Best diaper for incontinence, for long distance traveling

Status
Not open for further replies.

miapeters

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Hey, so I'm just curious to see what brands might be best for traveling.

So for example if I had a really long international flight, what would be the most absorbent diaper to be using. I'm currently using confidry 24/7 for daily use, so tell me if that should do, but I need a diaper which can also take a significant bowel accident,
Currently the confidry is really good at containing my bowel accidents so a similar performance is what I'm trying to go for.

Not that I'm be traveling soon but maybe in the near future, and I haven't flown much, only local flights but I love flying and a leak would just ruin the whole thing for me.
Yes I could add a booster to the confidry but I know at a certain point that becomes ineffective. (When I was in Florida I drank a lot of water and used a booster for the night and it didn't absorb properly, didn't really leak but wasn't that effective)

Confidry is going to be one of your best bets. You could also try betterdry/crinklz though. They hold a LOT more pee, and have taller standing leg leak guards.

Slomo said:
Confidry is going to be one of your best bets. You could also try betterdry/crinklz though. They hold a LOT more pee, and have taller standing leg leak guards.
Thought as much, these are by far the best I've used in terms of absorbancy, so far I haven't leaked during the night at all so I guess they are pretty much good enough. I don't have much of a track record in trying new brands, but if I do try betterdry I'll definitely give some feedback.

miapeters said:
Thought as much, these are by far the best I've used in terms of absorbancy, so far I haven't leaked during the night at all so I guess they are pretty much good enough. I don't have much of a track record in trying new brands, but if I do try betterdry I'll definitely give some feedback.

Thanks, I've found crinklz (the same as betterdry but with prints) to have a softer plastic but is just as strong. It's a quieter diaper too. They easily hold something 4 times as much as a confidry too. No kidding, and without leaking I can a full day in just one of their diapers (while staying well hydrated with like 2 liters of water in one day)

On the down side, this means they swell up huge. Like also 4 times as much as a confidry. The added weight from all that means they will sag pretty bad too. So something to help keep it in place is a must. And of course, going one full day in the same diaper is kind of unhygenic and is going to make you smell bad so probably not worth trying to take them to their max.

Slomo said:
Thanks, I've found crinklz (the same as betterdry but with prints) to have a softer plastic but is just as strong. It's a quieter diaper too. They easily hold something 4 times as much as a confidry too. No kidding, and without leaking I can a full day in just one of their diapers (while staying well hydrated with like 2 liters of water in one day)

On the down side, this means they swell up huge. Like also 4 times as much as a confidry. The added weight from all that means they will sag pretty bad too. So something to help keep it in place is a must. And of course, going one full day in the same diaper is kind of unhygenic and is going to make you smell bad so probably not worth trying to take them to their max.

There's no way I'm going to stay the whole day in a diaper, the point is to keep myself hygenic and smelling as good as i do,
I'm definitely going to have to change for a bowel accident,
If it swells up too much it's going to make things a little difficult to change by myself.

miapeters said:
There's no way I'm going to stay the whole day in a diaper, the point is to keep myself hygenic and smelling as good as i do,
I'm definitely going to have to change for a bowel accident,
If it swells up too much it's going to make things a little difficult to change by myself.

Exactly, that's why I pointed out its down sides. I only went one full day once as a test to just see how long it would last. Normally, trying to go to that extreme is well, too extreme for me. And I'm only urinary incontinent.

I do still use them though, maybe for like 12 hours overnight and sleeping in. For even just 6 hours they work exceptionally better than confidry does (such as with my side sleeping, or when traveling and may not be abke to change when oreferred).

There does need to be a limit there though, realistically these are just too much diaper for everyday use. Which is why I originally said confidry is probably your best bet. (Which is my go-to diaper as well).

24/7 probably are the best I know

Slomo said:

I second Confidry 24/7, excellent absorbency and tall standing leak guards. Is there any way to purchase Betterdry in the US yet? International shipping makes the price ridiculous.

By far the best that I've found for travel is NorthShore Supreme. They have the best absorption of any disposable product in a seated position. I have yet to find another product that manages to utilize padding while seated like they do. They have great capacity, are very durable, a bit thinner than most premiums, excellent leak barriers.

I find that, regardless of capacity of the product that I use, I can usually only go so far in my travels before a change is necessary. That comes from being seated. When seated I have found that almost everything gets "trapped" at the front of the diaper. The front usually has much less padding than the rear. When the front becomes saturated leaks occur from the top of the diaper, or running around the waist. NorthShore Supremes do an excellent job of wicking moisture to the rear of the diaper, spreading evenly front to back. This increases the usable area, and increases effective absorbency while seated; which reduces risks of leaks while seated and increases time between changes.

I can go for a few hours before needing to change a NorthShore, without modifying my drink intake. To do the same in an Abena or ABU Simple, I'd probably cut out drinks entirely. I like having drinks to sip on when I'm driving long distances and long time. With the NorthShores I can happily have a large drink with ice without worry!

Airline seats are pretty hard, and can really cut down on a products capacity while seated. I've flown while using products that have ridiculous capacity and have been startled by sudden failures as they've leaked FAR below their usual capacity. NorthShores on the other hand always just seem to work. Now, as far as bowel containment I don't have nearly the experience as others. It's not something that I normally have to worry about, for me it's an issue only once in a blue moon. But the few times it's been an issue their products have done well for me.

At that point capacity is not an issue, containment is. I'm assuming that if something happens you'll be changing right away? An accident like that is pretty noticeable in an enclosed space like an airplane if not dealt with quickly. Is absorbency as important to you as containment? If not, there are other products that offer excellent containment while not necessarily being the most absorbent. These options are generally cheaper, and in some cases easier to change than full blown premiums.

INTrePid said:
I second Confidry 24/7, excellent absorbency and tall standing leak guards. Is there any way to purchase Betterdry in the US yet? International shipping makes the price ridiculous.
Better Dry lists this company as a US based store on their own website.
https://www.comfycare.net
I've ordered from them before came in a plain white box iirc. And their price on just plain white Better Dry is pretty tough to beat.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Llayden said:
By far the best that I've found for travel is NorthShore Supreme. They have the best absorption of any disposable product in a seated position. I have yet to find another product that manages to utilize padding while seated like they do. They have great capacity, are very durable, a bit thinner than most premiums, excellent leak barriers.

I find that, regardless of capacity of the product that I use, I can usually only go so far in my travels before a change is necessary. That comes from being seated. When seated I have found that almost everything gets "trapped" at the front of the diaper. The front usually has much less padding than the rear. When the front becomes saturated leaks occur from the top of the diaper, or running around the waist. NorthShore Supremes do an excellent job of wicking moisture to the rear of the diaper, spreading evenly front to back. This increases the usable area, and increases effective absorbency while seated; which reduces risks of leaks while seated and increases time between changes.

I can go for a few hours before needing to change a NorthShore, without modifying my drink intake. To do the same in an Abena or ABU Simple, I'd probably cut out drinks entirely. I like having drinks to sip on when I'm driving long distances and long time. With the NorthShores I can happily have a large drink with ice without worry!

Airline seats are pretty hard, and can really cut down on a products capacity while seated. I've flown while using products that have ridiculous capacity and have been startled by sudden failures as they've leaked FAR below their usual capacity. NorthShores on the other hand always just seem to work. Now, as far as bowel containment I don't have nearly the experience as others. It's not something that I normally have to worry about, for me it's an issue only once in a blue moon. But the few times it's been an issue their products have done well for me.

At that point capacity is not an issue, containment is. I'm assuming that if something happens you'll be changing right away? An accident like that is pretty noticeable in an enclosed space like an airplane if not dealt with quickly. Is absorbency as important to you as containment? If not, there are other products that offer excellent containment while not necessarily being the most absorbent. These options are generally cheaper, and in some cases easier to change than full blown premiums.

Hopefully there will be flights with handicap or wheelchair accessible toilets to change. I will definitely change as soon as possible if I have a bowel accident, staying in it is just so unhygienic, that being said there were instances where I didn't have a place to change for a considerably long time which is terrible. I usually can't tell when I'm dribbling #1, but the confidry manages okay, when I was at college i was mostly seated at class or in the library and the abena (m4 which I wore at that time) did pretty well, I never had any leaks. Problem with abena was I'd have leaks sometimes in the night which is why I used a booster, but that also didn't always work because I sleep on my back, so confidry did a better job there.

I'll try out northshore supream when I can,

You have an excellent point about when seated, but for me since my stumps are small and not wide most of the time the confidry manages,

I have pretty bad bowel accidents so I cannot even thinking of doing a long flight since frequency is a problem too. So a plane which has a handicap bathroom would be perfect, I guess I'll have to talk to the airline and find out right?

On long rides I use the 24/7 and a northshore booster add plastic pant and Im my way.

allen said:
On long rides I use the 24/7 and a northshore booster add plastic pant and Im my way.
I usually don't need a booster since my bowel accidents are so frequently I change before i leak or anything. It's just sometimes when I have a big bowel accident it fills the diaper so much.....I feel like I need a solution for this. But actually the diaper can hold up to it, it's just uncomfortable for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back