Gah, this one's holey

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpottedLion

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
Was diapering up for a SIDM and noticed this one's got a small hole in it at the top of the padding in the front. Beats me where it came from. I got some PUL pants, mainly for being out and about, but I really don't feel like dealing with a leak tomorrow morning, so I'll be switching these out before going to bed. For now, they'll just be comfy.

So, holes in diapers are a thing. I guess with plastic-backed ones you could put duct tape over the hole, but I use cloth-backed for the noise. Is it possible to do diaper surgery to repair small holes in cloth ones?

The hole is very close to the top (padding on Seni stops right before waistband elastic; hole is there). How badly would it leak? I get a hole at the bottom would be obviously bad, but this is out of the way... almost to the big hole at the top. :p I'm curious, but don't have the ensured privacy in the morning to try it just to see.

It happens. It's a disposable product, made in quantity, an occasional defect will slip by. When you're making something that cheap in that quantity, there's only limited testing during production, and NO individual quality control checks. (no one has someone inspecting every diaper that comes out of the machine)

I've gotten some weird ones in my time. The problems are almost always with the tapes. Bambino had a problem with a specific tape missing altogether on rare occasion, as have absorbency plus. Several Totaldry Plus had a lower tape attached very close to the upper tape. I've gotten numerous snuggies recently where one tape got peeled up a bit during folding and was stuck to another part of the shell. I've received a diaper on TWO occasions where it was clearly made while they were switching rolls of backing, that one should have been pulled off the line but wasn't, so it was a mutant of two diapers manufactured together. I've gotten entire cases where the sap grains were way too coarse and were causing pinhole leaks by friction. Several examples of padding being very thin or nonexistent in some area of the diaper. So, it happens, don't get too upset over it.

As for your hole, yes those can leak. It's less of a problem with a high-sap diaper, but the problem is the padding traps a lot of liquid, and if you put pressure on it, it'll try to migrate around. If there's a hole there, even a pinhole, the pressure can squeeze a drop or three out the hole and come into contact with your clothes, causing a wet spot to appear. I've had that happen on a few occasions. A few of those were caused by almost invisible nicks made from my zipper track as I was pulling on my pants in the morning. (so I watch that more closely now) I remember getting home and finding a wet spot had appeared on the front of my pants on the drive home. When I got home I went to change and it LOOKED ok but then after removing and balling up my diaper, I gave it a squeeze and sure enough, a big droplet immediately formed right there in front on the shell. The hole itself was too small to be seen, but was enough to let liquid out when under pressure. There isn't always a way to predict or identify these, it's just a risk of the business.

I'm honestly pretty surprised I made it to the bitter end of the case before finding any manufacturing defects. (Where I work, I find them a dime a dozen.) The shell weave was just gone in a spot, like air bubbles taking a chunk out of bread.

I want one of those mutant diapers! for those "Take a look at this." moments I have.

SpottedLion said:
I want one of those mutant diapers! for those "Take a look at this." moments I have.

I kept a few of them for awhile but then lost interest and threw them away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back