Status
Not open for further replies.

PlotTwist

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Hey all,
I used to hit the gym 3-4 times a week back in the day and was in far better shape than I am now. Life got in the way and I stopped going as much, but I've been wanting to go back lately. Problem is... I'm incontinent now, so that makes it tough. I've thought about it... maybe I could try extra hard to fully empty my bladder right before a workout (sometimes works, sometimes does not, kind of a big risk), and also I seem to have developed a new problem where I constantly dribble all the time.

I wear Abena M4s 24/7, so that might make it a bit tough to go for a run, or anything involving lots of leg movement. Could you guys offer up any suggestions, tricks, what diapers to try, clothing, etc? I'm a guy and don't really care if people can see my diaper, although it would be best to keep it discreet, obviously.

I'm sure others can give better advice since I'm still new to buying and wearing diapers, but the Walgreens Certainty fitted briefs are pretty discrete, comfortable, and do not at all limit your range of motion. They also are surprisingly absorbent for their size and thinness.

To be honest I'm new to the whole incontinence thing, I only knew the recreational side to it. I keep using the M4s because I like them, and they work well for avoiding leaks, but I am surely going to have to change when summertime heat comes around though. I guess starting with something slimmer might be a good plan.

I mostly want to avoid getting nasty and sweaty. Maybe that's what the cloth-like backed diapers are good for? lol.

PlotTwist said:
To be honest I'm new to the whole incontinence thing, I only knew the recreational side to it. I keep using the M4s because I like them, and they work well for avoiding leaks, but I am surely going to have to change when summertime heat comes around though. I guess starting with something slimmer might be a good plan.

I mostly want to avoid getting nasty and sweaty. Maybe that's what the cloth-like backed diapers are good for? lol.

I agree about the cloth backed. I think it will be the best option.

I've done squats and leg presses in dry 24/7's, Bambino's and a couple other premium diapers. It's better when they're dry or you could just wear something thinner. I hate running so I can't comment on that aspect.

This is why I am really missing the Tena Slip Maxis (plastic, landing zone) and eagerly awaiting the Tena Active Slip's (plastic, dual tapes) availability in the US...I'm not incontinent, and I'm no expert, but the TSM's were by far the comfiest diapers I have ever worn, and was the diaper with the most mobility when running with my dogs. If they do become available in the US, I would gladly start wearing while exercising, but for now, I'll stick to boxer briefs :p

Last edited:
I'm not incontinent but have some experience exercising in diapers.

The biggest problem I had with exercise while diapered was with squats, which I always do to full depth (ATG). I found that the pressure on the diaper's plastic backing often became too great, and the diaper would split. The result was bits of diaper fluff all over my sweatpants. If I had wet when this happened (which I didn't), the diaper would have given me zero protection.

If squats are part of your program, it might be a good idea to wear loose-fitting plastic pants over your diaper, so you'll have a backup plan if this happens to you. You might not need to do this if you are doing squats to less than full depth. You probably don't need to do this if you are doing full-depth squats with just your body weight. The blowouts happen when there's weight on the bar.

I also have experience cycling in diapers. For short distances (under ten miles or so), it's totally comfortable if you get the right fit. Abena M4s are too thick. They will push your knees out into a position that makes pedaling unnatural. The padding on cheap store-brand diapers is too narrow. It will bunch up in a really uncomfortable place. But the padding on the old Abena M3s (the plastic-backed ones) was just right. Biking in them felt just like biking with regular bike shorts, only with more plastic. I imagine the same is true of the new Abena M3s, but I haven't tried.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, it's a great help. I'll check out the one-level-below the M4s in a few brands to see what works. I normally try to focus on the treadmill or the ellipticals for cardio, so the padding is surely something to worry about. I just hope the "cloth-like" backing on them doesn't chafe too much. I could also always try A+ level 3, as they're plastic backed. I really wish the Tena Active Slips would get here!

If you apply your tapes right then you will retain full range of motion. Next time you diaper up try placing your bottom tapes higher. They should be completely level or even point upwards slightly. Tape them snug not tight. You shouldn't have to pull them much at all to get the right fit. Nearly all of my experience is with abena. I used to have restrictive issues and then I tried taping them this way and the result was fantastic. They still hold great and don't leak until really too full.

- - - Updated - - -

https://youtu.be/QF8Ctbco7Xo seeing this video helped me. It's in a different language but it's by abena. I can't quite get my top tape to go the way they do but we all fit a little different. Anyhow it's that bottom tape that's most important and most restrictive. Try it

Instead of running try something else for cardio like a rowing machine or bike. As far as doing a workout in a diaper running would seem to be the one thing that would clash badly with diapers. What about just wearing cloth backed pullup style padding; they should handle some dribble during a run then just change right after into something for the rest of your workout. A 3 mile run won't take too long, even a cheap slip on should last. It's bad for your body to run more than 3 miles a day anyway.

That is a good idea, switch out to something small and back again. I was going to try to run another 5K later this year, but nothing more than that. I'll try a thinner high-quality pullup for that (I've had awful experience with cheap pullups when I'd forgotten to reorder M4s).

askmelater47 said:
https://youtu.be/QF8Ctbco7Xo seeing this video helped me. It's in a different language but it's by abena. I can't quite get my top tape to go the way they do but we all fit a little different. Anyhow it's that bottom tape that's most important and most restrictive. Try it

This is quite helpful too, thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm gonna be ordering lots of samples from XP Medical, lol

Last edited:
I didn't see it mentioned yet that I've used are Depend Guards. They're small and would be good I think for small amounts of leakage. I got into wearing them because when I use the bathroom, not everything comes out and it comes out over time in small spurts. It would depend on what kind of quantity you need to hold while you're working out as to whether or not it'd work well for you.

This might be a little off topic but I just got home from a great workout at the gym and I put on my fave disposable, Northshore Supreme. I pee about 3-4 times in the hour following the workout (makes sense due to extreme liquid intake) and I was curious to see how the post workout volume was. I went immediately after getting diapered and what I noticed was my pee was SUPER HOT. Guess that means my core temp is way up too and peed again 10 minutes later, big volume, still hot. Standing by for next need to go.

The most important thing to remember is just because you’re incontinent does not mean you can’t use the toilet!

You go to the gym for a limited amount of time, so you don't need major protection. When getting ready to head to the gym, EMPTY YOUR BLADDER! Then put on a diaper/pullup that is thin, soft, pliable, and fits you extremely well for gym purposes. I like the Abena Abri-Wing, as it’s thin, absorbent enough to handle anything except a major flood, and both the padding and cover are very soft and pliable. They are also extremely high cut, so it does not interfere with running, cycling, or squatting.

Pull on a pair of compression shorts or snug boxer briefs with lycra. The shorts/boxer briefs prevent chafing… with or without a diaper. They also keep the diaper up close and snug to the body through a long, hard workout, keep your diaper from showing, and provide a smooth, natural profile under your gym clothes. I use to use Under Armour compression shorts, but now use the Under Armour 6" Boxerjock. The Boxerjock provides a hint of compression, and the extra fabric for the fly allows better groin coverage (less chafe) and does not over compress the groin. Finish getting dressed and go to the gym immediately.

You can also apply Bond’s Body Powder to the inner thighs before pulling on shorts/boxer briefs if needed.

When you get to the gym, go to the restroom and EMPTY YOUR BLADDER IN THE TOILET! Even if you don’t think you need to, EMPTY YOUR BLADDER! GO EMPTY IT! Another reason I like the Abena Abri-Wing… it allows easier access for the urinal or toilet.

Now do your workout. There’s no chance of having a heavy void. You’re well protected against minor dribbles when straining. And no one has a clue you’re wearing a diaper.

Hydrate as required, but do not over hydrate during your workout. You know what your wetting pattern is like. If need be, take a break mid workout to go to the restroom and EMPTY YOUR BLADDER IN THE TOILET. When you finish your workout go to the restroom and EMPTY YOUR BLADDER IN THE TOILET, so as not to flood while going home.

When you get home, change into an appropriate diaper.

CheshireCat said:
The most important thing to remember is just because you’re incontinent does not mean you can’t use the toilet!

You go to the gym for a limited amount of time, so you don't need major protection. When getting ready to head to the gym, EMPTY YOUR BLADDER! Then put on a diaper/pullup that is thin, soft, pliable, and fits you extremely well for gym purposes. I like the Abena Abri-Wing, as it’s thin, absorbent enough to handle anything except a major flood, and both the padding and cover are very soft and pliable. They are also extremely high cut, so it does not interfere with running, cycling, or squatting.

Pull on a pair of compression shorts or snug boxer briefs with lycra. The shorts/boxer briefs prevent chafing… with or without a diaper. They also keep the diaper up close and snug to the body through a long, hard workout, keep your diaper from showing, and provide a smooth, natural profile under your gym clothes. I use to use Under Armour compression shorts, but now use the Under Armour 6" Boxerjock. The Boxerjock provides a hint of compression, and the extra fabric for the fly allows better groin coverage (less chafe) and does not over compress the groin. Finish getting dressed and go to the gym immediately.

You can also apply Bond’s Body Powder to the inner thighs before pulling on shorts/boxer briefs if needed.

When you get to the gym, go to the restroom and EMPTY YOUR BLADDER IN THE TOILET! Even if you don’t think you need to, EMPTY YOUR BLADDER! GO EMPTY IT! Another reason I like the Abena Abri-Wing… it allows easier access for the urinal or toilet.

Now do your workout. There’s no chance of having a heavy void. You’re well protected against minor dribbles when straining. And no one has a clue you’re wearing a diaper.

Hydrate as required, but do not over hydrate during your workout. You know what your wetting pattern is like. If need be, take a break mid workout to go to the restroom and EMPTY YOUR BLADDER IN THE TOILET. When you finish your workout go to the restroom and EMPTY YOUR BLADDER IN THE TOILET, so as not to flood while going home.

When you get home, change into an appropriate diaper.

This is very good advice, I try to go to the restroom every 60-90 minutes even if I don't feel I have to go. When I am the gym, I drink a lot of water, so I usually go every 30-45 minutes, after each phase of my 3-part workout.

That's excellent advice, Cheshire! Thanks :)

PlotTwist said:
That's excellent advice, Cheshire! Thanks :)

I wear 24/7 due to IBS & OAB for the past 5+ years. I run, go to the gym three days a week and don't have any issues even changing (my clothes) in the locker room. Cheshire gives great advice. I spend about hour and half to two working out and use my diaper and don't stop my work out. Finding the right diaper, along with sliding a pair of brief underwear to go over really helps along with compression shorts or some 3/4 pants that Nike is making for men now. The best underwear I have are like Lycra material that are smooth. If you have more questions let me know. I hate typing and prefer chatting but don't mind at all answering any questions if it will help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back