ABU Super Dry Kids v2 / Cushies v2 Review

Fruitkitty

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
Adult Baby Universe (ABU) has overhauled its Super Dry Kids (SDK) and Cushies diapers, and the changes are significant enough to append a "version 2" label to their names. While ABU has been making incremental upgrades to these products since the advent of its new management, with this iteration they're advertising a 25% thicker, 60% more absorbent diaper with better plastic backsheet.

I am reviewing the medium size Super Dry Kids V2 and Cushies V2 as provided in May 2015. The medium size is listed as fitting waists of 31"-36", the large is listed as fitting waists of 36"-46", and the extra-large is listed as fitting waists of 46"-52".

Appearance, Size, and Features

The Super Dry Kids has a printed front landing zone printed with a repeating pattern of bears with balloons and parachutes. It is based on a late 1990s Pampers Baby Dry design, with a print that is almost identical but with the addition of letters into the image and a change to the printed text. The diaper's outside is white otherwise. Version 2 changes the colors on the bears to pastel colors which now closely match the original design.

Cushies have an all-over print, with purple sizes, purple outlined icons with smiley faces on the white center, and a landing zone that features colored versions of the icons on an otherwise transparent panel. It's a generically babyish design.

Both diapers have added the ABU logo to the margins of their repeating patterns.

276-1-FrontFolded.JPG

276-2-BackFolded.JPG

Front and Back of Folded Diapers, Respectively

Comparing the new and old versions of the SDK, there are obvious differences. The new version is clearly thicker by look and feel. The difference in the colors on the print are immediately noticeable. The inner blue core of the old version is gone, further serving to bring the SDK in line with the original Pampers design which had an all-white core. To the touch, the new plastic cover feels much more substantial as opposed to old version's thin tissue-paper feel.

276-13-FrontChange.JPG

276-14-ThicknessChange.JPG

Print and Thickness of SDK V2 and V1, Respectively

To test their dry thickness, I stacked three diapers on top of each other and placed a heavy book on top of them, and measured their height. Together, the 3 diapers had a height of approximately 12.6 cm (4.9 in). Thus, the dry thickness of a single folded diaper is 4.2 cm (1.6 in). This definitely stands up to the advertised claim of being 25% thicker than version 1 – in fact, it's close to 1.5x as thick by my measurements.

276-3-stacked.JPG

3 Diapers Stacked

The Super Dry Kids uses a single-tape system that is unusual on an adult diaper. The tapes are much wider than typical tapes, perhaps being half the width of the landing zone. I measured them to be 7.0 cm (2.8 in). This part of the diaper does not appear to have changed noticeably from the first version.

It's not obvious what the best height is to put them on the landing zone, though the pictures ABU has posted advertising the diapers show them offset a bit towards the bottom. This gives a fairly normal fit around the legs but gives a very loose top edge. I found that having a much thicker profile made it harder to get a tight fit at the top with this diaper's single tape because there was more bulging-out below.

Once stuck, the tapes adhere very tightly. It takes a bit of a tug to get them off.

276-4-tapes.JPG

The Tapes

The plastic backing feels soft and moderately thick. It has a muted crinkle to it. The landing zone is glossy and has much more friction than the rest of the diaper.

The inside of the diaper is all white and has standing leak guards. The padding is arranged in an hourglass shape that is more asymmetric than in version 1. The padding has somewhat-packed cotton feel to it. It has an elastic waistband in the back, but not the front.

276-5-outside.JPG

276-6-inside.JPG

276-11-outside2.JPG

276-12-inside2.JPG

Front and Back of Unfolded Diaper

With the diaper outstretched, it measures 73.8 cm (29 in) in length, 66.5 cm (26.2 in) in width at the wings, 28.8 cm (11.3 in) in width at the center, and 22.7 cm (8.5 in) in width between the leak guards.

276-7-length.JPG

276-8-widthwing.JPG

276-9-widthcenter.JPG

Performance and Fit

To test the capacity of this diaper quantitatively, I ran a test to simulate use. I put a diaper on and then repeatedly poured water into the front of it in 100 mL increments and sitting down in a chair for 30 seconds each time to give the diaper a chance to absorb the liquid, pace the process, and see if it would leak when sitting.

After 1000 mL of water, it began to feel like I was sitting in a puddle. At 1100 mL, the diaper felt like it was actively spreading my legs apart. At 1400 mL, I noticed wetness around the leg on one side. At 1500 mL, the diaper leaked on my chair and I ended the test. The tapes stuck in place throughout the test.

This new version is advertised as having a 60% increase in raw capacity, and my result suggests a practical increase of at least a third, if not half. It's a definitely a dramatic increase. Moreover, the new backsheet completely eliminated the beading-through issue I had noted on in my review of the previous version. With this overhaul, this diaper now tests similarly to a fairly typical "premium" diaper.

After the test, I measured the diaper and it had expanded to roughly 10.5 cm (4.2 in), about 2.5x its original size.

276-10-heightfull.JPG

Dry Diaper Next to Full Diaper After Quantitative Test

To gather qualitative data for this review, I put on a fresh diaper and wore it while going about ordinary activities. The diaper lasted about 5 hours before leaking, over which time I had several moderate wettings but did not flood it.

I have a 36" waist which typically puts me in the ideal range for medium diapers. The SDK/Cushies Version 2 list 36" as the dividing line between medium and large, which surprises me, given that the diaper did not feel like a much smaller fit than version 1, for which I was well within the range for mediums.

The diaper does fit differently given its one-tape system. Notably, there's a huge gap between the top of the padding and the top of the backsheet – the top edge of the diaper extends 8.0 cm (3.2 in) above the top of the padding. This compensates for the fact that there's no upper tapes to keep the top of the diaper taut, but it wears floppy and loose. It doesn't stay flush with the skin in front at all. I found it awkward and uncomfortable.

Price and Final Thoughts

I received these diapers for the purposes of a review from https://www.abuniverse.com. Initial orders are limited to 10- and 20-pack quantities, with 40-pack half-cases and 80-pack full-cases to be available in March 2016. Pricing for SDK V2 is $32.99/10, $59.99/20, $78.99/40, and $134.99/80. Pricing for Cushies V2 is slightly higher at $34.99/10, $64.99/20, 84.99/40, and $139.99/80. Prices include shipping, and there's an option to add a scent for $5 more per pack.

At the case size, this comes to $1.68/diaper for SDKs and $1.75/diaper for Cushies. This is a 10-20% increase from the final prices on V1 SDKs and Cushies, and prices them above non-ABDL diapers, but towards the lower end of the range for ABDL diapers.

The old versions were expensive for their capacity. The new version is far more competitive, reaching capacity more in line with "premium" diapers, but falls somewhere in the middle of the pack in price for performance. Moreover, this diaper is a good demonstration of why adult diapers typically have at least 2 tapes – it was difficult to have the legs sufficiently tight without having the top end up very loose and vice versa. This diaper has a very idiosyncratic fit, and I suspect it varies a lot more person-to-person than the typical diaper.

Where these diapers shine, however, is in the authenticity of the designs. This is especially true for the SDK - you can't beat an actual baby diaper design at authenticity, and the changes to better match the original 90s design are welcome. Though a single-tape design presents challenges, actual baby diapers are single-tape and for some, having that feature is a high priority. Up until this point, that meant dramatically lowering expectations on functionality. Version 2 of SDKs and Cushies succeeds at being the first widely-available single-tape "premium" capacity diaper.

• Love
Reactions: MegaLugia, dl015, ElPulpo and 4 others
I swear, I'm getting some USA import diapers some day >:I!!
I'm so curious about the two-tape system!

TyphaHare said:
I swear, I'm getting some USA import diapers some day >:I!!
I'm so curious about the two-tape system!

Your best bet is probably Nappies 'R Us in the UK. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than getting them shipped transatlantic.

Akastus said:
Your best bet is probably Nappies 'R Us in the UK. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than getting them shipped transatlantic.

Thank you for the tip!! This is a new one :) I've seen some US diapers at ADBLfactory, gotta compare where I can get them better..!

Is there any place other than their site where I can get these? and how reliable is the shipping have they improved their past problems that I heard about here?

Howdy, If you order them anywhere other than our site, you're just buying from a middleman. I'm the new owner, and I can promise you that our shipping is fast, discreet and we're very reliable. Just do some quick research on us and you'll find a lot of reviews past April of 2015. -Casey :)

Reactions: WillieSmalls
babymt said:
Nappiesrus seem to still have the original version.

They now have V2 and got 2 packs cushies coming later today :cool:

nice review very informative :detective3

I just got an order of cushies sdk and lavender v2 in today and I must say. This is one of the best diapers I've ever tried. It's only my first one ever and admittedly I wasn't sure about where to stick the tapes but after like 3 readjustments I settled around the upper middle my tapes face just slightly downwards. I'm wearing a medium and I have a 32 pants size. It's held like 5 full wettings and has swollen up soo much. I had a minor leak from the right leg gather in the middle of my 4th wetting and on my 5th I decided to pull the sides close to me during the act. I think this diaper shines most with press-out. The press-out is so minimal I feel like I'm sitting on a phone book. I haven't had anything leak from sitting until this 5th wetting. But now as I lay down it's all relatively secure. I love this diaper it's soo comfortable. Boy does it swell though I was waddling after the first use and now I can't even touch my legs together.

Interestingly enough, I actually find that the single tapes on these fit me better than double tapes. If I tape them right on my hip bones, they feel incredibly secure. I always feel like the double tapes get a loose spot in between the tapes. I'm fairly slender, which may be the reason the single tapes work so well for me.

Can i buy them in a store? I always loved that fresh smell of pampers:)

askmelater47 said:
I just got an order of cushies sdk and lavender v2 in today and I must say. This is one of the best diapers I've ever tried. It's only my first one ever and admittedly I wasn't sure about where to stick the tapes but after like 3 readjustments I settled around the upper middle my tapes face just slightly downwards. I'm wearing a medium and I have a 32 pants size. It's held like 5 full wettings and has swollen up soo much. I had a minor leak from the right leg gather in the middle of my 4th wetting and on my 5th I decided to pull the sides close to me during the act. I think this diaper shines most with press-out. The press-out is so minimal I feel like I'm sitting on a phone book. I haven't had anything leak from sitting until this 5th wetting. But now as I lay down it's all relatively secure. I love this diaper it's soo comfortable. Boy does it swell though I was waddling after the first use and now I can't even touch my legs together.
That's a lot of wettings. I only wet each diaper once.

Sent from my U673C using Tapatalk

I had high hopes for the v2 release but I must say I’m not a big fan of these !!
#1- the wings of the diaper hang to low on the side of legs making the diaper resemble “granny panties”.
#2- the shape of the padding on the front and back of the diaper is to rounded giving the look of dog bone shape in the diaper. It should be more squared or boxed like version1 was that gave it that baby diaper authentic look to it.
#3- not a lot of crinkle to it either.
It’s seems as all diapers from every company is the same just different prints on them and some are just a tad thicker than others.
Casey if you read this post please consider bringing back the version 1 sdk.
The v1 just needed to be thicker !
It also stood out from all other diapers as being the perfect pamper replica.
You’ve done a great job with Abu and I think your customer service is excellent , I’m sure you will receive a lot of praise from a lot of ab/dls if you bring back a thicker sdk v1 back.😄

Ouch, after the medium SDK's not being available in Europe, they finally were in stock. So I wanted to order them but there as a suprise in the cart. You see, over here in the EU it's a law that everything has to be sold including VAT so when looking at the price of a bag at 19.95 euro's I assumed it was including VAT. But at the checkout it shows it will add 20% VAT making a bag of 10 23.95 euro. So 2.40 euro a piece.

When looking at Save, the original Fabines sell for 16 euro for 8 and the new mega booster version for 18 euro for 8 that makes 2 and 2.25 euro a piece.

Tykables: Waddlers (medium) 20.32 for 10 makes 2.03 euro a piece.

Rears: Rebel/Safari/Princess (medium) 25.99 for 12 = 2.17 a piece

and the SDK's direct competitor (not as good fitting though) Lil Squirts Inspire Select / Vintage style 20 euro for 12 = 1.67 euro

And Crinklz: Aquanaut/Astronaut 18.88 for 15 = 1.26 euro (the normal Crinklz is 1.20 euro).

So sorry ABU, except for the looks that is no reason to buy most of your diapers in Europe...

I do not like the SDK v2 The new core shape is terrible, does not fit as well as v1. The length of the tapes have been a problem in both versions, need to add at least another inch. I cut the tapes off of every diaper and my own 2 tape system for a proper fit and secure tapes. I think if ABU lengthens their tapes they would be perfect, but to me the new core shape is a step backwards.

Bought a case of sdk’s lately, and they have changed their design again. The core is different and is taller up the front. Not a fan of it. Anyone else find this?

Since I last posted on this thread, I have bought both these diapers, and because I am a round person (not only by fat, but shape overall and the shape of my muscle) the two-tape system fits me really well.
I absolutely love these diapers. Never got to try version one, but I don't mind. These are perfect. I'm a 90's kid, so the old Pampers-lookalike motif is just amazing. I don't get these very often, so I cherish each I get to wear ;)

TyphaHare said:
I'm a 90's kid, so the old Pampers-lookalike motif is just amazing. I don't get these very often, so I cherish each I get to wear ;)

Same here! I'm spacing these out for the times they would really add to the experience.

I hadn't had a two tape design before, which was a little awkward at first, but everything else about the SDKs are an overwhelming positive for me.

Reactions: TyphaHare
Back