Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Delayed Income Tax Refund Checks

Question Delayed Income Tax Refund Checks

I've heard where a couple states may have to issue IOUs or Promissary Notes to residents instead of refunds due to having budgets way in the red. My state, Maryland, hasn't publicly mentioned any budget problems, but I'm beginning to have a suspicion there may be one. In past years, when I mailed my tax return off by the first few days in Feb., I always received my refund in about 10 days. This year I mailed my taxes off on Feb. 2nd and I haven't gotten my return as of today the 24th. I'm beginning to wonder whether my state is having budget problems they haven't made public. Maybe waiting for some of President Obama's stimulus funds to start flowing into the state before refunds are sent out? Anyone else having doubts about getting their state refunds in as timely a manner as in past years?

~Pramrider

That's why I got my boss to get me my W-2 form early. I e-filed the first day the state accepted them, and got my refund in a week or so. Same thing with my Federal taxes.

Yeah here in Cali the refunds are on hold. I did my tax return in January. I got my Federal a long time ago but not the state.

"The State Controller announced on Thursday, February 19, 2009, that once the budget plan provides the needed cash in the treasury, his office will work around the clock to get delayed payments out the door. Check this website for updated information on the status of the delayed tax refunds."

GIVE ME MY DAMN MONEY!!!!

Well, to be honest, I don't care that much. Last year the state of Indiana sent me a whopping $12.00 refund. I can wait an extra month or two for my medium 1-topping pizza.

We filed in early February and have received Fed, State and City refunds already. State was the first to come in. BTW, this is the first place I have ever lived that has city income taxes and city tax returns.

Here's my thought if I lived in a state that was issuing an IOU for taxes: If they ever sent me a bill or inquiry for tax $$$ I owed them in the future, I'd send them an IOU. Of course, I would state that due to the current personal financial crisis, a payment could not be made at the present time. Damn them all.

You go Diapered Rabbit. My sentiments exactly! Virginia is always slow on getting our checks, though there have been a few years where I have owed. This year they sent us a letter saying we didn't pay anything in 2005. I was furious as they take their pound of flesh out of our income. We had to dredge up all of our past files, and pay to have a copy of the check we used to pay them. Then we had to mail all of this nonsense to them. Finally my wife had to call them on the phone and they said, "Oh, we have your file right here on our desk. We're sorry, we made a mistake." Yeah, sure you did. They were just trying to double charge their working population.

Quote Originally Posted by Diapered Rabbit View Post
    Here's my thought if I lived in a state that was issuing an IOU for taxes: If they ever sent me a bill or inquiry for tax $$$ I owed them in the future, I'd send them an IOU. Of course, I would state that due to the current personal financial crisis, a payment could not be made at the present time. Damn them all.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    You go Diapered Rabbit. My sentiments exactly! Virginia is always slow on getting our checks, though there have been a few years where I have owed. This year they sent us a letter saying we didn't pay anything in 2005. I was furious as they take their pound of flesh out of our income. We had to dredge up all of our past files, and pay to have a copy of the check we used to pay them. Then we had to mail all of this nonsense to them. Finally my wife had to call them on the phone and they said, "Oh, we have your file right here on our desk. We're sorry, we made a mistake." Yeah, sure you did. They were just trying to double charge their working population.
    I read this last night, and I've been thinking about the slime-pit that California finds itself in, what with issuing "IOUs" and all...

Our solution is simple.

Those who do not receive their returns in a timely manner from your STATE should band together and impose a class-action suit on behalf of the citizenry. Damages + court fees + interest. These days, as usury laws seem to have been thrown out, I would be hard-pressed to name an "appropriate" figure for "interest."

Those who find that the FEDERAL returns take longer should follow suit (pun intended).

If I don't pay my taxes, they put a lien against my property. If I'm late in paying taxes, they penalize me and charge interest. I would suggest we act in kind; my mortgage company does not take IOUs as far as I know, nor does my school, butcher, grocer, nor anyone. Why should we?

I'm not typically one for calling people to legal action, but I think the states and federal government needs shaking awake, and a tide of orchestrated lawsuits may be a good pathway to this.

Or go to your employer and tell them not remove any state income taxes from your pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentine View Post
    Or go to your employer and tell them not remove any state income taxes from your pay.
    That'll work for the 2009 tax year, yes.