Building a crib?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittlePony

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I'm wanting to know if anyone has built a crib using their existing twin bed. I have a Twin XL mattress. I don't have access to a saw or any major tools used to cut the materials.

Hello,

I have. The crib I have uses a twin bed I already had. Basically the design I went through has for rails that bolt together and more or less wrap around the twin bed. But the bed is supported by it's own frame. Cost me about $150.00 to build. Been sleeping in it since 2001. :)

-Stanley

I have thought for a while about building a frame that would just surround a normal bed to give it the effect of a crib from the inside, but I am waiting until I have more resources, and probably a place of my own. Without tools, it might be hard for you to make something out of wood, at most you could maybe make something out of PVC pipe, but that could look pretty lousy unless you had a lot of crib bumpers covering it up or something.

Most Hardware store will cut the wood for you if you know what size you need it to be cut to. They may charge you a little more to do this but if you do not have any way of cutting the wood yourself, this may be the best thing to do. I build my own crib last year, but I cut everything myself. I did have to but the tools to do this, but it gave me a good reason to buy them :) Best of luck and if you need any help feel free to ask.

stanley19802 said:
Hello,

I have. The crib I have uses a twin bed I already had. Basically the design I went through has for rails that bolt together and more or less wrap around the twin bed. But the bed is supported by it's own frame. Cost me about $150.00 to build. Been sleeping in it since 2001. :)

-Stanley

I would like to try that but I can't see buying the plans for the price you have on your site, especially since I don't have a twin bed, it's a twin extra long. Do you have a special deal for ADISC members? I was hoping that the plans would be free.

Hello Little Pony,

Sorry about the 20 dollar price on the plans. The plans are very detailed with exact measurements and list of parts. But the money doesn't go to me anyway. It goes to keeping my site online and free of cost to AB/TB/DL's as well as bed wetters and people who deal with incontinence.

But for your question about a extra long twin bed, the only part you would have to extend would be the side rails. I had to do the same thing when my doctor ordered me a hospital bed which is longer than a twin. A hospital bed is similar in length to your twin extra long. Almost 7 feet. You would only need about 6 extra dowels for the extra foot in length and make the side rails one foot longer. Not big deal at all. But feel free to go with any design you wish. It's all about having a crib you enjoy. Many have come up with their own design. Some great ones out there. :)

-Stanley

stanley19802 said:
Hello Little Pony,

Sorry about the 20 dollar price on the plans. The plans are very detailed with exact measurements and list of parts. But the money doesn't go to me anyway. It goes to keeping my site online and free of cost to AB/TB/DL's as well as bed wetters and people who deal with incontinence.

But for your question about a extra long twin bed, the only part you would have to extend would be the side rails. I had to do the same thing when my doctor ordered me a hospital bed which is longer than a twin. A hospital bed is similar in length to your twin extra long. Almost 7 feet. You would only need about 6 extra dowels for the extra foot in length and make the side rails one foot longer. Not big deal at all. But feel free to go with any design you wish. It's all about having a crib you enjoy. Many have come up with their own design. Some great ones out there. :)

-Stanley

I get that, that makes sense. Do you have any pictures of your crib I can see? (Edited to add: I saw the pictures on your site) I'll buy the plans soon when I move into my new apartment.

What type of railing did you use or dowels and wood did you use? I saw the pictures on your site, but it didn't look like you used dowels, it looked like railing.

Hello Little Pony,

The bars are made up of 2X2 beams and then I used round 1 inch dowels. I got a 1 inch wide spade bit to make the holes for the dowels. Did a decent job. When I first built it, I got it done in about 2 days due to letting glue dry. Not counting painting. But if you let the wood store cut all the wood for ya, it will save you a bunch of time. For painting I did a light coat of white paint so the wood still grain showed through. But feel free to paint or stain it anyway you like to make your inner toddler happy. But yea, I am happy to help you through the process so you can have a crib to wake up in. It's a amazing experience. But plan to sleep in it on your day off the first time. My first night I was SOOOO excited to be sleeping in a real crib that I was up all night looking out through the bars sucking my paci and playing with the mobile. hehe.

-Baby Stanley

I've thought about doing this before, I've found some hardware store like Home Depot and stuff already have pre made like deck or stair rails that could easily be made into a kind of crib. If I were to give it a go i'd look into that tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back