to truth or lies than the simple facts of a situation. A made-up story that everyone knows to be fictitious may illuminate truth. Without malice or the intent to deceive, I don't think lies count for much. As such, I can't count fiction in the same ballpark as a lie. I find your stressing of adult perspective interesting overall, since I think nuance and discernment are trademarks of adult thought and while a love of fiction isn't required, I think the understanding of its importance in culture is.

If you know someone is lying to you they're still lying. A mistruth posing as a mistruth is still a lie for the same reasons. even if something true can be learned from fiction the same truth can be learned better from facts because the truth learned from fiction will likely be viewed as fiction whereas truth learned from nonfiction will not be viewed as fiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back