Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feeling Like Crap.

Default Feeling Like Crap.

Excuse the attention-seeking-type post, but I guess I have to get it somewhere...

I was fired from my job yesterday. I guess it didn't matter if I was dependable and tried to be helpful, all that mattered to the one boss was putting on a fake smile. Now, I don't exactly understand how friendly you're supposed to be when you hand someone their sandwich. They say thank you, I say you're welcome. Maybe the boss just didn't like me and was looking for an excuse to bring down the ax. Personally I didn't care a whole lot for him either, or the whole business. They gave me a negative impression on my very first day of the job.

While I don't have a formal diagnosis, I feel I may be suffering from Asperger's Syndrome. I have trouble with facial expressions (thus I don't even attempt fake smiling) and eye contact. I tend to flap my hands in private. I seem a bit uncoordinated and learned to do things like ride a bike and tie my shoes later than most kids. I'm finding I prefer the company of elderly people over people my own age.

Thus I feel like I'm being punished for something I have little control over. I can't help it if I tend to be more quiet, introverted, and reserved. Getting a job before was impossible enough, and now it seems my only chance is going to help at the office of the place where my father works, if his boss lets me.

I feel rather alone and was even talking to my stuffed animal for lack of a better ear. I'm having trouble sleeping tonight; it's a little after 6AM and I took some sleeping pills a while ago. I've experienced several traumatic things since my teens and this just adds to it. I'm still coping with the loss of my first love (an online friend) when he decided to stop speaking to me almost a year ago. I can barely think about the euthanasia of my dog in 2011 without crying.

Hugs your way a boss can be that way sadly some do not care at all.
    You take care .

Just think of your old boss like a dirty diaper. It was time for a change, because he was on your rear and full of...well you get the joke.

There are any number of reasons why you might have been let go, personal mannerisms among them. All you can do is try again, and try to do better.

Usually an employer won't tell you the real reason you were let go unless it was flagrant misbehavior on your part. Anything they say might open them up to legal issues.... Discrimination laws are such a tangled web these days that the safest path is to say nothing more than "see ya, don't need your services any more".

Still, its worth asking during an exit interview, even though in a lot of states, Illinois included, they don't have to give you a reason. Its worth putting a little thought into it yourself to see what you can do better on the next opportunity.

Don't take it personal. Everybody gets let go from a job at some point, most of us more than once.

Ohhh, Kimba, I'm sorry. That probably feels really intimidating having to look for a job again, job interviews are dumb. Just apply to a lot of places and I bet you will get something. It'll get better, hug your stuffies, and then get back too looking for a job once you feel a little better.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    There are any number of reasons why you might have been let go, personal mannerisms among them. All you can do is try again, and try to do better.

Usually an employer won't tell you the real reason you were let go unless it was flagrant misbehavior on your part. Anything they say might open them up to legal issues.... Discrimination laws are such a tangled web these days that the safest path is to say nothing more than "see ya, don't need your services any more".

Still, its worth asking during an exit interview, even though in a lot of states, Illinois included, they don't have to give you a reason. Its worth putting a little thought into it yourself to see what you can do better on the next opportunity.

Don't take it personal. Everybody gets let go from a job at some point, most of us more than once.
    Exit interview? This was a sandwich shop...

He told me it was my customer service skills. But I just handed people their sandwiches. How the hell are you supposed to act when you hand someone their sandwich? I told them what it was so they knew it was theirs. They said thank you, I said you're welcome. Seems pretty straightforward. But no, I guess you have to be smiling all the time because you're just so thrilled about working there. In 2013, I had a seasonal sales associate job where all I did was interact with customers. Not once did the boss say to me I did poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by KimbaStarshine View Post
    Exit interview? This was a sandwich shop...
    <shrugs> I wasn't there. Bigger places use the formal name. Little places, that's a fancy label for what is said when they tell you not to come back. Sometimes you get to say something, sometimes you don't. Sometimes its an opportunity to learn something on the way out, sometimes it's not.

He told me it was my customer service skills. But I just handed people their sandwiches. How the hell are you supposed to act when you hand someone their sandwich? I told them what it was so they knew it was theirs. They said thank you, I said you're welcome. Seems pretty straightforward. But no, I guess you have to be smiling all the time because you're just so thrilled about working there. In 2013, I had a seasonal sales associate job where all I did was interact with customers. Not once did the boss say to me I did poorly.
    He's paying the money, so he gets to decide what skills and behaviours he wants. Doesn't make him right. Or maybe he just said that, and the real reason was he didn't like your looks. No way of knowing, and in the long run, it doesn't matter. You weren't happy there anyway.

Here's hoping I get the last laugh and the place closes down like another sandwich shop that didn't last in my neighborhood. What I tasted of the food didn't impress me and I think Subway is a much better deal. Then the bosses can go crawling back to their old jobs instead of trying to be shitty businesspeople.

What I'm unsure about is the final paycheck. Seeing I was only there for about an hour yesterday it would be very tiny and normally I wouldn't even go back for it. But the welfare department wants to see the paystub. However when I went to clock out and leave yesterday they'd apparently already taken me out of the system (they didn't waste any time, did they?) so I don't even know if they're planning on paying me for that hour. I kinda doubt they'd have decency to mail it to me so I wonder if I should just send my mom in next Friday to see if they have it and avoid any awkward situations.

Welcome to the club. Search for another job and forget that. Life contiues...

As to me... Im my own boss, but it's not big deal.

I think you just have to find the right job and employer. I know that Krogers grocery store hires a lot of different diverse people. It's not the world's greatest job but two of my children worked there when they were in high school, and then summers in between college years. If you're bagging groceries, you really don't have to smile. If you're checking in grocery items, smiling and being pleasant with the customers is important.