Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Philosophy <V.S> Logic (Which can help us, both or neither)

Default Philosophy <V.S> Logic (Which can help us, both or neither)

Philosophy <V.S> Logic

Order and chaos. These are what both subjects attempt to discuss and define but how can you truly define something that has no form or true conept. The studyof what the universe is, how we solve everyday task to even how we negotiate. What I want to discuss is:

1. how can we come to better people by thinking better of ourselves

2. how can we think outside the box to get better at rationalizing the world

3. Can we find a balance between the two or are they two subjects that will always be at eachothers throat.

MarchinBunny

Quote Originally Posted by tai View Post
    Philosophy <V.S> Logic
    Philosophy and logic are both connected. They work together. You come up with a logical concept about how something may work.

Not sure how to answer this question. Will leave it to someone else I guess.

Rationalizing the world doesn't always amount to anything. You can come up with all sorts of rationalizations and never come to a conclusion unless you are able to test it.

3. Can we find a balance between the two or are they two subjects that will always be at eachothers throat.
    Philosophy and logic are not at each others throat. I think what you mean to say is philosophy vs evidence. Evidence will always trump over ideas that don't have any evidence. They can work together, but individually they fall short. You can come up with ideas and concept, but it will never lead to a conclusion without evidence. You can gather all the evidence in the world, but without those ideas and concept, you would know what too look for.

Quote Originally Posted by brabbit1987 View Post
    Philosophy and logic are both connected. They work together. You come up with a logical concept about how something may work.

Philosophy and logic are not at each others throat. I think what you mean to say is philosophy vs evidence. Evidence will always trump over ideas that don't have any evidence. They can work together, but individually they fall short. You can come up with ideas and concept, but it will never lead to a conclusion without evidence. You can gather all the evidence in the world, but without those ideas and concept, you would know what too look for.
    It does when the human factor comes into account . when entering a debate or any normal conversation our morals come into play what we do and feel all our interactions with other people stems from this belief system we pocess.

also this is an effort to explaining my first question.
    Last edited by tai; 27-Jan-2016 at 23:49.

MarchinBunny

It does when the human factor comes into account . when entering a debate or any normal conversation our morals come into play what we do and feel all our interactions with other people stems from this belief system we pocess.
    Morality is a pretty subjective thing, I simply base my morals on what is beneficial to myself and others. If it harms anyone in anyway, I consider that to be bad. I try to keep things simple and as logical as possible.

I do realize there are cases where you can do something bad, but end up having it have good results. Like say if you where to kill someone like hitler. It becomes pretty difficult at that point to decide what is right and wrong.

Yes but it affects everyone and everything we do directly on indirectly. Like when society has a majority idea of a goal yet no one can agree on a direct path to accomplish it . how can we figure out some new system to do thing to where the majority don't get hurt in the process.

OK now I have to knock the dust of the memory files from "Philosophy of Logic 103" form college back in > (oh my the number keys are not working).

"Logic is the process by which and though which the philosopher gets to where he or she is going." Mayo Rowe Roy student of Dr. McKean.

The issue is that Philosophers know what they are doing and how to do it using the 4 methods of reason and 4 methods of interpretation.

The argument comes in when people that do not have the full knowledge of the process attempt to sound like they do. Then it is a down hill battle from there.

Side note of no importance: I also got in trouble in this class one day before it started and I did not realize that she had walked in via the back door, and I said "OH ya time for more Leibnitz and Bacon on Mc Kean hold the Mayo!"

Philosophy vs. logic? I don't get it. Logic is a subset of philosophy, so you can't have one against the other.

And order isn't juxtaposed against chaos; chaos is ordered complexity. It's different to disorder.

Can we become better people by thinking better of ourselves? I'd say that depends how well you think of yourself in the first place!

Everyone needs some degree of self-esteem, but having too much or too little could lead you to have a warped view of reality. If Donald Trump thought better of himself, he'd probably be even more of a lunatic.

Interesting topic.

Philosophy vs Logic could loosely equal conceptual vs realistic.... but not always...

1. How can we come to better people by thinking better of ourselves?

I'm sure this question borders on emotion rather than philosophy or logic. Simply said: we stand a better chance in helping another if we have first learned to help ourselves. Such is pertinent on the concourse of survival. As a human race we must first have a comprehensive standing in order to teach. Such relevant emotions include love, compassion, confidence, or desire.

We wouldn't exactly be compelled to reach out to help based on logic or philosophy alone.

2. How can we think outside the box to get better at rationalizing the world?

Rationalization is certainly an area of logical thinking. To rationalize we are compartmentalizing and finding elements, thoughts or ideas that connect, intersect, or are congruent in weight or definition.

By thinking outside-the-box in this area we are intending not to solve a puzzle but recreate it; to redefine the rules in which it is 'supposed' to go together. Historical great thinkers such as Plato or Copernicus denied that sets of rules were definite.

3. Can we find a balance between the two or are they two subjects that will always be at eachothers throat?

I believe logic and philosophy are not fully exclusive from each other. In order to further our understanding of philosophy we rely heavily on logic. However logic is not the only catalyst in philosophical directions of thinking. Philosophy can also rely on areas of theology and ethics. Such catalysts as the last two are the most heavily debated with vast varying degrees of accepted notion. They peer and wind into tough areas of religion and human rights.

On the flip side, logic is less reliant upon philosophy to find commonalities. There are common understandings using logic that need no previous learned knowledge such as: Which weighs more: a feather or a cannonball? It would take little logic to guess right even if we did not have all criteria involved in contemplating.

Philosophy, however, could pose yet a tougher question: Which weighs more: The ink from a feather quill pen or the force of a cannonball?

Both are responsible for order and chaos.

A Buddhist perspective: Be careful not to get "stuck" on your rationalizations. It is necessary to rationalize -- to form concepts -- about the world, but it's important not to lose sight of the fact that they are just heuristic concepts. When they are mistaken for truths, you can get bent out of shape, and/or stuck seeing the world through a particular lens.

Hmmm. I kinda feel like while logic and philosophy are part of a balance I think there is a third side to that balance. If philosophy is the spirit and Logic is the mind, what is the body? I've always followed the belief that all three need to work in a state of balance, as to obtain a better understanding of inner peace. My guess as to what said body would be is Instinct. I mean that in both that gut feeling of what to do, and our natural drives.

Philosophy Vs Instinct, being the battle of doing what you feel is right vs. What you feel you want/need to do. I have trouble coming up with a good example for this one, sorry.

Logic Vs instinct, being the battle of well, intuition vs reasoning. Everything you know says that there is no substantial chance of danger from getting on an elevator or aircraft, but yet you feel that inherit sense of danger from it regardless.

Philosophy Vs Logic, being the battle of the "accurate" choice, vs the "right" choice. This conflict I have trouble explaining, but I hope people will know what I mean.

These aspects do have many other areas of conflict, but I believe that through discipline, understanding, and trust that one can get them to be balanced in harmony. These are just my beliefs though, and I'm no guru.