Status
Not open for further replies.

Schwanensee

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
Hi guys,

I was thinking of trying out baby formula, but a lot of the posts I found on this topic say that baby formula is bad for adults because there's too much iron in it. The thing is, I used to have not enough iron in my blood, it was really severe but is better now, so I thought it might be fine if I use the non-low-iron one.

Does anyone have a more educated medical opinion on that?

Hugs,
Kat

It could be constipation eat some figs dates raisins or prunes to be safe

Tetra said:
It could be constipation eat some figs dates raisins or prunes to be safe

I'm...not sure what you mean by that, maybe I used the wrong words, I don't know all the english medical terms. I don't have constipation, there's just not enough iron in my blood stream (do you say that in English? I might be wrong...) which makes me tired all the time.

Anyway, my question was whether there could be any negative side effects on drinking baby formula as an adult? I found some for ages 2 and up, so it shouldn't be too different...

I worked on calcium research project back in 1988 and the finding was that in a high calcium diet (milk diet) the high dose had an iron deficient anemia. The issue is that Calcium uptake and Iron up take are the same pathway. The body has a higher affinity to calcium then iron.

This is why it is suggested that one never uses a high iron/high calcium multivitamin. It would be better to take a high calcium multivitamin at one time and 8 hours later take an iron supplement.

I understood you just fine, I don't understand where Tetra got the constipation from :D??? I understood quite well that you were talking about anemia.

If you need more iron, then it is good to eat and drink things with a lot of iron in it, right? When I was low on iron, I ate parsley and drank red juices (red berries have iron) but I did not know about baby formula! Maybe someone knows more? A lot of people here drink baby formula without any problems, though.

EDIT: Ah, you got an answer while I was writing, good :3

Thank you guys^^ I checked the information on the formula I bought and it has indeed a lot of calcium...I guess I just have to take care not to drink too much of it (and maybe eat more high-iron foods...). But I've been drinking regular milk almost every day of my life and haven't had any problems (the low iron stuff was because of my vegetarian phase), and I actually think when I've finished this package I'll just go back to regular milk, it tastes better :p

I can't speak to your specific question on iron but I don't think the occasional use of baby formula would do any harm. Someone drinking formula a lot, on the other hand, may get into trouble. This all depends on how much is used, the specific minerals in the baby formula and the person's medical condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back