Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Cleaning bottles...

  1. #1

    Question Cleaning bottles...

    So I think I may have done something silly.. I used a cleaning product that has bleach in to disinfect my bottles to make sure they are extra clean (OCD), and I washed them 3 times with washing up liquid after but it still smells of the cleaning product.. my bottles tend to retain the smell of things like orange juice, hence why I used this cleaning product.. Do you think I will get sick if I use them?

  2. #2

    Default


    Hi. Little Belleville.

    Have you try soaking them overnight in Milton. This will clean them and take the smell out.
    Or be like me and just wash them up and reuse. As can not what between bottles.


  3. #3

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by sisi View Post

    Hi. Little Belleville.

    Have you try soaking them overnight in Milton. This will clean them and take the smell out.
    Or be like me and just wash them up and reuse. As can not what between bottles.

    I will try that Thank you! I have washed them 3 times but I'm scared to drink from them in case I am drinking cleaning solution

  4. #4

    Default

    Actually, Milton itself is a form of bleach. Both are aqueous solutions of Sodium Hypochlorite. Milton is simply sold at a lower concentration, with a bit of added salt. Provided that you've properly rinsed out the bottle, ideally with hot water, there shouldn't be any issue. In many municipalities, Sodium Hypochlorite is actually added to potable water at treatment works before it's pumped into the water main, so technically, you drink incredibly dilute bleach every day. While there are theoretical health risks from this, they have historically been regarded as extremely insignificant compared to the risk posed by water-borne pathogens like Cholera and Typhoid.

  5. #5

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBelle View Post
    So I think I may have done something silly.. I used a cleaning product that has bleach in to disinfect my bottles to make sure they are extra clean (OCD), and I washed them 3 times with washing up liquid after but it still smells of the cleaning product.. my bottles tend to retain the smell of things like orange juice, hence why I used this cleaning product.. Do you think I will get sick if I use them?
    Just put them in boiling water for 30 minutes and they will be clean as new.

  6. #6

    Default

    When I had IRL little and that happened the best way to clean them was to toss them, beside that was my wife's answer so every six months we either sized up or just replaced them because the nipples would get hard or leak by then. Both of my kids where chewers.

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Akastus View Post
    Actually, Milton itself is a form of bleach. Both are aqueous solutions of Sodium Hypochlorite. Milton is simply sold at a lower concentration, with a bit of added salt. Provided that you've properly rinsed out the bottle, ideally with hot water, there shouldn't be any issue. In many municipalities, Sodium Hypochlorite is actually added to potable water at treatment works before it's pumped into the water main, so technically, you drink incredibly dilute bleach every day. While there are theoretical health risks from this, they have historically been regarded as extremely insignificant compared to the risk posed by water-borne pathogens like Cholera and Typhoid.
    That makes me feel a little better, thank you

  8. #8

    Default

    I use baking soda to clean my sports bottles and water bladders (camelbak) use a teaspoon in a small bottle with hot water. Shake and allow to soak for half an hour then rinse with hot water.

  9. #9

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by PaddedPaddler View Post
    I use baking soda to clean my sports bottles and water bladders (camelbak) use a teaspoon in a small bottle with hot water. Shake and allow to soak for half an hour then rinse with hot water.
    This, and/or boiling. Aside from that, toss. My sippy cups , wihich are probably on the more expensive end (Nalgene), are only ~6/ea, and, though it would suck to throw them out, if the smell in them didn't come out, I would. While we're on this - Coffee doesn't come out very well!

    EDIT: Evenflo still makes glass bottles - do you have those?

  10. #10

    Default

    I use Playtex Drop-ins, just toss the liner and use a new liner.

Similar Threads

  1. Cleaning up?
    By GoodnitesLover64 in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 13-Sep-2013, 15:03
  2. Cleaning a Nuk?
    By JoshuaH in forum Adult Babies & Littles
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 31-Mar-2013, 00:47
  3. Cleaning up my collection.
    By KaworuVsDrWily in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 13-Aug-2011, 01:38
  4. Cleaning up SAP?
    By Dann in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29-May-2011, 23:40
  5. Spring Cleaning
    By KarateDiaper in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-May-2008, 14:25

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.