Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being incontinent as a kid...

Default Being incontinent as a kid...

So I'm just wondering, what was it like for you guys growing up incontinent?

I personally remember my childhood being a constant stream of embarrassment and feeling ashamed at not being able to use the toilet like the other kids. My family kind of treated me as the 'baby' of the household even though I wasn't the youngest kid there, and constantly told me off when I wet the bed or my pants. I've never really been out of nappies for an extended period of time, but there were a few times my parents 'rewarded' me by letting me out of them, of course this made it much more embarrassing when I wet myself and there was nothing to absorb it!!! I would sometimes ask for stuff like games consoles, or to go to see a film and theyd just say 'oh no, that stuff is for the big kids!!' School life wasn't much better. For PE I usually had to change my clothes in another room so no one would see the diaper, but it was pretty much always obvious that my butt was padded thanks to the annoyingly small shorts they made us wear for the uniform. I got asked about it a lot by people, and once got pantsed wearing a diaper, something which followed me through pretty much the whole year. Sleepovers were impossible for me, I had to avoid them like the plague (and the one time I did have a sleepover my nappy ended up leaking at night so I got my friends other bed completely soaked... luckily his mum cleared it up without him seeing!) there were a few other times other kids found out , usually I got mocked horribly since kids can be pretty cruel... I did make one friend who had similar problems to me (though only at night, not 24/7 like me) and we bonded a little over that. Overall though I think my childhood could have been a lot better, and it caused me to develop depression and self esteem issues that I'm only getting out of now.

Hey there Derek, tough road to have travelled, sorry for that. Many here dream of a life padded 24/7 but as you've experienced that's not always as awesome as it sounds.

Fortunately I only experienced bed wetting as a kid, but I can full remember the embarrassment of friends coming over and jumping on my 'crinkly' bed etc. no nappies for me just constant wet beds to deal with. I was lucky I guess, the last one I recall was when I was about 16.

Had a few close calls and minor accidents at sleepovers, though mostly at family's places. A couple of times I flooded my sleeping bag on a scout camp (I still don't know how I managed to conceal that lol.

It's weird actually that my parents wouldn't use pull-ups or something cause it would have been way easier, but mostly they just hassled me and would say crap like if you don't stop this you'll have to go back in nappies. Hahaha rediculous threat, actually it would have been better.

Hey Derek,

That sounds really rough man. I never had any major problems like that but I do remember having accidents up to about 8 or 9 messing my pants at school. While I never got teased for something like that I did get bullied for other things such as my eyes, they way I walked (I have cerebral palsy to an extent.) along with other things. Reading this I wish I could have been friends with you; kids who get bullied need to stick together!

I used to ped my bed until my mid teens - gradually got less frequent as I got older. I also had accident during the day sometimes.

I did wet bed growing up. It wasn't a big deal in my house. Whenever I wake up in the middle of the night wet, I'd just go into the bathroom, grab some towels and lay them over the wet spot, change underwear/pajamas, and go back to bed. In the morning, I'd take the sheets to the laundry room so my mom can wash them. There wasn't any Goodnites in the 80's so there was no shame for being a bedwetter.

I never had good bladder control as a kid. I wet the bed most every night and often had\wet pants in the day time. It was no secret and I got a lot of stick from other kids. It didn't help I guess because I just didn't care. Having a wet bed or wet pants never bothered me in the slightest which used to infuriate my folks and was a great source of amusement for my sister who was completely dry and out of nappies at two.
    My pants wetting stopped by the time I was 11 but I continued wetting my bed right up to the end of my teens.

Never had good control as a kid--wasn't potty trained until five, still had loads of accidents during the day and wet the bed regularly. Was even back in diapers during the day when I was eight for a short while after a lot of changes in our lives (parent's divorce, three moves, and mom remarrying). Wasn't really out of night diapers until somewhere around ten, then back in them at sixteen, and my control has steadily declined to where I'm now in them 24/7.

Other kids were very cruel about it when they found I was still diapered. Of course, back in the 70's when this was occurring, bullying wasn't seen as such a major issue as it is today, and embarrassment and humiliation were seen as valid ways of motivating children's behaviors. I think the only time I remember having an adult stick up for me with regards to my diapers was my third-grade teacher; we had just moved (third move) and I was in the third school in less than a year. The school principal wanted to move me to special ed classes because I was still in diapers, the teacher stood up to him and refused since I was one of the top students in her class.

I never could be potty trained and was never out of diapers, it was tough for me too.

Quote Originally Posted by ozbub View Post
    Hey there Derek, tough road to have travelled, sorry for that. Many here dream of a life padded 24/7 but as you've experienced that's not always as awesome as it sounds.

Fortunately I only experienced bed wetting as a kid, but I can full remember the embarrassment of friends coming over and jumping on my 'crinkly' bed etc. no nappies for me just constant wet beds to deal with. I was lucky I guess, the last one I recall was when I was about 16.

Had a few close calls and minor accidents at sleepovers, though mostly at family's places. A couple of times I flooded my sleeping bag on a scout camp (I still don't know how I managed to conceal that lol.

It's weird actually that my parents wouldn't use pull-ups or something cause it would have been way easier, but mostly they just hassled me and would say crap like if you don't stop this you'll have to go back in nappies. Hahaha rediculous threat, actually it would have been better.
    Hey Derek

Sorry to hear you had such a hard time with it as a child.

I was a bed wetter until 15 yo as well and ozbub's post is almost exactly what I it was like for me only I avoided sleepovers and camps because of the bed wetting.

I did have a problem with a bully at school when he found out that I was a bed wetter, which I still don't know how he did but he told everyone in my class. I did try to deny it but I guess the look on my face said it all and I never lived it down until I left school when I was 16.

Pull ups were not around back then and but I still don't understand why I wasn't put in a nappy. My mother did try to a couple of times but never went on with it.

I had quite a few pants wetting episodes until 7th grade , wet the bed most of that time two, got picked on in school for being a pants wetter even though it really only happened a few times a year after the first or 2nd grade..kids are cruel and like elephants they never forget ..my class size was only about 16 so it was same kids my whole school life.