Bags for disposing of dirty diapers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyLink9

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
So I've been trying to figure out in the back of my head if I wanna try messing. So I need to get my disposal method figured out.

Currently I used a ziplock bag as a way of hiding oder for wet diapers that I have to hide because I don't have an opening for throwing them out. (Usually have to wait for the garabage can to be full enough to hide it under a trash bag.) Is that a good method for hiding Oder if I have to wait a day before I can throw it out? I typically put it in a old target store bag as well that I take out the rest of my trash with.

Is there anything else you think I should do? Or for sake of conversation how do you throw out yours?

I suggest a scented mini bag (usually blue) then getting a big scented trash bag to put those bags in, won't get much smell out of that combo.

Soggy nappy would be no problem but a day for a messy one? I would not..
There's diaper disposal systems for odor though. Diaper trash bins with a lid, and when you push down it catches the balled-up diaper into a plastic bag and closes it automatically. It goes under two layers of lids so the smell is minimal.
http://www.toysrus.com/products/diaper-pails.jsp
That is not very discreet, though and they cost money :'D but.. yeah. I think your best bet is to wrap it up in two trash bags, close them up with a tight knot and throw out as soon as possible.

I just but the baby nappy/ diaper sacks from my local asda/ Walmart and use those they will hold a well rolled nappy and a few wipes

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

hampshirebaby said:
I just but the baby nappy/ diaper sacks from my local asda/ Walmart and use those they will hold a well rolled nappy and a few wipes

Are they able to hold an adult diaper? I've thought about getting them but I feel like they aren't big enough for one.

I use Walmart shopping bags to dispose my dirty diapers. I usually put about 3 wet ones per bag, or a single messy diaper and wipes in a different bag, then tie it off to block out odors. Whenever I mess, I have to spray whatever room I changed in to eliminate the smell.

You do have to roll fairly tight but I find yes I did find some big ones on a incontinence site but can't remember witch

I use the baby diaper bags too, you can get them in any supermarket. If you roll an adult diaper tightly it fits comfortably.

You can get larger ones from incontinence supply websites too.

There is no way you can keep a messy diaper in a room even bagged, it needs to go out straight away.

Being incontinent due to an OAB I have a diaper pail in the bathroom, however any bowel soiled diapers are placed in a large ziplock bag then a plastic bag tied tightly, I never keep bowel soiled diapers in the apt very long they are normaly taken out to the garbage right away.
please rethink your plan to use and hide the diaper for a few days even sealed in a ziplock bag on a hot day you will eventualy smell the diaper.

When I can't dispose of it right away, I usually put them in a compost bag that neutralize the odours, and then put that bag in a small plastic container with a lid that closes tightly or have snaps. Whenever I can, I go outside, open the container then put the bag in a thicker one and take it to the trash.

A handy alternative I have mentioned before, that I use myself, is to put flushable liners (intended for cloth nappies) inside disposables to catch the mess. When you change you can simply lift the mess (or most of it) out and flush it away, leaving a wet but clean (or nearly clean) nappy to throw in the trash. Whether any mess leaks out into the nappy itself depends on how well the liners stay in position, the consistency and quantity of waste, whether you have sat in it etc. I use two of the largest, thickest liners in an overlapping V, creased to sit along the inner leakguards. If I am lucky, when untaping for a change, they stick to my bottom with the mess inside so that removing and disposing of the nappy itself is no different to a wet one. Then I can sit on the toilet and deal with the mess and initial wiping. Sometimes a little mess will get onto the leakguards or leg gathers, especially if I have sat in it or walked far, but not usually enough to make the nappy too smelly.

One caveat that all nappy liner instructions tend to give is that they can cause drain blockage if you have tree roots or any other snags in your drainline. At my house I can just drop the whole lot into the toilet and flush without any problems (unless it's a really big mess,) but in someone else's bathroom I tear the liners into a few strips if not too icky, to minimise the risk of them getting stuck.

BabyLink9 said:
So I've been trying to figure out in the back of my head if I wanna try messing. So I need to get my disposal method figured out.

Currently I used a ziplock bag as a way of hiding oder for wet diapers that I have to hide because I don't have an opening for throwing them out. (Usually have to wait for the garabage can to be full enough to hide it under a trash bag.) Is that a good method for hiding Oder if I have to wait a day before I can throw it out? I typically put it in a old target store bag as well that I take out the rest of my trash with.

Is there anything else you think I should do? Or for sake of conversation how do you throw out yours?

I don't think you should try messing because you will need to take a shower right afterwards and lots of cleaning up. But if you do wanna do it I would put a plastic bag in my bathroom, remove the soiled diaper and put it into the plastic bag. Hop into the shower. Clean yourself up really well. Put fresh diaper on. Get dressed and immediately throw the plastic bag containing the soiled diaper outside into the trash. How's that?:laugh:

I use kitchen can trashbags. They're big enough I can tie a knot in the bag which is a better smell block than using the drawstrings.

i purchase scented bin liners, 25 litre ones, you can get around 100 for about 2 pounds.. they are great, big enough to completely swallow the diaper ans still have enough room to twist seal them, (by this i mean spin the bottom of the bag, so that the top turns into a rope, then tie the rope) this works great, and the smell is hidden inside the bag.

Paxe said:
A handy alternative I have mentioned before, that I use myself, is to put flushable liners (intended for cloth nappies) inside disposables to catch the mess. When you change you can simply lift the mess (or most of it) out and flush it away, leaving a wet but clean (or nearly clean) nappy to throw in the trash. Whether any mess leaks out into the nappy itself depends on how well the liners stay in position, the consistency and quantity of waste, whether you have sat in it etc. I use two of the largest, thickest liners in an overlapping V, creased to sit along the inner leakguards. If I am lucky, when untaping for a change, they stick to my bottom with the mess inside so that removing and disposing of the nappy itself is no different to a wet one. Then I can sit on the toilet and deal with the mess and initial wiping. Sometimes a little mess will get onto the leakguards or leg gathers, especially if I have sat in it or walked far, but not usually enough to make the nappy too smelly.

One caveat that all nappy liner instructions tend to give is that they can cause drain blockage if you have tree roots or any other snags in your drainline. At my house I can just drop the whole lot into the toilet and flush without any problems (unless it's a really big mess,) but in someone else's bathroom I tear the liners into a few strips if not too icky, to minimise the risk of them getting stuck.

I'd have to recommend against this. Those flushable wipes are NOT easily flushed and will clog pipes.

Look at the manufacturers instuctions and videos as example. You have to swirl and mix the wipe in order to get it to break apart. Good luck doing that if it's mixed in with a bunch of poo. And what are you going to use to do it too, your hand. Or not.

Slomo said:
I'd have to recommend against this. Those flushable wipes are NOT easily flushed and will clog pipes.

Look at the manufacturers instuctions and videos as example. You have to swirl and mix the wipe in order to get it to break apart. Good luck doing that if it's mixed in with a bunch of poo. And what are you going to use to do it too, your hand. Or not.
Yep, that happened to us a couple years ago. My daughter had been flushing Clorox wipes and one morning our toilet had backed up and ruined the entire floor. We had Rotorooter come out to unclog the drain. Their auger pulled up some tree roots and Clorox wipes. But since there were tree roots, the guy was cool and listed that on our insurance claim rather than negligence on our part. But he did warn us about doing that in the future.

Well yes some care is needed, there are places where you mustn't flush liners or wipes e.g. macerator toilets, septics etc. But I only use proper flushable liners that do soften once they are submerged in cold water and disintegrate much more easily than the semi-re-usable kind that still claim to be flushable. Of course if you have roots then the drain is likely to clog completely one day whether you flush liners or not, but the liners might be the most recognisable thing caught on the roots and so get the blame. The main problem is that people still flush non-flushable products such as baby wipes that don't disperse or tear apart at all, which tangle into ropes at pumping stations etc.

In any case I was mainly trying to say, that there are ways and means of avoiding putting mess in the bin at all, and hence avoid the smell. Many parents throw their little ones' nappies in the bin without emptying the mess out even if it is possible, although sometimes it is too sticky to budge. Without liners, I always try to empty the bulk of the waste out of the nappy before rolling it up, to minimise the amount of poo lurking in peoples' bins and going into the household waste stream, but only if you get rid of pretty much all of it do you have a nappy that doesn't smell. When I'm wearing 24/7 I'm dealing with up to 15 messy nappies a week in many different locations so this is of some interest to me. If I do have to put something smelly in the bin, I use large strong ziplocs that have been tested to ensure they make an airtight seal. Abri-bags are suitable, although expensive, but some of my equipment comes in really good ziplocs so I save those. Once the nappy is in the bag I expel all the air, roll the bag tightly around the nappy and tape or wrap in another bag such as a supermarket carrier, so that the seal won't be disturbed or the bag punctured. Then I bag this and any other waste in a tiny black bin liner which hides it completely.

They make and sell "nappy sacks" on Amazon and places like Northshore and HDIS sell them as well. They are scented and opaque specifically made to hold an adult diaper for disposal.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I just put my diapers in one of those plastic bags a I get from grocery shopping and it double or triple bag it and throw it out in the outside trash can when the opportunity presents itself.

I don't do anything special for my used diapers cloth go into a bucket of water and peroxide , disposables into a tall kitchen trash bag at home , out and about I use grocery bags for disposal, I carry a whole bunch of them in my diaper bag.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back