• Note: ADISC does NOT allow personal ads. This includes "looking for ____" or "anyone in ____" type introduction posts. To write a good introduction, focus on explaining who you are, NOT what you are looking for. The goal should be to help other people get to know you a bit.

Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMVanGrif

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
Hey!

I'm relatively new to this and a friend of mine referred me to the site. I'm currently a student studying for a Bachelor's in Computer Science and trying to figure out exactly where I want to go with it after that, it's a broad field but I'm currently leaning towards algorithmic finance. I guess I would classify myself as DL, I'm not really into regression. Outside of school I'm really into gaming, both video games and table-top. Gaming is actually where the DM in my username comes from, I play Dungeons and Dragons three times a week in separate campaigns, of which I am the Dungeon Master for one. D&D is just a really cool way to spend time, it's like improv mixed with action.

Since I'm pretty new to all of this I'm just looking for a place for information so I don't have to bother my one ABDL friend all the time.

Hello DMVanGrif and welcome to the group.

Welcome to Adisc, computer science is a lot of fun, I am one year away from finishing my Bachelors in computer science. Do you have a favorite programming language you like to work in? I'm kind of most comfortable in c++ just because there is a lot of control you get to have.

What kind of information have you been looking for about AB/DL life? Or nothing really has come up lately?

Tyger said:
Welcome to Adisc, computer science is a lot of fun, I am one year away from finishing my Bachelors in computer science. Do you have a favorite programming language you like to work in? I'm kind of most comfortable in c++ just because there is a lot of control you get to have.

I actually prefer C to C++. I'm not too much of a fan of multiple inheritance. Lately though, I love programming in Python. It's really good for RAD and prototyping.

Tyger said:
What kind of information have you been looking for about AB/DL life? Or nothing really has come up lately?

I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for at the moment, but I figured I'd sign up here so that I have more available resources and support.

DMVanGrif said:
I actually prefer C to C++. I'm not too much of a fan of multiple inheritance. Lately though, I love programming in Python. It's really good for RAD and prototyping.

I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for at the moment, but I figured I'd sign up here so that I have more available resources and support.

Yeah, I haven't dove into c really, but I kinda think multiple inheritance is cool, I guess I like to try and use it for gaming development, so that is kinda why.

C++ was originally called "C with classes". Basically all the features of C are available in C++. C++ also added some improvements to C, such as passing by reference, strings, and bound-checked arrays. The reason the other languages based on C, such as Java and C#, do not support multiple inheritance and use interfaces instead. is that there are potential pitfalls with variables or methods being inherited from both parents and the system not using the correct one. Most programming that does not require real-time performance is moving to the garbage-collected languages, such as Java and C#. Pointer variables and the lack of bounds checking makes C and C++ very dangerous. Having been in this business for 50 years and having learned C at Bell Labs, and currently teaching C++, C# and Java, I recommend that you look at the managed languages (C# and Java) unless you need the closer to assembly performance or the pointers in C and C++.

howiebabe said:
I recommend that you look at the managed languages (C# and Java) unless you need the closer to assembly performance or the pointers in C and C++.

This is my sentiments exactly it turns out. Java and C# were the first languages that I learned and I still enjoy using them. I do however do a lot of low level programming in my coursework, like kernel development, and enjoying C helps with that. That all being said Python is a beautiful language for RAD, it's just so quick to get your functionality in place and I find it easier to transfer code between languages than to build fresh from requirements and design docs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back