Thread: Toe injury...

Default Toe injury...

I was moving a box around in my room, a couple minutes ago, and i was slding a particularly heavy box full of wires and electronics and heavy stuff... It slid over my toe on accident, and part of the nail was ripped off... It's bleeding a bit now, and I think turning black and blue, what is left of the nail, and I bandaged it. My mom doesn't really care and just yelled at me for swearing about it, and I'm wondering if I should go to the hospital about this. It's bleeding a fair amount, not profusely but not only a drop or two either... I applied first aid cream and bandaged it, so do you think this wil be enough, or should I find a way to the hopsital (probably my best option is about 30 minutes to an hour away, so I'd have to wait that long if I need to)? And also, will the nail grow back there?

Mako

Quote Originally Posted by adaffme149 View Post
    I was moving a box around in my room, a couple minutes ago, and i was slding a particularly heavy box full of wires and electronics and heavy stuff... It slid over my toe on accident, and part of the nail was ripped off... It's bleeding a bit now, and I think turning black and blue, what is left of the nail, and I bandaged it. My mom doesn't really care and just yelled at me for swearing about it, and I'm wondering if I should go to the hospital about this. It's bleeding a fair amount, not profusely but not only a drop or two either... I applied first aid cream and bandaged it, so do you think this wil be enough, or should I find a way to the hopsital (probably my best option is about 30 minutes to an hour away, so I'd have to wait that long if I need to)? And also, will the nail grow back there?
    Nail will grow back, but you probably want to go to the hospital. I know I would be there already if this happened to me, but your medical system is different from my country.

My experience with hospital emergency rooms is that they will shuttle a minor injury such as yours to the back of the line, and eventually (hours and hours) just bandage you up and give you antibiotic/anesthetic cream to re-apply a couple of times a day.

Do it yourself, and if it doesn't start getting better in a couple of days, go to your own doctor. (you do have one, right?)

If you're going to treat it yourself, be sure to clean up the injured area good to get any dirt from the box out of the wound. Last thing you need is to have infection set in. Try to keep your leg elevated a little to help the bleeding to ease up. Sorry to hear you had a painful foot accident.

~Pramrider

Toes, for some reason, tend to bleed alot. Give it a few days. If it gets more painful or doesn't begin to heal up, go see a podiatrist.

Customizer

Yeah, wipe it with hydrogen peroxide or rubbing alcohol once a day and re-bandage it with some cream. You'll be fine. Just don't obstruct the nail's path when it starts to grow back.

First, this is not meant as medical advice, and you should always talk to a physician about medical things...
    Ok so now for the advice
    First off, actually if you pick the right ED(Emergency Dept. not another meaning) from 9a-9p or times around that you will be moved to the fast track type area, which tends to be pretty quick, though that can change if it is a particularly busy day.

Ok, so basically in a hypothetical scenario like yours, I would probably just stay home, your nail will grow back, the rest of the nail might fall off first, but give it time and it will all come back. If you were to go to an ED they would probably offer to X-ray it, but at the same time suggest that its not really worth it since there is really nothing they will do differently if it was in fact broken, basically if you are concerned about some sort of fracture you can always buddy tape it to the toe next to it, and then clean/bandage it if its still bleeding, so basically everything you have already done. My opinion would be that you just go about your day tomorrow as tolerated, so if your toe really hurts, try to stay off it and if you want to you can try to keep it elevated and iced to relieve some of the swelling/pain, and if it hasn't gotten any better or if you are still worried by Monday or Tuesday give your Primary Care Provider a call and see what they say. But there really isn't any reason to go to the ED at this point.

Also, not sure how much of an open wound and such it is, but you would also want to keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get infected... though from what I think you are describing that wouldn't be much of a concern.

Finally, I am assuming that there is no actual deep/long/wide cut that would require closure with glue/sutures and that there isnt a displaced fracture or anything, basically the toe looks like it normally does.

And again, remember the most important thing is that if YOU feel concerned you should contact a physician and ask them, you are the best person to judge if something is wrong that needs fixing or if it can just wait.

I just bandaged it and fell asleep/passed out (one of the two). There's blood and some weird clearish sticky stuff (not the crea, I put on it, I only put a very small amount on it) soaked through the bandage, but it should be fine now, I hope. I think it's stopped bleeding. Thanks for the advice, though. I'm just going to go to work tomorrow and everything as normal.

adaffme149 I feel for ya I've ripped my toe nail off on a few occasions. From my experience every thing should be fine just watch for ingrown nails.(they can hurt like hell) Take a couple pain killers and keep it clean.

Ah, I don't take any pills of any sort, unless I absolutely need to. I've had too many bad experiences with what the counselors called "medication".(Ritalin and aderol and such, etc.) I mean, if it can be used as a drug for some people, by so little as taking it in the recommended doses even, then it's not good for you, obviously. What does concern me, however, is the fact that I yelled at the top of my lungs when it happened, dropped to the floor of my room in pain, and started screaming obscenities, rolling around holding my bleeding toe and I laid there in pain trying not to cry about it and making just about any other noise in the book that one would make when injured, and trying to get the guts to look at how bad it is, and release it, for about ten minutes, and the only thing my mom did was yelled at me for swearng, and ignored the huge spot of blood in my sock, and as i stumbled/hopped through the house to the bathroom, yelled at me because I was going to "wake the baby up" (her boyfriend's sister's baby). Glad I wasn't dying, or something. I still can't wait to get out of here...