Is the influx of AB diapers responsible for the demise of other plastic-backed diapers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveMeDo

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I've noticed that some popular plastic-backed diapers (such as the Tena Slip Maxi) have been discontinued or redesigned. Is this because AB diapers have taken their place, or is there less demand for plastic-backed diapers in general? Or have adult diaper designs always fluctuated this much?

Actually no. The reason for that is because the cloth like backing for diapers happens to be cheaper then the plastic backing(though not necessarily better). This results in cheaper production costs and higher profits (At least in the U.S anyways)

I think a bigger reason might be that cloth backed diapers are quieter and thus, easier to conceal, since they are designed for clients who are genuinely incontinent rather than for those of us who wear for a very different reason.

there could also be environmental issues at stake. Clothlike probably breaks down better than plastic.

I agree with giantguy99 that production costs is probably the biggest factor. Most medical diapers are made on a much larger scale and bought more often when compared to AB "designer" diapers. And more often than not they're bought in bigger bulks (think a hospital buying them for all their patients) and paid for by medical insurance companies so companies that sell medical diapers have even more incentive to cut costs which is why many (but not all) medical diapers are starting to become far less superior in performance when compared to AB diapers. As oppose to us here that are willing to shell out the extra dinero to get the best of the best, lol.

Dogboy and Bambinod bring up other points too that I think also attribute the decrease in plastic backed diapers, but I think the costs per unit are the main factor.

Tena has gone back to plastic.
Environmental 'issues' what utter tosh.

bambinod said:
there could also be environmental issues at stake. Clothlike probably breaks down better than plastic.
I wouldn't say so, the cloth like diapers have a lining that covers a layer of plastic. Even if it's breathable, there's still plastic. Disposables will always have some type of waterproof covering. Some have no plastic on the wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back