Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Oh the uses of pee

  1. #1

    Default Oh the uses of pee

    I was reading through this article on the uses of urine and came across some interesting things. Anyone remember that thread about reusing diapers that are not fully used? Urine was a cleaning agent as among other many strange things. What you guys take of this?
    .
    http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/...ithsonian.html

  2. #2

    Default

    Growing up along the Atlantic ocean, I remember reading histories on the old sailing ships. They too would use a pee collection barrel where they would use the pee/ammonia to wash clothes. It sounds really gross to me!

  3. #3

    Default

    Well, urine contains large amounts of nitrogen and will break down to ammonia over time, both of which are useful for a wide variety of things. Not too surprising it found a lot of weird uses by virtue of being readily available, though one does wonder how these uses were discovered before any real chemical knowledge. How much trial and error do you go through before "lets try peeing on it" comes up.

  4. #4

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    ....though one does wonder how these uses were discovered before any real chemical knowledge.
    Actually, it is easier for me to understand how uses for urine were discovered. What bogles my mind is how something like soap could be created without any real chemical knowledge. Saponification is a rather cool chemical process, but it is just that, a process. And if done incorrectly is extremely hazardous for human contact which is also crazy that they figured out how to manufacture soap and test it to be safe for use without any idea of things like Ph scales or testing.

  5. #5

    Default

    Yeah, some stuff you can picture just _somehow_ got stumbled upon, and some stuff (like bread) you can see the iterative steps that got them there, but some stuff is kinda all or nothing.

  6. #6

    Default

    Urine also used to be used in the leather tanning process.

    I don't know if there is any truth to this, but someone pulled something off the web about how at one time they went door to door to buy urine for the leather tanners. If you were poor, you were "piss poor" and if you were really poor, "you didn't have a pot to piss in".

    There was also something about the tanners being out of town because their places (and them) smelled so bad.

  7. #7

    Default

    Let's see I'm doing a load of whites should I throw a cup of tide or a pint of urine?

  8. #8

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
    Let's see I'm doing a load of whites should I throw a cup of tide or a pint of urine?
    Oh I would just use half a pint. LOL :p

  9. #9

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    Well, urine contains large amounts of nitrogen and will break down to ammonia over time, both of which are useful for a wide variety of things. Not too surprising it found a lot of weird uses by virtue of being readily available, though one does wonder how these uses were discovered before any real chemical knowledge. How much trial and error do you go through before "lets try peeing on it" comes up.
    Having once been a 10 year old boy, I'd suggest "let's pee on it" is pretty high on the list of things to try in just about any circumstance.

  10. #10

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Having once been a 10 year old boy, I'd suggest "let's pee on it" is pretty high on the list of things to try in just about any circumstance.
    "Note for future: don't ever try that on a barbed wire fence (with bright yellow insulators on the top line) ever again"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.