Caught in public

Status
Not open for further replies.

nezquic66

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
I've been pretty discreet in buying and wearing diapers for a number of years, though, part of me has always remained nervous being young, in college, and from a small community. Tonight while buying more diapers at Walgreens, I was officially "called out" for wearing a diaper in public.
The weather was warm today in NC, so I opted for shorts over jeans. I've been sick recently, so I spent my weekend diapered and used quite a few more then expected. While on my last Depend (yes, I hate them too, I just cant buy REAL diapers at college) I decided it was time to restock on Depends and Goodnites, the two easiest diapers for me to buy and wear.
I was wet (and showing) when I walked into the store, and while holding my Depends in one arm and reaching down to pick up Goodnites in the other, I heard a girl (who was about 5 years old) behind me say to her mom "look, that boy wears diapers" and was pointing to my diaper poking from the top of my shorts.
The girls mom quickly apologized and I heard her explain "sometimes, people need to wear diapers no matter their age." I was really shocked and embarrassed, though, I applaud the mother for teaching her daughter a great lesson.
It felt weird buying the diapers after that though. I've had this on my mind for a few hours. I've changed in public and boughten diapers many times. I've thrown my old diapers away at rest stops where I am sure people have seen me, though, never said anything. Has this ever happened to anyone else before with buying?

haven't been "called" out like that, but have changed in public spots as well. so far so good. good that the mom was nice enough and didnt join in and make fun,

Eeek! That sounds pretty embarrassing. I'd take it as a warning to make extra sure your diaper isn't obvious if you're wearing in public.

A similar thing happened to me (although I wasn't actually wearing). It was actually the first time I'd ever bought adult diapers. I went in to the shop just before they closed and waited until the queues at the checkouts died down.

There were four tills open, and two had no one at them. I grabbed a huge multi-pack of Tena Maxi Slips, and made a dash for the tills. As I got closer to the end of the aisle, I saw a veritable tide of people walking towards the checkouts! And I broke into a sweat...

I made a beeline for the furthest-away till, and as I was nearly there, the checkout girl stood up and started walking away. Eeek! I turned around just in time to see a crowd of people arrive at the last three checkouts and... and... Another checkout operator stood up to leave!

Red in the face and feeling faint, I joined the shortest queue... of about twenty people. More people joined the queue behind me (where had everyone been hiding?!). My heart was racing; it felt like everyone behind must be staring at the huge package I was holding.

I took a deep breath and convinced myself that, probably, no one had noticed. I thought I'd take a cursory glance behind to reassure myself. I slowly turned my head and met the burning gaze of the woman behind, young girl in tow, staring directly at me. I gulped, and went even redder.

Raising her voice, she loudly announced, "Oh, that reminds me! We must get some more nappies for little Jimmy.". The next seven or eight people in front of me all turned round and stared. And I could do nothing but stand there patiently for the next ten minutes.

And to top it all off, on the long walk home, I bumped into a group of friends who all wanted to know what was in the huge black bin bag I was carrying. Thank god it was December and I managed to convince them it was just some boring Christmas presents.

I order online now.

-------------------------
P.S. Hope you don't mind me saying, but this had me baffled for ages:

nezquic66 said:
The weather was warm today in NC, so I opted for shorts over jeans.

I was like... "Why would you wear your shorts over your jeans?! What are you, Superman?! No wonder people were looking at you... Oh, hang on... Ahhhhh, I get it!" :lol:

You people must wear really small shirts if your diaper is seen poking out of your pants.....

I think that what happend to was yes embarrissing but that was a good teaching moment for that little girl and the mother handled that verry well.

I have learned this about kids they will tell it like it is, no matter what it is.

But guys can you emagine how embarrassing the talk on the ride home was for that mother I mean that little girl was probably asking so many qwestions.

I find it more easy to display the fact I am wearing a diaper because I am in a wheelchair it's almost expected. My diaper often shows if I lean forward. Also when wearing shorts my leg bag is sometimes visible. I think you did really well and if it happens again you will not feel as bad.

FauxPas said:
You people must wear really small shirts if your diaper is seen poking out of your pants.....

Eh, not necessarily. Shirts ride up, it can happen. A couple weeks ago I was shoe shopping, wearing two shirts and a hoodie, and accidentally exposed the top of my pull-up while sitting on one of the provided stools.

But the OP knew his diaper was showing and didn't attempt to cover it, which seems a bit too exhibition-y to me, if his story is indeed true.

KimbaStarshine said:
Eh, not necessarily. Shirts ride up, it can happen. A couple weeks ago I was shoe shopping, wearing two shirts and a hoodie, and accidentally exposed the top of my pull-up while sitting on one of the provided stools.

But the OP knew his diaper was showing and didn't attempt to cover it, which seems a bit too exhibition-y to me, if his story is indeed true.

I must be weird then I wear longer shirts, I have never had a shirt ride up on me

FauxPas said:
I must be weird then I wear longer shirts, I have never had a shirt ride up on me

Us tall people have a big problem with that. Bend over, raise hands above head, etc. Almsot all shirts come untucked. I recently discovered fruit of the loom sells "XT" tshirts, those actually drop down almot to the bottom of my diaper. Those do NOT come untucked :)

Pretty sure a group of guys busted me at movie theatre one time, but they didn't confront me cause I scooted out of there

Onesies also help this problem. No matter how high your shirt runs up a onesie will always stay tucked in :) I feel about 1000% more comfortable wearing in public when I'm wearing one.

One time I went to stock up on Certainty diapers at a walgreens one summer day. Ahead of me was two mothers and one of their kids who was around 12. The kid decided to crack a joke at me by muttering "Talk about a big baby." Unfortunately for him, his mom and I both heard him. She pinched his ear and told him to apologize. After he apologized, I said, "There isn't any real need to apologize. I am my mom's baby after all." To which the mothers replied "She is lucky to have a son who is forgiving in such a case."

FauxPas said:

Women's shirts on the other hand tend to be made short. At the time, I was wearing a long-sleeved women's t-shirt, but had a men's t-shirt over that, in addition to my hoodie. However, I've noticed that most of my jeans tend to ride low, which doesn't help with keeping a diaper covered. I don't know if it's just how women's jeans are made or what.

bambinod said:
Us tall people have a big problem with that. Bend over, raise hands above head, etc. Almsot all shirts come untucked. I recently discovered fruit of the loom sells "XT" tshirts, those actually drop down almot to the bottom of my diaper. Those do NOT come untucked :)

I shop at a place called casual male xl. They sell shirts up to 7xlt. That is 7xl tall. I tend to buy 5xlt shirts as by the time they shrink they are just right. We call this place the fat guy store.

diapernh said:
I shop at a place called casual male xl. They sell shirts up to 7xlt. That is 7xl tall. I tend to buy 5xlt shirts as by the time they shrink they are just right. We call this place the fat guy store.

I tend to refer to the women's plus-size section (where I shop) as ''the fat people section.'' :p

we have a store here called "Big 'n Tall Men's Wear". Their logo has a couple characters on the sign, one's basically round, the other one goes up and then turns sideways when he gets to the top of the sign. They carry mostly formalwear (suits etc) but for fat and tall builds. Unfortunately they don't carry much in the way of tshirts or non-dress shirts.

I think I ended up getting mine on amazon, http://www.amazon.com/Fruit-Loom-3-Pack-Crew-Neck-T-Shirt/dp/B00CEH29RO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back