Not open for further replies.

WildBlueCrinkle

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Incontinent
I don't own a single pair of boxers without "skid marks," but my 'accidents' have generally few and far between, and are usually minor. Two days ago, I had a minor accident, and then yesterday a more significant one, both times in 'regular' underwear. (I was in court both days, yada yada.) I've long had an affinity for diapers, so when I got home I taped on an Abena L4 last night. Watching The Orville, I had another urge, and before I could even get up, soiled the Abena substantially. :( Hopped in the shower and spent the night in a BetterDry.

Today at work, under my jeans and boxers, I'm wearing a Wellness Superio (their "Large" fits properly but lower, and it's thinner, more discreet), just in case.

I don't want this to be "me." As much as I enjoy occasionally wearing diapers, I don't want to have to wear them. And my need is sporadic, meaning if I'm wearing decent diapers, a lot of them will be wasted. But when they're needed, they're needed (lest I have to replace upholstery, etc). Meh. Not sure what to do, or how to handle this.

That's similar to my problem with infrequent but significant urinary accidents. I've gone back and forth on whether to wear diapers, and which ones to wear.

Ultimately, it comes down to this: You need to prepare for what might happen. If you might have an accident, you need to wear a diaper. It's kind of like wearing a seat belt when you drive; most of the time it's a pointless nuisance, but if you need it you'll be glad you have it, so you wear it all the time. It's not wasted, it just wasn't needed that particular time.

How often accidents have to happen for it to be worth wearing a diaper all the time is still something I debate. If accidents are weekly, you definitely need to wear a diaper. If they're monthly, probably. Every three months? Every six months? Once a year? I don't know about those, and it probably depends completely on your own situation.

I've had folks suggest cloth diapers to me, which I'll look into at some point, but I'm not sure that's a great option for your bowel incontinence. Wrapping up a soiled cloth diaper to take home and wash is harder when it's more than just wet.

Have you thought about a pullup? I mean, if the accidents are small and far between then unless an accident occurs, a pullup can be used pretty much all day.

ltaluv said:
Ultimately, it comes down to this: You need to prepare for what might happen. If you might have an accident, you need to wear a diaper. It's kind of like wearing a seat belt when you drive; most of the time it's a pointless nuisance, but if you need it you'll be glad you have it, so you wear it all the time. It's not wasted, it just wasn't needed that particular time.

That’s a really good way of looking at it, thanks! (Except that my generation grew up with seatbelts as an “of course,” de facto kinda thing, and diapers are heavily stigmatized... :/ )

- - - Updated - - -

Scaramouche said:
Have you thought about a pullup? I mean, if the accidents are small and far between then unless an accident occurs, a pullup can be used pretty much all day.

I’ve thought about them. I’ve tried them. They’re really hard to change if messy (take off shoes and pants...) and I’ve never found one I would really trust in a “significant” messy situation. If you have suggestions, I’m all ears...

- - - Updated - - -

(And as it turns out, today I was glad I was wearing protection. I didn’t have anything remotely spicy or anything - bowl of Cheerios for breakfast, no caffeine, can of vegetable soup for lunch, but nevertheless... :( )

Northshore supreme is supposed to be the best pullups out there, nkt sure it would be enough for messy accidents though. One up from that would be tranquility atn, which is a thin diaper that still works half ok. It may be worth giving thrm both a try, though nit sure how either of them would suit your needs.

In much the same situation. My accidents are not frequent, but they range from annoying underwear stain, to mess, to ruin-the-furniture disaster if I'm not diapered, and I have no way of telling which it could be, or when. Can't trust an impulse to pass wind, but never letting it happen gets a bit painful, have small leaks all the time leaving stains, and have the sudden urges where sometimes I don't make it to the bathroom, or just getting up to try puts enough pressure that I lose it.

Been trying different brands. Think I might settle on northshore supreme lite tabbed briefs backed by garywear pul pants for out and about, and all-in-one cloth washables at home/in bed, also backed by the gary wear. Seems to be about the best combination of effectiveness and cost I can find.

I just out and told family and friends I see often about the problem, no one's bothered and appreciate that it's their furniture too I might be protecting. So the whole embarrassment thing just mostly went away. Although having an accident at someone's house and having to borrow their bathroom to change might be a bit awkward. Hasn't happened yet. I'm guessing a light comment or two from someone would be enough to ease all that. As for what strangers may think, well, they're not obvious, and I can't imagine anyone making a big deal of such a thing in public in any case.

Maybe it's just I have good friends and family, but honestly...it just isn't that big a deal to people. Only to us not used to wearing diapers and/or having people know about it, and only until we get that fact through our heads and accept that yeah...I have a problem and diapers are part of the solution.

Try pads, better than pull ups, and more absorbent, and easier to change, I used both in the beginning when my bladder began acting up. Now I'm in tape diapers 24/7 and don't care anymore,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NotTheAverageMan said:
Try pads, better than pull ups, and more absorbent, and easier to change, I used both in the beginning when my bladder began acting up. Now I'm in tape diapers 24/7 and don't care anymore,

Pads are better than pulkups? Huh? You know pads have mush less material and absorbency to them than even pullups right? And even then pulluls are not designed to contain bowel messes much at all, and will smell pretty bad (if not also leak) when it happens too.

Slomo said:
Pads are better than pulkups? Huh? You know pads have mush less material and absorbency to them than even pullups right? And even then pulluls are not designed to contain bowel messes much at all, and will smell pretty bad (if not also leak) when it happens too.

Doing some research, Abena (at least) does have a 'pad' that's supposedly designed for bowel IC (not sure how much stock I'd place in that), the Abri-San Special.

So I was traveling yesterday and Monday. Yesterday was uneventful, possibly because I wore a diaper. :( Monday was ... Almost a disaster. And expensive. Flew on a jet from L.A. to Phoenix. Had a light breakfast at the terminal. Went to the bathroom before and after breakfast. The flight was about an hour. We had a fierce tailwind and got in early, and sat on the ramp waiting for our gate to be free. No one could get up, because we were still technically taxiing.

By the time we could get off the plane, I really had to go. Raced to the nearest bathroom. Made it in time (barely) but was in such a hurry, my brand new iPhone X slipped out of my pocket, landed on the screen (from about 2-3'), and now I'm $279 poorer. :(

At least I was fully evacuated when I climbed into another plane (as a pilot this time, with another pilot I don't know well) for a hop up to Idaho. (The other pilot is the current owner of a plane my boss and I are looking at buying for the firm. This was a "getting to know the plane" flight. I should have been padded the whole time, but was leery about doing so while sharing a tight cockpit with a person I barely know. Stupid...)

Slomo said:
Northshore supreme is supposed to be the best pullups out there, nkt sure it would be enough for messy accidents though. One up from that would be tranquility atn, which is a thin diaper that still works half ok. It may be worth giving thrm both a try, though nit sure how either of them would suit your needs.

You may even want to try a tranquility slim line. Very similar to the ATN just slightly thinner. I assume one does not need as much sap for bowel issues?

DLPJ said:
You may even want to try a tranquility slim line. Very similar to the ATN just slightly thinner. I assume one does not need as much sap for bowel issues?

I'm quite familiar with tranquility atn. This diaper is NOT anywhere near good enough for full blown urinary incontinence. Let alone bowel incontinence, and let alone anything thinner.

Yeah, I'm trying to avoid a taped-on diaper if I can help it. If they're snug enough for me to feel confident and protected, they're too snug to use the toilet for the 95% of the time I don't need the protection. (Refastenable tapes have never been confidence-inspiring for me.) OTOH a pullup would be a nightmare to change 1% of the time ... But maybe that's not the end of the world. Meh.

As I mentioned earlier, I think you and I are in much the same boat, so I'll say...if you have a substantial accident, no pullup is going to get the job done. They're fine for minor stuff. Otherwise, you need the extra coverage and good standing leak guards. As well, something like the garywear covers gives alot of peace of mind as a backup and to help keep things in place. I've found I can fit a tape on so it's tight enough to not leak and stay up, but can still be slid down and back up without too much trouble.

This has all been "battle tested", so to speak. In any case, for changing out of a substantial mess, I've found it's just a better idea to take everything off and place it out of harm's way. I honestly don't know how you'd do it still clothed sitting on a toilet and not get stuff all over everything. So the handicap stall or an actual lockable bathroom is a must.

WildBlueCrinkle said:
Yeah, I'm trying to avoid a taped-on diaper if I can help it. If they're snug enough for me to feel confident and protected, they're too snug to use the toilet for the 95% of the time I don't need the protection. (Refastenable tapes have never been confidence-inspiring for me.) OTOH a pullup would be a nightmare to change 1% of the time ... But maybe that's not the end of the world. Meh.

You know, most diapers can be easily pulled up and down even without undoing the tapes. Just get a good diaper that has an elastic waist band, and tape the legs on snug but not tight.

To pull a diaper down, pull down the front of the diaper a couple of inches. Bend over at the waist just a little, then you will be able to pull the back of the diaper down most of the way. Stand up straight again, and you be able to slide the diaper off all the way.

Putting it back on is just reverse of that.

I agree with Slomo. It's doable even without an elastic waist, but much easier with.

If you're concerned about not having the legs tight enough to not leak, you might consider easing up on the lower tapes and wearing plastic pants over the diaper instead.

Slomo said:
Just get a good diaper that has an elastic waist band, and tape the legs on snug but not tight.

To

What good ones have you found with elastic waistbands? The ones I've seen, the elastic is so weak as to only result in a loose fit.

mrlibrary said:
What good ones have you found with elastic waistbands? The ones I've seen, the elastic is so weak as to only result in a loose fit.

For limited or very little use, Tranquility ATN, or Abena xplus are pretty good options for their price.

For full use, Confidry24/7, Northshore Supreme, and Betterdry are the best bets.

Slomo said:
For limited or very little use, Tranquility ATN, or Abena xplus are pretty good options for their price.

For full use, Confidry24/7, Northshore Supreme, and Betterdry are the best bets.

I've tried all of those, and have never found a fit that facilitates pulling down then back up. :/

WildBlueCrinkle said:
I've tried all of those, and have never found a fit that facilitates pulling down then back up. :/

You might be the exception to the rule then. A lot of women, and even some men, who have very large hips but a small waist will not be able to just pull a diaper down like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back