Not open for further replies.

Milko

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
  3. Diaperfur
  4. Carer
Just thought I'd make this thread about my new laptop that a friend gave me when he was clearing out his garage.

It's a Toshiba Satellite Pro 440CDX from 1996, though my BIOS is dated August 1997.

IMG_2889.JPG IMG_2891.JPG

it's about 4.5cm (roughly 1.75 inches) thick.

It has a 133MHz Intel Pentium MMX Processor, and 80MB of RAM.

IMG_2900.JPG IMG_2904.JPG

It also has a 1.34GB Hard Drive, which slides in the front of the laptop. But I thought that might not be enough storage, so I got a PCMCIA to Compact Flash adapter and permenantly put in a 4GB flash card into the slot.

IMG_2893.JPG IMG_2894.JPG IMG_2895.JPG
IMG_2896.JPG IMG_2897.JPG IMG_2898.JPG

Just to let everyone know, this thread isn't a joke and I actually do use this laptop almost daily. Despite being 18 years old, the battery still holds about an hour of charge. I don't mind being patient with it and I have used slower computers. Oh, and it's running Windows 98SE. Here are some more pictures:

IMG_2901.JPG IMG_2902.JPG IMG_2903.JPG

The screen doesn't look the best, especially on camera, as it's an old Passive-Matrix LCD, which look quite washed out and ghosty compared to most other LCD's even of the time.

Here's a good comparison on Youtube between active matrix and passive matrix displays: (not my video by the way)

[video=youtube;mnh3lt8rnUk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnh3lt8rnUk[/video]

Hey, the laptop on the left looks like mine! Except it has a better screen. But you can see how the display on the PowerBook looks like everything's on a fade transition.

Anyway, that's all. I'm happy to answer anyone's questions :) Now all I need is a PCMCIA ethernet card so I can get on the internet with this thing ^_^

Hey :biggrin:

Cool man. How many computers do you have it looks like you have a few and an iMac on the side there :) I run macs myself too. I've got everyone, but my brother on a Mac.

I wouldn't be able to operate with a computer that dated! But I have a year 2000-ish Dell Latitude D600 Laptop that I use in by basement network lab. I use it for the old serial port which I need for console / terminal connections to my networking gear. I guess you collect old gear, huh?

I'm installing the public beta of OS X El Capitan on one of my older macs, right now. After that I'll move to installing the public beta of iOS 9 on my previous iPad Air.

BluMew said:
Hey :biggrin:

Cool man. How many computers do you have it looks like you have a few and an iMac on the side there :) I run macs myself too. I've got everyone, but my brother on a Mac.

I wouldn't be able to operate with a computer that dated! But I have a year 2000-ish Dell Latitude D600 Laptop that I use in by basement network lab. I use it for the old serial port which I need for console / terminal connections to my networking gear. I guess you collect old gear, huh?

yeah, I have about 15 computers. I am going to use the iMac for video editing as I have a legitimate *cough :) copy of Final Cut Pro HD 4.5. I want to get my custom built desktop on that desk the photo was taken on, but I need a DVI-ADC adapter to get it working with my monitor.

The laptop is surprisingly capable if you give it a chance and consider the fact that it is literally old enough to have a driver's license :)

Milko said:
The laptop is surprisingly capable if you give it a chance and consider the fact that it is literally old enough to have a driver's license :)
I bet it could get a drink in a few years, too, right? It's 21, over here. Windows 95 / Windows 98 is around the time I was starting out with AOL, American Online, and make my first steps out on the internet. I was also still using a dial up modem to connect to a BBS to talk and play with friends. The neatest thing was using this program called "ZDOOM" it would allow you to connect to the BBS, but then load up a copy of a multiplayer game like Doom / Doom II or Descent and fight / blast each other to bits.

Milko said:
yeah, I have about 15 computers. I am going to use the iMac for video editing as I have a legitimate *cough :) copy of Final Cut Pro HD 4.5. I want to get my custom built desktop on that desk the photo was taken on, but I need a DVI-ADC adapter to get it working with my monitor.
xD that is a lot of computers! Then again, I guess I'm not too far behind. I have like 2 macs, a 2 laptops (one personal, one (the old one) for the lab), a Windows desktop for the lab, and a 2U rackmount for the lab. Then I have an iPhone and two iPads.

Speaking of which, you need to PM me about your network / internet sharing project still :)

Have fun getting that on the internet :) I had to give up on my old '01 iBook G3 when even google was too much for it.... It was a pitty as apart from the internet it served me really well (And the early 2000's ice white iBooks are the best looking laptops ever imo :) )

Max234131 said:
Have fun getting that on the internet :) I had to give up on my old '01 iBook G3 when even google was too much for it.... It was a pitty as apart from the internet it served me really well (And the early 2000's ice white iBooks are the best looking laptops ever imo :) )

My 2000 Power Mac G4 Digital Audio was fine on the internet. I stopped using it a few months ago because youtube discontinued support for it. I used this old app called YouView to watch youtube on it as the 466MHz processor wasn't really up for it :)

- - - Updated - - -

oh and..

Max234131 said:
Have fun getting that on the internet :)

challenge accepted :) you're ON!!

Milko said:
My 2000 Power Mac G4 Digital Audio was fine on the internet. I stopped using it a few months ago because youtube discontinued support for it. I used this old app called YouView to watch youtube on it as the 466MHz processor wasn't really up for it :)

I guess TenFourFox just dosent play nice with G3's then :) (it dose work quite well on my Quicksilver G4, but that has also been upgraded quite a lot)

Milko said:
challenge accepted you're ON!!

Haha, I'm waiting for the pictures :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back