I need a tailor in Fort Worth...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Songnar

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
I got my new overalls with the snappier all the way up the inseam and I LOVE THEM but... the legs are too long. -_-

Short people problems.

Soooo, anyone know if it's even possible to hem snappy legs up?

If you're just wearing them for play, I'd say just roll up the cuffs. It's not unusual to buy long for kids to grow into. If that's not suitable for some reason, I'd search online with parameters like "cuffing jeans". Unless you're really all thumbs, this is not a hard thing to manage yourself.

I did give that a shot at first; the denim on these is too soft to stay cuffed and it's about 6 inches too long. Tough to walk around in without tripping - that was not a fun time at Walmart.

Makes me sad because they're sooooo comfy, even when I'm not in my little headspace.

Songnar said:
I did give that a shot at first; the denim on these is too soft to stay cuffed and it's about 6 inches too long. Tough to walk around in without tripping - that was not a fun time at Walmart.

Makes me sad because they're sooooo comfy, even when I'm not in my little headspace.

The easy method of cuffing (I haven't done it personally but my mom used to and I wouldn't fear trying it) is just to fold your cuffs up inside the pantleg and pin with straight pins to get a good length. This is harder to do alone but can be managed with a mirror or maybe just a measuring tape. Once the cuffs are pinned straight, sew 'em! This can be done by hand. If you've never sewn before, test with something first to get a sense of how to do a reasonably straight stitch but this isn't hard. Find a color of thread that is agreeable to see six inches up your pantleg.

The more advanced approach is to pull the stitches from the existing cuffs, find the point at which they drape properly, cut the cuffs and make a new, roughly 1/4" turned in cuff. If it was really important to me, I'd give that a shot myself but I'd tend to the easier approach. I'd probably work on a pair of old pants first since I have a lot around to get a handle on the process.

If you fear the above, just find a dry cleaner that does alterations or a shop specifically for that. I can see where you might think it would be embarrassing but it shouldn't be. It's a simple alteration and they shouldn't care beyond any practical concerns that your overalls have poppers in them. In that event, probably best to have the measurement made already that fits you well, so you don't have to get into measuring with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back