I'm exaushed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleJess

Banned
I'm physically freaking exhausted, I have stuff all energy and have been sleeping tons :wallbash:

I've got some caffeine pills coming in the mail that will hopefully help with this, but damn why am I so worn out all the time.

Binary said:
I'm physically freaking exhausted, I have stuff all energy and have been sleeping tons :wallbash:

I've got some caffeine pills coming in the mail that will hopefully help with this, but damn why am I so worn out all the time.

Please be careful with caffeine pills.
I have been using them myself for awhile, and I can tell you from personal experience, they can be risky!

Some risks to be aware of:

1. Taking them on an empty stomach first thing in the morning can cause various digestive problems. This is more likely to happen the longer you leave them in your system without eating.
  2. Using them to compensate for being sleep-deprived can be dangerous, as you end up taking more and more, until you start suffering other symptoms of sleep deprivation, like stomach upset and headaches.
  3. You will get withdrawal headaches/etc if you stop taking them. These symptoms usually go away within a day or two, but while they last, they can really stop you getting things done.
  4. They can cause many undesirable mental changes, like increased anxiety.
  5. They can make you pee more often, which can dehydrate you.
  6. Your body/mind will adapt to them over time - which can eventually result in them no longer working as well for you.
There are more risks, but you get the picture.

If you must take caffeine pills, I suggest something like this: https://www.nootropedia.com/a-beginners-nootropic-l-theanine-and-caffeine/

Pairing with theanine reduces some of the harmful effects. It is a large part of the reason why green tea is thought to be healthier than coffee.

Personally though, I must admit that caffeine never had quite as much effect on my energy levels as did another factor: diet.
I know this advice is old, and corny as hell, but I have found that what you eat determines a large part of how you feel. Not just whether you have energy, but how alert, and generally 'with it' you are.

I saw enormous improvements in my energy level when I stopped eating out, stopped using microwave meals, and started eating a better diet. A high-quality, science-based diet made me feel the difference within hours. It was also WAY cheaper than eating out, or microwaving things.

There could be other factors causing extreme tiredness, too. Thyroid problems, for example. Or simple lack of sleep. Just as bad as lack of sleep can be lack of *quality* sleep. For example, staring at anything blue or brightly lit (like a computer screen!) in the hour before bed reduces your sleep quality and can make you feel more tired in general.
Personally, I try to reserve at least an hour, before I want to sleep, for non-screen activities, like reading books. I also keep anything stressful away from this hour - I know I won't sleep as well if I think of stressful things before I try to sleep.

Identifying the root cause of your tiredness may take some time. You may have to try several things:
  • Diet (eat a healthy one)
  • Exercise (get enough of it)
  • Sleep habits (get enough *quality* sleep)
  • Screen for physical problems, like thyroid issues

If caffeine improves things for you, sure, you can use it.
That said, its probably healthier to look for, and fix, the root cause that's making you tired.
Caffeine can help, but it is a band-aid, not a permanent fix.

Most of the permanent fixes for things like this involve making a conscious effort to change your habits.
That can be hard. I know it took serious effort for me to change my diet, for example.
Having done it, though, I definitely found the effort to be worth it.

Hi Binary. I'm going to be that old curmudgeon and harp again about blood loss. I'm just checking on you. You're not losing blood are you, something you've talked about in the past. If you are, that would cause an extreme loss of energy. I'm just worried about you.

Be careful with caffeine. A healthy teenager died recently after having a coffee, energy drink and soft drink within a two-hour period.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39932366

You may want to cut back on caffeine if you experience side effects such as:

• Headache
  • Insomnia
  • Nervousness
  • Irritability
  • Restlessness
  • Stomach upset
  • Fast heartbeat
  • Muscle tremors

It wasn't just the caffine, but what and how he drank it all that killed him.

Slomo said:
It wasn't just the caffine, but what and how he drank it all that killed him.

The article says:

The 16-year-old died from a "caffeine-induced cardiac event causing a probable arrhythmia".
He had no pre-existing heart condition.

He only had three drinks. :-/

If you're gobbling caffeine pills regularly, it wouldn't be that hard to overdo it.

Only three....

That being said, I only take them in placement of a coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back