Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llayden

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
So this morning I was going through my usual routine and I became curious if my habit was unique, although I doubt it is. Every morning I'm usually wet when I wake up. I usually use Abena M-4's or NorthShore Supremes as my overnight. A few nights a week are lighter/more dry than others.

On the drier mornings, if my diaper is only damp or maybe up to 1/3 used (just the area between the legs maybe) I will shimmy out of the diaper, fold it up like a pair of underwear and store it in the bathroom. First thing I do when I get home from school is I'll change out of my daytime protection and back into the damp overnight after sprinkling baby powder in it (it helps when shimmying back into it and removes any feeling of dampness). At this point it'll probably only last an hour or two more as my bladder will usually release when I get home when my Diet Coke habit catches up to me.

I know some people may find it a bit dirty, but I never have for some reason? I grew up wetting the bed with only a plastic sheet for protection. I guess after growing up like that all the way into mid/late teens (waking up in my own urine, cold and wet) I have no misgivings about putting back on a slightly damp diaper.

It's not really any dirtier than sitting around in a wet diaper when you stop and think about it. As for me though, when I put a diaper on, most of the time it stays on until it's at capacity or leaking.

I can say that I have done this before. Only for economical reasons, not social responsibility.

BlizzardKid said:
Only for economical reasons, not social responsibility.

Same, but I've realized recently that the savings in garbage space is undeniable.

While I frequently fold and store dry used diapers for reuse later, I've never set aside a wet one for reuse. My skin is too prone to problems for me to get lax with my hygene. And I've gotten mild UTIs from similar situations in the past. Not saying everyone needs to be this way, that's just what's necessary for me.

I have done this before. But I like diapers. I would never save a saturated diaper, but I get your point. I've been less akin to doing this recently because I have plenty and don't need to reuse. What's kept me from doing so lately has been the diaper's refasten-ability. If I can't put it back on with the original tapes then I'm less inclined to save it. Even the most robust tapes wear out after a time. And whenever I find myself thinking of saving one it has been after an extended wear (like overnight) when the diaper didn't get much use but the thing has been stretched all to hell.

I certainly don't think this is a bad idea, though.

The thought of a cold, wet diaper doesn't do much for me, but what you do with your own fluids and in your own pants is beyond my judgement. As long as you're not exhuming poopy baby diapers from a dumpster, we're good.

Cottontail said:
As long as you're not exhuming poopy baby diapers from a dumpster, we're good.

Okay, this is funny. And I totally agree ;)

Cottontail said:
The thought of a cold, wet diaper doesn't do much for me...

I'm not sure what it's supposed to do for me either? It is merely a measure of practicality. When you wear every night, those barely used products are such a waste and can really add up; a waste of money, space, and material.

I don't like to save a partly used diaper, but if I've worn for a while and the diaper is dry, I'll take it off, refold the tapes against the plastic, and reuse it again later. I tend to avoid wearing a diaper at all if I think I'll wet it only a little but not have time for full use, though.

I would certainly not do this, like Cottontail said; cold and wet diaper is not very appealing idea.
If I absolutely HAD to do this, I'd put a baby diaper or a stuffer inside so I at least wasn't in direct contact with the used surface.

There is all sort of yeast, bacteria, microbes and mold which takes hold of the diaper in a while. I don't want to have contact with any of those.

Note said:
You are exposed to some of that the second waist leaves your body. But I don't like the idea of it either, so no, I don't reuse used nappies...

Urine is practically germ-free, actually. It's the spores in the air and in the diaper padding that start to "blossom" after a few hours!
If there are any microbes/bacteria in your urine, it will take a while for it to start budding and growing in the padding of the diaper, as it's much more better place to live than in the bladder, which really tries to keep the bacteria in it to the absolute minimum.

Also, I do not have mold or fungus spores inside my bladder for sure!!! Those will start to grow after getting introduced to the mix of warmth and moisture!

I find it gross to use a diaper for later because what happens is, the pee odor gets stronger and then the diaper smells and it's uncomfortable to put it back on and there is that strong smell when you use it again. But however if it's been unused, no poop or pee, I will reuse it again.

I suppose it's not so rational that I can wear a wet diaper for, say four hours and not bat an eye but I think it'd be gross to wet it, take it off for two of those hours and then put it back on. Still, my desire for diapers isn't rational in the first place, so I'm going to go with it. Knock yourself out but when I take a diaper off, I'm done.

For me, the answer is just to pick the diaper appropriate to how long I intend to wear. I can't hardly feel bad about changing out of a cheap diaper whenever it happens.

I have to admit that I have put on a damp diaper at times , no different then a damp bed .. you get used to it

I wet the bed and there's no way I could do that.

I don't like staying in a wet diaper for more than a couple hours anyway, but in taking it off, leaving it for several hours, and putting it back on you've given the urine a lot more time to break down into harsher things (ammonia) that will irritate the skin (diaper rash). Not to mention the additional bacteria growth.

If you've done it without problems, I guess there's no reason to stop, but it's not something I'm about to start doing for sure.

I have done this before, and I have done and tried many other things before. So if I was to only wet a diaper a little, to where it was hardly even used. I might save it. This is typically a pretty rare occurrence though as I usually keep the diaper on till it's pretty much what I would consider used. I also don't like to save the diapers in those circumstances, but when you have such a limited supply it most certainly does seem wasteful. So even if I don't like to do it, I still would if it means not wasting.

TyphaHare said:
There is all sort of yeast, bacteria, microbes and mold which takes hold of the diaper in a while. I don't want to have contact with any of those.

You're always coming into contact with that kind of stuff. Wearing a diaper and wetting in it and keeping it on for any length of time, or saving a diaper that might be a little wet to wear later ... practically the same thing. But anyway, we have this wonderful invention ... it was made specifically for the issue of being dirty and needing a way to clean ourselves. It's called a shower.

As long as you are keeping yourself clean and showering often, it really shouldn't be a concern. It also would be even less of a concern if you had many products like baby wipes and other skin / diaper care products.

Trevor said:
For me, the answer is just to pick the diaper appropriate to how long I intend to wear. I can't hardly feel bad about changing out of a cheap diaper whenever it happens.
I see, but not everyone has such great luxury having a variety of diapers to choose from for each situation lol :p
Though I suppose if I had a variety to choose from, I would do the same as you.

brabbit1987 said:
You're always coming into contact with that kind of stuff. Wearing a diaper and wetting in it and keeping it on for any length of time, or saving a diaper that might be a little wet to wear later ... practically the same thing. But anyway, we have this wonderful invention ... it was made specifically for the issue of being dirty and needing a way to clean ourselves. It's called a shower.

As long as you are keeping yourself clean and showering often, it really shouldn't be a concern. It also would be even less of a concern if you had many products like baby wipes and other skin / diaper care products.

No skin care products or showers help when a fungal infestation into the skin, I'm afraid.
Staying in a wet diaper too long will break your skin (you won't notice the microscopic breaking happening) and this lets ick in. Also, diapers make up for a nice petri dish for bacteria.

Think of it this way; sitting in a petri dish is is not going to be healthy if you take showers inbetween.
Usually diapers lock the moisture in and this protects your skin, the problem is if the diaper gets overly saturated or when those spores that erupt from the yeast, mold and bacteria swarm yo butt.
Barrier creams might slow them down, and shower might wash most of them off (you will never get rid of them, the yeast that causes infections lives in your skin and we NEED it) but if the skin got already broken and they got in, you're just gonna let them blossom next time your skin is too moist and they progress.

I don't think many people actually know much about the lifecycle of microbes?? And how shower does not actually eliminate bacteria, unless you rub antibacterial soap all over.. which would also be a bad idea.

But yeah, I don't think this is a great "sin", to wear an older, a bit wet nappy later on. Just know what you get into. Literally :p! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back