Caregivers , working and diapers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I had recognized the uniform just not the furry guy in it. I think I have that movie on VHS, DVD and Laser Disc

I have a associates degree in electronics and did work as an engineer for a bit just with out the extra pay but when that company let me go in 2005, then in 2006 my neighbors mobile home went up in flames and took mine with it, Thank god I had insurance, I used that money to buy the trailer I am in now.
I just have not found squat since, I ended up blowing though all my savings then got back on SSDI but yeah the ticket to work and all that other jazz is just some one blowing smoke up my butt. I can't complain about the SSD, since I have had some work history my benefit is higher as it was based on my past income, I know people that don't get half of what I get and I think that is totally unfair, it makes harder and harder for people trying to get started, but that said I don't get any aid from the state, so no dental or other aid so I pay much more for medical expenses like diapers and dental bills

DracoAmericanus said:
I thought I had recognized the uniform just not the furry guy in it. I think I have that movie on VHS, DVD and Laser Disc

I have a associates degree in electronics and did work as an engineer for a bit just with out the extra pay but when that company let me go in 2005, then in 2006 my neighbors mobile home went up in flames and took mine with it, Thank god I had insurance, I used that money to buy the trailer I am in now.
I just have not found squat since, I ended up blowing though all my savings then got back on SSDI but yeah the ticket to work and all that other jazz is just some one blowing smoke up my butt. I can't complain about the SSD, since I have had some work history my benefit is higher as it was based on my past income, I know people that don't get half of what I get and I think that is totally unfair, it makes harder and harder for people trying to get started, but that said I don't get any aid from the state, so no dental or other aid so I pay much more for medical expenses like diapers and dental bills
They give state payments here to anyone who will have to be reported as living in poverty otherwise , my girlfriend got screwed out Medicare because she was one credit short of the number needed to qualify , I figured out that she got denied based on what s credit was worth when she filed which was about $270 , her state payjent is $22.10 so that they don't have to say she is living in poverty , which is odd because half of the people in the county live under the poverty line,so without the manipulated numbers caused by those payments I bet 95% would be under.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I am on SSD and I chose to get on Medicaid. It's hard, but I make it work because I have to. With out in home care I would be screwed

I get CSSD & CSSDI Medicaid is automatic ,Medicare is primary what ever they don't cover is paid for by Medicaid.

I get 49 hours of hours of homecare a week , i used to get 80 but due to budget cuts ,basiclay around here if you need more then 63 hours they force you to make due with that or put you into a nursing home .my G/f is at 63 now has no ability to transfer independently and has to split her hours into morning and evening so she can be stuck in a used diaper for as long as 6 hours before getting changed.

Tetra said:
If you look up the FLSA & NRA legislation that also allows people with disabilities to be paid less than minimum wage , it's fascinating to read why the President signed it into law at all, and his warnings to the future about it , show just how brilliant a man FDR was and is,and also shows why we need some politicians with a spine , there are all kinds of incentive programs periodically to both employers and the disabled , that are really half heated attempts (especially because those programs are farmed out to private companies , who are paid regardless of the effectiveness of the program) I get my phone blown up periodically by these programs and i let the people calling know what a scam this is ( because most of them boil down to the "ticket to work" program ,and when i ivestigated working four hours a week , i found out that program was garbage ,by working 4 hours a week ,i would lose all of health care benefits immediately , just my medications are north of $1750 add catheters and diapers and your north of $5000 dollars ) so why on earth do they keep calling the same disabled people who can not return to work ? Because we are easy targets for creating a paper trail, that they tried ! If these programs were pay for performance , they would not continuously run through the list of people on compassionate social security disability, they would be wasting resources that could be used to gain employment or better employment for the disabled that can work and want to work ,as far as low or no vision employment it is an uphill battle my best friend was blind and she had to waste 4 years trying to convince people that a blind person could do the work and achieve a master's degree once she was finally allowed she aced her work and earned her master's in social work, she was never able to get a job with her master's degree , because the invisible wall against the visual impaired is monumental even with a master's degree .If people would lay aside there bias and give the disabled a chance to do the job that there bias says they can't do it would be a great day .

So the President signed or created a document that was approved by Congress that allows violation of Human Rights, which is in the United States' Amendments to give equal rights to all.
So the President himself broke the law, Discrimination Laws that are in place to prevent discrimination against people for their beliefs, cultural, race and/or having disabilities. How was this bull crap approved?
Hopefully things change.

- - - Updated - - -

caitianx said:
90% of us Autistic adults are unemployed.
We are seen as "too difficult to work with".
In my daily outings I see that places like WALMART will only employ a couple token disabled adults, just to say they hire the handicapped.
My own experiences with employment have been difficult.
None of my employers made any accomodations to my disabilities of Asperger's Syndrome and Mild Cerebral Palsy.
My own experience is that employers really loath and look down upon disabled adults who are incontinent.
It is like, we do not want to see your dirty adult diapers in our bathroom's trash bin.
Sad, but true.

I don't understand much about Autism, other than friend, who is Autistic, told me that for some it effects their social ability such as, understanding social queues.

While it is against Human Rights(Law) to deny a person a job, but if your disability affects the bona fide job occupation, which they have to prove, they can refuse you the job.
But, and a lot of people don't know this, an Employer when in a Job Interview can NOT ask you if you have a disability, it's a discriminary question. If this is on an application you can leave it blank, don't lie in it either. Asking a question like this is no different than asking what your religion is. It has nothing to do with your job qualifications.

So if you're autistic and you go in for a job interview, he or she doesn't need to know about it.
If you wear diapers, he or she doesn't need to know about it.
Unless as stated before, unless your disability affects the bona fide job requirement, they can NOT ask this.
This is part of Human Rights.

They assume cause you're disabled in one way or another that you lack intelligence, don't let them bully you and don't be afraid to fight back. Dig up some Human Rights Laws and defend yourself with them, you'll be surprised how quickly they curl their tail.

I made KFC's head office back off before when they came in for annual inspection, I was doing something different then in the procedures manual because

1. it wasn't follow the Labour Code and Safety Regulations and;

2. The area was poorly designed for ergonomics, no ramp for moving heavy carts into the elevated cooler;

3. Having to lift cases that are 54lbs(24.5kg) which is 10lbs(4.5kg) above maximum amount in the Labour Code to make a person lift without assistance (disabled or not) This one in particular is where I had them nailed, I can't lift more than 40lbs because of the rods in my back.
They then tried saying, "You never mentioned you had a disability when you were hired. Want to explain?"
Me: "Well for starters, that's not the issue here so don't advert from the conversation, and 2nd you're not allowed to ask that question and you know why you're not allowed."

I took back control and went back to what I was saying to them.

4. You're Government Labour Code Book was tucked away and is 8 years out of dated, it should of been replaced multiple times by now and was also updated last year.
And you and your management staff have NOT been informing or giving employees their entitled vacation time.

"I'm the Auditor will love this. Go ahead and Fire me, I'm that'll go well along with all the other things I can list"

I made sure to clarify how an Employer can not fire an employee for practicing or mentioning his/her Rights, also against the law.

Shortly after the place finally had things being repaired and updated, cost them lots of money. And staff started getting vacations.

It reasons like this why I starting going to school to become an OHS&E Officer.

Sorry for the long post, I rambled lot.

My disability is obvious. I walk with crutches or use a wheelchair and the perception that raises in the employers mind has prevented me from getting several jobs often before the first question is asked

edward321 said:
So the President signed or created a document that was approved by Congress that allows violation of Human Rights, which is in the United States' Amendments to give equal rights to all.
So the President himself broke the law, Discrimination Laws that are in place to prevent discrimination against people for their beliefs, cultural, race and/or having disabilities. How was this bull crap approved?
Hopefully things change.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't understand much about Autism, other than friend, who is Autistic, told me that for some it effects their social ability such as, understanding social queues.

While it is against Human Rights(Law) to deny a person a job, but if your disability affects the bona fide job occupation, which they have to prove, they can refuse you the job.
But, and a lot of people don't know this, an Employer when in a Job Interview can NOT ask you if you have a disability, it's a discriminary question. If this is on an application you can leave it blank, don't lie in it either. Asking a question like this is no different than asking what your religion is. It has nothing to do with your job qualifications.

So if you're autistic and you go in for a job interview, he or she doesn't need to know about it.
If you wear diapers, he or she doesn't need to know about it.
Unless as stated before, unless your disability affects the bona fide job requirement, they can NOT ask this.
This is part of Human Rights.

They assume cause you're disabled in one way or another that you lack intelligence, don't let them bully you and don't be afraid to fight back. Dig up some Human Rights Laws and defend yourself with them, you'll be surprised how quickly they curl their tail.

I made KFC's head office back off before when they came in for annual inspection, I was doing something different then in the procedures manual because

1. it wasn't follow the Labour Code and Safety Regulations and;

2. The area was poorly designed for ergonomics, no ramp for moving heavy carts into the elevated cooler;

3. Having to lift cases that are 54lbs(24.5kg) which is 10lbs(4.5kg) above maximum amount in the Labour Code to make a person lift without assistance (disabled or not) This one in particular is where I had them nailed, I can't lift more than 40lbs because of the rods in my back.
They then tried saying, "You never mentioned you had a disability when you were hired. Want to explain?"
Me: "Well for starters, that's not the issue here so don't advert from the conversation, and 2nd you're not allowed to ask that question and you know why you're not allowed."

I took back control and went back to what I was saying to them.

4. You're Government Labour Code Book was tucked away and is 8 years out of dated, it should of been replaced multiple times by now and was also updated last year.
And you and your management staff have NOT been informing or giving employees their entitled vacation time.

"I'm the Auditor will love this. Go ahead and Fire me, I'm that'll go well along with all the other things I can list"

I made sure to clarify how an Employer can not fire an employee for practicing or mentioning his/her Rights, also against the law.

Shortly after the place finally had things being repaired and updated, cost them lots of money. And staff started getting vacations.

It reasons like this why I starting going to school to become an OHS&E Officer.

Sorry for the long post, I rambled lot.
I live in subsidized housing and every time they have a chance to do things the easy way, they don't!
anytime I need an accommodation no matter how big or small they turn it into a pissing contest.

When I moved in here if the disabled needed something done at the office they had to throw pebbles at the window to get someone to come out , they claimed the building was accessible and the ramp was fine , I sued and filed a complaint, the day we got letters saying the inspector was coming tommorow, they had 20 guys with bull dozers and Jack hammers take the entire front of the building off over night so there would be nothing to expect , I had long before documented it forensicaly , I have a degree in forensic evidence preservation .

The curb cuts were built wrong city wide and would flood every time it rained , crossings had no beepers for The visually impaired , I got an 80 million dollar judgement against the city, I don't take crap easy , pick a fight with this cripp and you will regret it, my G/F and I are advocates for anyone in town who needs something. I hate discrimination and always feel like i have to champion the cause even before I was a card carrying cripp .

My boss would hire people with disabilities over someone who is not disabled. We have a gentleman who is paralyzed from the waist down. He's been with the company for 20 years.
Aside from my IC (which they don't know about) I have a severe back issues. They made accommodations for me. Every hour I get up and walk around and take parts to other people in different departments. I get to stretch, walk and my back feels amazing. But it's the IC that's becoming more and more of an issue.
When boss man gets back from the jewelry show in Vegas I'm going to sit down with him and his wife who is our HR person and let them know what is going on. They are beautiful friendly people whom I knew before I work for the company.

Hi, since im blind, my disability is obvious from using the white cane.i did mention my IC issues just to cover my ass and showed a doctors not to. I explained that it probably wont be an issue much since im only working 3 hr shifts. Keeping my shifts at 3 hrs is the key, it helps my feet a lot more and not having to take a 15 min break helps tobecause, it means i dont have to choose between a diaper change. Also not having to climb up and down the stairs to take that break and kill have the time anyways, really cuts down on the overall stress. With a 3 hr shift ipunchinandwork than go home. During the 3 hrs , i probly leak slightly a few times and usually wet at least once and sometimes twice. There are bathrooms close by, but the leaks are transom and the urges happen at the worst times when bagging a bunch of orders at in a row and because of lifting bags, even if i try to hold it, i often times start wetting before i realize its happening. And besides, downstairs bathrooms are pointless when y extra diapers is upstairs in my locker. So 3 hrs a shift for me is good on my feet, and good for my diaper use, and still allows me a decent check by the end of the week.

I can tell you from experience that theres a lot of employment discrimination against the disabled. I have psychiatric, physical and eyesight impairments and havent been able to work for quite a while. When I was working it seemed to me there was little understanding of disability issues and needs and some people including managers were downright insensitive. Most places in advanced countries have human rights and-or disability rights laws but my sense was that disability issues are viewed as a burden by employers. And docs often arent really sensitive to these issues either and can get judgemental or not want to get involved. So for those who keep trying to work with disabilities I express my admiration. Its not an easy road to travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back