Not open for further replies.

WildBlueCrinkle

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Incontinent
I stopped by a local home health care store to pick up a bag of Abena L4s to tide me over. As I was checking out, the guy behind the counter called over for another employee to bring over some samples; they ended up being the Wellness Superio Signatures. They're considering ordering them for sale, and asked me specifically to compare with the L4 in terms of absorbency.

(I was a little mortified when the employee handed me a large and an XL Wellness; she said they run small. I know I'm a big guy - 6'2" and about 200 lbs, which I'm trying to reduce by a quarter; I've done it before - but still. The L fit like a glove, the XL I swim in. I'm actually slightly below the lowest measurement listed for the L4, but the M4 is a little too small...)

Anyway, I gave it a spin. Good, not great. Could definitely be a day diaper. I wrote the below and sent it to them. They thanked me for the review and gave me a store credit for a bag of Abenas...

I picked up a bag of Abena Abri-Form L4s from you on Saturday, and was handed a couple of samples of the Wellness briefs and asked to compare the absorbency of the two products. I wore the large Wellness Saturday night, and the Abena last night. Here's my feedback:

The Abena provides a much greater feeling of confidence, and stays dry (and comfortable) longer than the Wellness product. While the Wellness product did not leak, by the time I changed in the morning it was very soaked and I would not have trusted it to absorb any more than it did. Unscientifically, my scale says the Wellness absorbed about 1 lbs. of urine overnight.

The Abena L4 (which, I note, weighs a couple of ounces more than the XL Wellness when both are unused and dry) absorbed approximately 1.3 lbs of urine overnight, and felt almost completely dry (where the Wellness felt quite damp).

I suppose I'm somewhat privileged, in that cost (within reason) is not the determining factor when I select protection. Any cost savings would be more than offset by the superior performance and confidence I experience with the Abena products.

The Wellness brief is not a bad product. I trust it a lot more than I do Depend or generic products, and it might be a worthy addition to your product lineup. I would ask you not to stop carrying the Abena products, however, as they really are superior.

I hope this feedback helps.

Wellness will send you samples for the price of shipping (along with a discount code for future orders). The Large fit me fine (6'1" 225 lbs, 34" waist) as most larges do (the only medium I wear are the DRY247 which seem to be more realistic in their waist size charts). The superio was an answer to the rather thin plastic on their regular brief which apparently had a propensity to develop pin holes when chafing against clothes. The superio have the advantage (for me at least) of being white rather than the old depend institutional green color (the different sizes are different colors).

These are one of the worst diapers ever made.... Well not the worst but top 3 for sure.....nasa, ya right.

Iwear365 said:
These are one of the worst diapers ever made.... Well not the worst but top 3 for sure.....nasa, ya right.

Maybe they work better in zero-g? ;)

I tried a sample a few years ago and it turned out the front was filled with pinholes.

irnub said:
I tried a sample a few years ago and it turned out the front was filled with pinholes.

That was the original, the superio supposedly fixes that problem.

irnub said:

willnotwill said:
That was the original, the superio supposedly fixes that problem.

That's my experience. I really liked the Unique Wellness Briefs before they developed that problem (and the company just copped to it rather than fixing it). They were a great low to moderate capacity diaper and I really liked the feeling of the plastic. The Superio was a much better diaper, more on par with Tena Slip Maxis in terms of original thickness and expanded capacity but I didn't like the plastic nearly as much as the Wellness Briefs or the TSMs. I haven't tried them recently but I thought they were an excellent low profile, moderate capacity diaper and while that plastic wasn't fun, it was pretty quiet.

I liked my first case of Superios, although I did notice that they have a lot more SAP than pulp and so moisture does not wick throughout the diaper much. This leads to leaks sooner than a diaper such as the Abena M4 which has more pulp and wicks moisture throughout the diaper. The plastic is very smooth and they are pretty discrete. I was disappointed with my second case of Superios when I had several of the diapers split right down the center back side, completely exposing the absorbent material. Fortunately the time I was wearing one in public that ended up splitting open, I did not wet and noticed it when I got back to my hotel. I had several in that case that did this, probably close to a dozen. I noticed the thin plastic had a line, almost like a tiny crease going right down the brief on all those that split. I emailed their customer support to let them know and never got a response. I didn't expect replacements, but at least acknowledgement and I wanted them to be aware of the flaw. I finally finished off my supply and don't intend to buy them again since I could not trust the product. I didn't have any issues with the first case, nor ever had that happen with other diapers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back