Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Makeup

Default Makeup

I'm transgender, and might consider trying makeup, I'm just curious as where I would start.

So I have a few questions.

1. What type of make up should I try.
    2. How hard is it to get used to make up.
    3. What is some nice nail polish I should try.
    4. Eye liner kind of scares me, how does one usually apply that?

Just a couple of thoughts: I'm not transgender, nor is my wife, and I like her fine without makeup, even though she wears it for work and going out other places. .

So, bottom line is, if you like something, go with it. Our opinions, and those of the rest of the world, aren't especially important.

MarchinBunny

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkBunny View Post
    I'm transgender, and might consider trying makeup, I'm just curious as where I would start.

So I have a few questions.

To answer all your questions ... I would suggest youtube.
    Also ... this site tends to have a ton of great tips.
    http://feminizationsecrets.com/

Personally speaking, I have not tried makeup enough to be able to tell you what is good to get. I can tell you eye liner tends to be the hardest to get used to. It can feel really weird at times and even make your eyes feels dry if not put on correctly. It takes a lot of practice. It's not as scary as you may think, but it's certainly the hardest to get used to lol.

Nail polish on the other hand, is more of a just try it and see. I tend to buy all sorts of nail polish, even sometimes from a dollar store or thrifty shops.

Make up and nail polish can really be pretty expensive. One of my favorite brands is MAC and they are not cheap. XD

Quote Originally Posted by brabbit1987 View Post
    To answer all your questions ... I would suggest youtube.
    Also ... this site tends to have a ton of great tips.
    http://feminizationsecrets.com/

Personally speaking, I have not tried makeup enough to be able to tell you what is good to get. I can tell you eye liner tends to be the hardest to get used to. It can feel really weird at times and even make your eyes feels dry if not put on correctly. It takes a lot of practice. It's not as scary as you may think, but it's certainly the hardest to get used to lol.

Nail polish on the other hand, is more of a just try it and see. I tend to buy all sorts of nail polish, even sometimes from a dollar store or thrifty shops.

Make up and nail polish can really be pretty expensive. One of my favorite brands is MAC and they are not cheap. XD

I'll give that site a look, yeah that's why I'm considering doing it when I have a decent paid job, in Information Technology.

Okay, That's kind of a relief, at least I know I won't go blind due to using it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyMoonFox View Post
    Well it really depends on how much you want to spend and how often you plan on wearing it.

I would recommend starting with a cheaper brand like cover girl. If you end up really liking it and get serious bare minerals is really good but it's crazy expensive (as far as make up goes IMO).

Not sure how helpfull this will be since I'm a girl who rarely wears make up (I put some on last month it was so old the eye shadow brush disintegrated while I was applying it) any hoo... Unless your putting on the mascara very thick you shouldn't really be able to tell it's there until you want to remove it that is.

As for nail polish I would suggest wet n wild (is this still a brand?) or the comparable brand that is about a dollar per bottle there are a lot of color choices. It will start to flake after 24 hours, but is easily touched up.

For applying eye liner I would suggest taking your time, keep a quip available and look up for applying to the lower lid and down for the upper and just try to keep in line with your eye lashes. Liquid is easier to apply but makes a bigger mess if smeared.
    I'll give that brand a look, yeah I'm worried about smearing.

Try this forum, you might find some cool tips and ideas and go to youtube as well, lots of tutorial vids there. Makeup is fun and there are no limits and nail polish is also wonderful - I paint my toe nails in summer, loveeee green and blue paint and I dont give two sh*ts about what people might think!!

MarchinBunny

I do need to point out that regular make up tips may or may not help. Being transgender there are specific things you should do and don't. Some things that may work well on a female, may not for transgender women. This has largely to do with different bone structure, facial hair, and skin. It's why I gave a transgender resource specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by brabbit1987 View Post
    I do need to point out that regular make up tips may or may not help. Being transgender there are specific things you should do and don't. Some things that may work well on a female, may not for transgender women. This has largely to do with different bone structure, facial hair, and skin. It's why I gave a transgender resource specifically.
    Very true, I'll give a look into transgender specific makeup sites like you gave me, and experiment with non-transgender specific makeup sites aswell, and see if anything suits me or mix and experiment. I'm quite interested in this.

Is it possible to do anything about my bone structure and facial hair?

I could be wrong with this, but from memory the hips are also different in men, isn't there a specific surgery they do for that, I know this is a tat off-topic, but will help me in the future when it comes to makeup.

Now, me being back on topic, I've heard about people being allergic to specific makeups, how would I go with finding out if I am or not, don't want to get a random allergic reaction to something, would I just apply a little bit on like my arm or something and see what happens?

MarchinBunny

Very true, I'll give a look into transgender specific makeup sites like you gave me, and experiment with non-transgender specific makeup sites aswell, and see if anything suits me or mix and experiment. I'm quite interested in this.
    Yep, that is pretty much the best thing to do. Experimenting to see what works and what doesn't.

Is it possible to do anything about my bone structure and facial hair?
    Putting on makeup a certain way can make these things less noticeable. I know there is a tip for using red lipstick in areas where facial hair really would show through. Apparently the red hue cancels out the darker blueish hue coming from say a 5 o'clock shadow. I am assuming that only works though for those with darker facial hair. people with light facial hair probably doesn't even need to worry about it.

I could be wrong with this, but from memory the hips are also different in men, isn't there a specific surgery they do for that, I know this is a tat off-topic, but will help me in the future when it comes to makeup.
    Surgery, yes. They also have undergarments you can wear that adds padding in certain areas to give you more feminine look.

Now, me being back on topic, I've heard about people being allergic to specific makeups, how would I go with finding out if I am or not, don't want to get a random allergic reaction to something, would I just apply a little bit on like my arm or something and see what happens?
    I think the only way you would find out is if you have an allergic reaction. The only way around this is if you already know the ingredient in it that you maybe allergic to, which is probably unlikely unless you have worn makeup before and found out prior.

I used to have a job writing for a cosmetics (and fashion) company, so whilst you might not have been expecting a detailed response about makeup from any heterosexual cis men, you're going to get one!

In terms of brands, it's up to you - it depends a bit on budget, and whether you're looking more to just buy some makeup and discover what your style is, or you know what look(s) you're going for, and want to get the best products for them.

My ex-girlfriend and many of the women I've worked with swear by MAC makeup. Their products are mid-range in price (somewhere between drugstore and luxury items), and they generally get very good reviews. MAC lipsticks are considered to be absolutely the best on the market - excluding products which cost insane amounts. So I have it on good authority to recommend those.

As for other products, I'd recommend watching a few videos from beauty gurus on YouTube. There are loads of makeup tutorials on there; many of them celebrity inspired. I think from there you'll get a feel for which products, shades, etc. will suit your complexion and would be likely to suit your personal tastes. It's better than just buying blind, and you might also get a few good tips on which drugstore items are an amazing bargain, and which luxury items are or aren't worth the hefty price tag.

One thing I would advise, is not to wear dramatic makeup in the workplace. Rightly or wrongly, many bosses consider it unprofessional.

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkBunny
    In terms of seeing your face with it on? Probably not very long. In terms of your skin getting used to it? I would expect that to take a little while.

I'd recommend going makeup free on some days, just to give your skin the chance to breathe. Otherwise it can get a bit sore or blotchy, and then you'll need more makeup to cover it up, and that can become a bit of a vicious cycle!

I'd also advise buying lots of makeup wipes, especially as you're not experienced in wearing the stuff. Chances are you're not going to get that eyeliner wing spot on the first time, or the second, or the third. These things are a fine art!

Here's where I'm useless. Not a product I've ever really written about, oddly enough. I'm sure there'll be nail art inspiration on YouTube, though. Pinterest will also be your friend, and with some items on there, you can click through to a purchase if you see something which totally takes your fancy.

Eyeliner is available in a pencil form, or in a liquid variety. It goes on over eyeshadow and before mascara. Otherwise it just ends up as a mess. I've never worn makeup, but I've been reliably informed that the trick is to draw a dotted line across the lash, and then fill in the line in full, once that's been done. It'll take a bit of practice, a mirror and a steady hand, but you'll get there. Practice makes progress!

Hope some of that helps!

Before you commit to anything when it comes to eyeliner, I would just like to say, not everyone looks good with eyeliner, so you should try it, but it depends on the shape of your eyes and face.