Not open for further replies.

WildBlueCrinkle

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Incontinent
If you've used the old Abri-Let Maxi (I've heard they "improved" it with a thin SAP-based replacement), you know what I'm looking for. Long (22" IIRC), wide (4"?), and thick (about 3/4" of fluff)... it was like boosting your diaper with a mattress. Great bulk. Great wicking action. Made the old X-Plus a 12 hour diaper.

Is there anything on the market nowadays that's comparable?

I prefer the Lille Classic pads. I think they're 60 x 15 cm. They're thinner, but if you use two you'd have the same bulk as the old Abri-Lets.

Rearz's boosters are crazy thick.

Got an e-mail just a bit ago that apparently ABU is releasing some boosters.

bambinod said:
looks exactly like a quadro booster from bambinodiapers

https://bambinodiapers.com/quadro-booster-pads-c-6

I've used the Quadro and the NorthShore, they're not soft and thick like I'm looking for - and the ABU announcement also mentioned their thinness. The old Abri-Let Maxi was like "wearing a cloud." I'll look at the Rearz and Lille, thanks! (Hoping they're available, cost-effectively, in the U.S.)

Has the absorbency gone down that much since the change? How much do you really need?

It's not the absorbency as much as it is the wicking and the bulk (for whatever reason, the old style "felt" trustworthy, the new does not - and I've had leaks with the new :( the SAP doesn't distribute as well as the old fluffy one did).

rennecfox said:
Has the absorbency gone down that much since the change? How much do you really need?

They were awesome at distributing wetness and the bulk when they were dry gave a much greater sense of security.
It's not entirely the ability to absorb that I was interested in, but their ability to wick really well and the amazing dry bulk that made any diaper feel so much cushier.

This!

WildBlueCrinkle said:
It's not the absorbency as much as it is the wicking and the bulk (for whatever reason, the old style "felt" trustworthy, the new does not - and I've had leaks with the new :( the SAP doesn't distribute as well as the old fluffy one did).

No offense, but thats not exactly what a company trying to cater to incontinent folk cares about, you should be looking at the options others have mentioned. I mean if it isn't as absorbent thats one thing, so yeah I'd look at the ABUs... personally I never liked it had nothing to hold it in place

rennecfox said:
No offense, but thats not exactly what a company trying to cater to incontinent folk cares about, you should be looking at the options others have mentioned. I mean if it isn't as absorbent thats one thing, so yeah I'd look at the ABUs... personally I never liked it had nothing to hold it in place

(1) Where did I say it was, or should be? I'm not faulting Abena for changing it, though I wish they hadn't. I'm asking what folks have found to be a similar replacement.

(2) There are advantages to that style; sense of security is one, wicking and distribution are another.

(3) The ABUs don't fit the bill, as already discussed,

(4) For the purpose of this discussion ("what's a good, similar, alternative to the Abri-Let Maxi?"), how is whether or not you liked the Abena product relevant?

I'm pointing out in my experience, it didn't work well for me in the past as it would often not fit most briefs (leaked out the edges, take it with a grain of salt, I found the rearz I used to work better. I liked that it had a sticky tab that held it in place, that said it was thinner, this all opinion based so opinions are relevant as people will be basing their experience based on what they have used.

As far as exact similar goes, I don't know of anything that looks remotely like them anymore. Northshore and Tranquility have some thick boosters, but the abena ones have gone the ways of Supers and extras and those wrap briefs they used to have

rennecfox said:
I'm pointing out in my experience, it didn't work well for me in the past as it would often not fit most briefs (leaked out the edges, take it with a grain of salt, I found the rearz I used to work better. I liked that it had a sticky tab that held it in place, that said it was thinner, this all opinion based so opinions are relevant as people will be basing their experience based on what they have used.

As far as exact similar goes, I don't know of anything that looks remotely like them anymore. Northshore and Tranquility have some thick boosters, but the abena ones have gone the ways of Supers and extras and those wrap briefs they used to have

The problem he likely had was when you started off with "No offense..." and then continued with "you should". That sounds less like stating your opinion than making a value judgment about another person's choices--even though you had a good point about the manufacturer's perspective. The original product was likely discontinued because of packaging and shipping. They might not have been popular enough except by those of us looking for that "mattress" feel (love that description, BTW).

I have also been searching for a replacement for the Abri-let boosters. The new ones are thinner, about an inch or so shorter, and just don't fill out the same way. I like that the old version had the length and fluff. Something you don't get with the compacted, sap-based boosters now. Though, I do kinda want to try the ABU boosters out just to see how much they would swell.

Iron said:
The problem he likely had was when you started off with "No offense..." and then continued with "you should". That sounds less like stating your opinion than making a value judgment about another person's choices--even though you had a good point about the manufacturer's perspective.

Fair enough point

You may try boosters from xpmedical. They wick well. Not as fluffy, but still plenty of pulp.

Ugh... Seems like Abena is going the way of everyone else, slowly but surely. At least the Abri Let Maxi are still 60 inches long. To my knowledge, they are the only one that is that long. The only thing that they have left that I like are the plastic backed diapers, and they have tried to discontinue those once already. Luckily Gary from XP as well as a lot of users stepped in and protested, and they relented. Thankfully we have had ABDL companies spring up to sell us good plastic backed products. Otherwise, there wouldn't be much left in plastic.

The next step for us is to have an ABDL company or a highly aware and accepting medical company start a manufacturing plant to produce diapers. I think only then that we will get a product that is truly designed for us, and wont be discontinued on the whim of a manufacturer. I'd do it myself if I won the big lottery jackpot, but I don't even play :wallbash:

thickdiapers said:
The next step for us is to have an ABDL company or a highly aware and accepting medical company start a manufacturing plant to produce diapers. I think only then that we will get a product that is truly designed for us, and wont be discontinued on the whim of a manufacturer. I'd do it myself if I won the big lottery jackpot, but I don't even play :wallbash:

Diaper machines are expensive, as they basically mint money. You feed in raw materials, and they spit out sellable product. There are a few outfits in china etc that have machines that are clearly exclusively round-robin'ing ABDL diapers for the various retailers. I don't think we can expect better than that. Considering how many pieces these machines can make per day, no one (or TWO) retailers in our community has to the customer demand to keep a single machine running 24/7, which is what you need to do to get the machine to pay for itself. Every hour that machine sits idle costs serious money, so they always try to minimize downtime.

Hi,

I use Mamma maternity pads from Bella in Poland and remove the plastic backing.

Kwjetka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back