Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Help Secret Find A PC Thread!

Secret

Default The Help Secret Find A PC Thread!

Okay so I have a really old and crappy computer and I want to get a new one. My budget is about 500$ to 600$ dollars and I need to be able to run games like

LEFT 4 DEAD Left 4 Dead System Requirements - Left 4 Dead 411
    TF2 Team Fortress 2 System Requirements at FreakyGaming

And I want to be able to at least play these games well so their not choppy. I do not need a monitor or keyboard or mouse I just need the tower and I am willing to go with a refurbished tower.

So can yall help me please thanks!

Right now im kinda a hp fan kinda person, so this is way biased... and probably even more so because i found it using best buy's finder function i would probably say this one looks decent, and for 529.99usd it doesn't sound like too bad of a deal.

AMD X2 64 4200+ @ 2.2 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 320 GB Hard Disk Drive, 500 watt OCZ PSU, EVGA 8800 GT 512 MB of ram.

that's my rig right there and run both maxed out with about AAx4. however I would go with a newer CPU and a 4850 ATI GPU.

Secret,

I bought THIS several months ago, and it is really good, I have no complaints, save one. The onboard graphics is not the best. The ONLY thing I am going to do to upgrade is pop in an ATI hd4870, but the less expensive 4670 or 4650 will probably meet/ exceed most games that aren't Crysis, or whatnot. Check the specs on this system, and you should be impressed, especially for $509.99! (It was $650 when I bought mine)

Some Specs:
    #
    Processor AMD Phenom™ X4 Quad- Core
    #
    Processor Speed 1.8GHz
    #
    System Bus 800MHz
    #
    Cache Memory 2MB on die Level 3
    #
    System Memory (RAM) 4GB
    #
    System Memory (RAM) Expandable To 8GB
    #
    Type of Memory (RAM) DDR2
    #
    Hard Drive Type Serial ATA II (7200 rpm)
    #
    Hard Drive Size 640GB

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Snap View Post
    Secret,

I bought THIS several months ago, and it is really good, I have no complaints, save one. The onboard graphics is not the best. The ONLY thing I am going to do to upgrade is pop in an ATI hd4870, but the less expensive 4670 or 4650 will probably meet/ exceed most games that aren't Crysis, or whatnot. Check the specs on this system, and you should be impressed, especially for $509.99! (It was $650 when I bought mine)

Some Specs:
    #
    Processor AMD Phenom™ X4 Quad- Core
    #
    Processor Speed 1.8GHz
    #
    System Bus 800MHz
    #
    Cache Memory 2MB on die Level 3
    #
    System Memory (RAM) 4GB
    #
    System Memory (RAM) Expandable To 8GB
    #
    Type of Memory (RAM) DDR2
    #
    Hard Drive Type Serial ATA II (7200 rpm)
    #
    Hard Drive Size 640GB
    That's a pretty weak CPU for a quad core. Even now most programs still don't use all 4 cores so really right now that's like having a 2 core 1.8 GHz CPU at this point in time. Not to mention TF2 doesn't even support multi-cores yet since Valve likes their DX8 users. Any gamer that's still on DX8 needs to get government assistance with buying a a half way decent GPU.

----------------
    Now playing: Clint Mansell - Lux Aeterna (Full Orchestral Remix)
    via FoxyTunes

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    That's a pretty weak CPU for a quad core. Even now most programs still don't use all 4 cores so really right now that's like having a 2 core 1.8 GHz CPU at this point in time. Not to mention TF2 doesn't even support multi-cores yet since Valve likes their DX8 users. Any gamer that's still on DX8 needs to get government assistance with buying a a half way decent GPU.
    You know, I thought it might be weak too, but I have yet to really task it even playing Fallout 3 (my onboard graphics on the other hand...) the good thing is that even the black edition Phenoms aren't that expensive, and they pop right into this MOBO should I decide to upgrade.

Hahaha that one from Best Buy is pathetic.

Do you mind ordering off eBay?

edit: Yes I can get a comp that will run Fallout 3 nicely. Not like mine (Radeon 4830, E8500, 4GB of DDR3, Windows 7 64-bit, 60fps [capped] in Fallout 3 at 1280x1024 with 4xAA or ~20fps at 24xAA, which cost a good bit more than $650 but you'll be able to run Team Fortress 2 with 60+ fps in DX9 and at least 2xAA for $600.

Secret

I would rather not order off of Ebay for security reasons and past experiences.

Darkfinn

I know it's not really what you are looking for... but I got a killer deal on a new Compaq (by HP) laptop over the holidays...

Compaq CQ60Z, AMD Athlon X-2 Dual Core processor (2.0GHz), 3GB DDR2, 160GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce 8200M G, integrated wireless, etc.

Paid just under $500 for it shipped to my door. IDK what kinda prices they have on them now... but its a good unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret View Post
    Okay so I have a really old and crappy computer and I want to get a new one. My budget is about 500$ to 600$ dollars and I need to be able to run games like

LEFT 4 DEAD Left 4 Dead System Requirements - Left 4 Dead 411
    TF2 Team Fortress 2 System Requirements at FreakyGaming

And I want to be able to at least play these games well so their not choppy. I do not need a monitor or keyboard or mouse I just need the tower and I am willing to go with a refurbished tower.

So can yall help me please thanks!
    Go to Dell's site and search their "refurbished" hardware section, they have good deals there.

-Gus