Refastenable diaper or pull-up for long car rides?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRainbowPrincess

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
Hey all!

I have just been informed we are taking a family trip at the end of august. This will involve a 6 hour car ride and staying overnight in a hotel. I have urge and overnight urinary incontinence. If I'm stuck in the car for 6 or possibly more hours depending on traffic, I want to be safe, but I still want to be able to take my diaper off at rest stops and refasten/put it back on if necessary

Does anyone have any suggestions for me as to a good brand?

Thanks in advance!

Long ride just use an overnight diaper. Or a day one and change at rest stops.

Thanks for the advice incontal. I was thinking maybe my typical daytime wings or cvs brand overnight fitted with a good booster pad or stuffer?

pgfdp said:
Thanks for the advice incontal. I was thinking maybe my typical daytime wings or cvs brand overnight fitted with a good booster pad or stuffer?
A good stuffer helps alot, if you plan to take them off alot, you may want to go with a prevail generic (cvs brand for example) with said as a stuffer.

the last long trip I made with my step dad and just used depends, by the time I was wet and needed to change my dad had to stop anyway, I usually find that is the diaper I am in that has an elastic waist band I can slide the diaper down like I would with underwear with out needing to touch the tapes or just use a urinal like one would with just underwear on, with out taking anything off

You say you have urge incontinence, which is one of the most uncontrollable forms with the most potential output. I think you should research what type you really have to make a better decision.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I feel like a diaper is preferable over a pull up because in my experience, Pull ups like to leak around the leg gaurds especially when sitting down.

- - - Updated - - -

DracoAmericanus said:
the last long trip I made with my step dad and just used depends, by the time I was wet and needed to change my dad had to stop anyway, I usually find that is the diaper I am in that has an elastic waist band I can slide the diaper down like I would with underwear with out needing to touch the tapes or just use a urinal like one would with just underwear on, with out taking anything off

Very good point! Using a pull up style is very nice when you need to use a toilet instead.

pgfdp said:
I have just been informed we are taking a family trip at the end of august. This will involve a 6 hour car ride and staying overnight in a hotel. I have urge and overnight urinary incontinence. If I'm stuck in the car for 6 or possibly more hours depending on traffic, I want to be safe, but I still want to be able to take my diaper off at rest stops and refasten/put it back on if necessary

Disposable diapers are usually pretty easy to slide down and back up again. Adding a squeeze of talc down the sides of the hips under your diaper after taping up can help too. You don't usually have to untape. I never do. (maybe if you have really wide hips)

In most cases I actually pretape my diapers for a perfect and consistent fit every time, and pull them up.

I do indeed have urge incontinence/overactive bladder, but usually am never more than 100 feet from a bathroom as I never really leave home, so I only wear a light diaper "just in case" and go to the toilet dozens of times a day lol. You do have a good point about output. I never really thought about sliding the regular diaper up and down. I usually tape it closer to my body because I have seizures during the night and roll around. I might be able to wear something premium and slide it up and down. I appreciate the advice!

Pullups are not enough for urge incontinence. Neither are cheap diapers like wings or anything else you can get in stores. Add in 6+ hours of wear, and you can forget it for even mid-grade diapers.

You will need a good, premium tape on diaper for this. I'd decommend confidry or northshore supreme.

"Overnight" brief with a booster in it is best for car rides. The sitting position inhibits wicking capabilities of diapers so you'll want as much absorbency as you can.

I appreciate the advice! I have both confidry and north shore supreme on hand. But what boosters are best?

Also on long car rides I'll usually wear one of my pairs of cotton bloomers under my pair of pants/skirt/dress so they can absorb in the event of a minor leak from the leg gathers which can happen sometimes when sitting in a thing that also bounces. Pretty standard bloomers like you'd see at a ren fair or steampunk cosplayers kind of thing. They have enough that they can prevent a couple drops of water from getting to the outer layer of clothing. A major leak may still cause you issues though of course.

If you're at risk of fecal incontinence I'd recommend either wearing or having nearby plastic pants depending on how your fecal incontinence works if that's a thing with you.For me I'll get stomach rumbles for a bit before an actual accident that I can't hold, but if you don't have that kind of forewarning you'd want to wear that the whole time. Diapers aren't the best at holding feces in sitting positions.

"
ClickyKeys said:
Also on long car rides I'll usually wear one of my pairs of cotton bloomers under my pair of pants/skirt/dress so they can absorb in the event of a minor leak from the leg gathers which can happen sometimes when sitting in a thing that also bounces. Pretty standard bloomers like you'd see at a ren fair or steampunk cosplayers kind of thing. They have enough that they can prevent a couple drops of water from getting to the outer layer of clothing. A major leak may still cause you issues though of course."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

For years, I've used waterproof bloomers just for this purpuse. I have them in rubber, vinyl and euroflex material. They are best for keeping compression leaks (wicking) from showing up at the leg bands and onto outer clothing or car seats.

Even for longer motorcycle road trips, I've used the bloomers over heavy padding + diaper to guarantee no leaks, even on the roughest roads with lots of bouncing.

pgfdp said:
I appreciate the advice! I have both confidry and north shore supreme on hand. But what boosters are best?

Baby diapers. Pampers, Luvs, or Huggies, size 1 or 2. They hold more than most any adult booster, absorb quicker, and best of all are way cheaper. You can easily tear off the tabs too, to make them more comfortable and not cut into any skin.

pgfdp said:
I do indeed have urge incontinence/overactive bladder, but usually am never more than 100 feet from a bathroom as I never really leave home, so I only wear a light diaper "just in case" and go to the toilet dozens of times a day lol.

I think at that point I would just give up on the potty for #1 if I was being interrupted that often.

And not that I'd want to be wearing a dress, but I can't ignore the added convenience of a dress over a diaper. And having it "exposed" without anyone being able to see it would be a bit fun too I think. I don't mind discretely lifting up the corner of my shorts sometimes when I'm in public, sneaking a peek at that white crinkly secret between my legs. Clearly that would be easier with a dress ;)

Last edited:
Does anyone have any advice for me on how to properly double diaper? I tried it today and I ended up with Sap crystals all over myself and my bed. OOPS! I guess I haven't figured that part out yet lol

Bambinod, I do often wear a dress or skirt just to make it easier. I wish I could give up the potty, but it's not that easy lol I don't qualify for disability here in the US and diapers are too expensive to keep going through several a day on my own dime :(

pgfdp said:
Does anyone have any advice for me on how to properly double diaper? I tried it today and I ended up with Sap crystals all over myself and my bed. OOPS!(

My guess is that when you cut into the backing of the inner diaper, the cuts were too long/wide. Basically you want many small holes in the inner diaper. I've done this with a pair of scissors and just poked a number of small holes. I never had a problem with the SAP crystals.

You could use (I do) a diaper inside of a diaper. Maybe stack one or two more. However bulky you'd be comfortable with. The factors of comfort are physical which is really comfy but if you have some embarrassment factor, like people who would be upset by what they might think is infantile, and are loud and rude about it,.. at that point you choose how obvious it is to be wearing a diaper. The easy part is wet the innermost one, take it out and dispose, the other is already in place. Pull ups, if you're wearing trousers you have to get half undressed to put on a new one. As to brand names molicare is still the standard. I don't know the threshold of when it will be full enough to leak. Just that I never got that wet. Which, usually, I get really soaked. they even have a pull-up with a name like Mobi-Molie

- - - Updated - - - as to how many holes and where to make a double diaper..

I had the experience with no coaching, get as many holes in the plastic, but make them small. Just from experience. And most at the point the pee leaves your body.

- - - Updated - - -

bambinod said:
I think at that point I would just give up on the potty for #1 if I was being interrupted that often.

And not that I'd want to be wearing a dress, but I can't ignore the added convenience of a dress over a diaper. And having it "exposed" without anyone being able to see it would be a bit fun too I think. I don't mind discretely lifting up the corner of my shorts sometimes when I'm in public, sneaking a peek at that white crinkly secret between my legs. Clearly that would be easier with a dress ;)

That's fun, for AB DL at least. It's still a little taboo to wear a dress if you're born with boy parts. Especially in Texas.

This is all good information. I have a 5 hour car ride coming up in August and an 8 hour plane ride in October.
.we all know how hard getting to let alone using the bathrooms on an airplane is. I believe I have 1 Isle seat for both flights and all the rest are window sests.

My plan it to go change my diaper just before the flight and hopefully it'll be able to take 8 hours of flight and flow. Now the car ride, I'll have more opportunities to stop and change if needed, I'm only going 5 hours so I think it'll be okay.

But for the plane I'm going to be using northshore air supreme max absorbency and for the car ride probably something a little less dramatic probably something like a bambino or maybe I'll get some lavender from ABU. I've got time to figure out all of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back